Introduction

4 years 2 months ago #676558 by Mark-Garety
Hi everyone. I'm new here to this forum, but have been a hobby photographer for nearly 10 years now. I have a day job as an engineer, but enjoy photography as one of my many creative outlets / hobbies. My wife and I have been married for nearly 10 years and we have two girls (5 & 7 years old) that have long tired out of being subjects of my photography :)

My into to photography started back in the early 2000's. I took B&W film photography in high school and learned the basics of exposure and manual controls back then, along with an introduction to composition, lighting, etc. to the extent that a 1 semester class in high school can teach you. I was using a full manual Pentax 35mm SLR camera from the 70s, so I had no assists and was forced to really learn the exposure triangle. I had a lot of fun with it, and it got me interested enough to want to keep it as a hobby long term.

Once I got out of college I picked up a used Nikon D90 DSLR and used that for a few years with the 18-105mm kit lens and a 35mm F1.8G DX lens. I went with a D90 over the typical entry level cameras because I wanted to have physical controls. Eventually I started running into the limitations of that camera (Low light and limited AF points), so I decided to upgrade to a D7000. I found a used one of those and sold my d90 off on ebay to pay for an old push-pull Nikon 80-200 F2.8 AF lens. I used that kit of equipment through the middle of 2017.

I had been starting to venture into speedlight photography and photographing people more. I feel like I was starting to develop my skills and confidence in that area (along with improving my overall skill level) when my camera started giving me problems in the summer of 2017. Mid camping trip, the D7000 started producting shots where every pixel was 100% black. Going through all the diagnosis elements ruled out anything mechanical or SD card related. It was something with the camera itself. Since this was just a hobby, we didn't have the disposable income at the time to repair or replace the camera, so it all got shelved. That's how it's been for 2 1/2 years, until now.

I just got back into the hobby with a new Nikon D610 body. I ordered it over the weekend, and it arrives tomorrow. I didn't see value in repairing or replacing the D7000 with another one in that same series. I wanted to use this opportunity to jump up to full frame, and the D610 was my target body due to price and value. I was prepared to spend $500 or so on a used body, but happened to stumble upon the bundle deals being offered that include the D610, 50mm F1.8G, Battery Grip & Wifi adapter for just under $900. I didn't have any of those items, and I had planned to get everythign but the wifi adapter anyway, so I jumped on the deal and ordered the bundle. So now I'm anxiously awaiting my new gear so I can pick up from where I left off 2.5 years ago.

For those that are intersted, here is a link to my flickr albums page. I've got some of the photographs I've captured over the years up there. Comments and Critiques are always welcome. Thanks!

https://www.flickr.com/photos/markag6/albums

4 years 1 month ago #676703 by Kyle Johnson
Yeah! You are welcome here Mark! 

4 years 1 month ago #676825 by Stephen Graham
Welcome! Welcome! 

4 years 1 month ago #677167 by Eshan Rachit
Nice narrative Mark! It is nice to meet you here. 

4 years 1 month ago #677310 by Jack Mason
Good job for joining the site! More power to you.

4 years 1 month ago #677480 by Bobby Mitchell
Welcome! Nice to know you!

4 years 3 weeks ago #680311 by Rohan Tushar
Welcome to the site! Nice to meet you! 

4 years 3 weeks ago #680461 by Daryl Flores
Welcome to the site and have fun here!

4 years 2 weeks ago #680749 by Aaron Rogers
Nice to meet you today! Welcome! 

4 years 2 weeks ago #680863 by Monica Martinez
Good day to you and welcome to the site! 

4 years 2 weeks ago #680998 by Stephen Graham
Hello! Welcome and stay safe! 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024