New to the community

3 years 4 months ago #703591 by andyspaces
Hi all,

Excited to start my new journey, learning about photography. I do not own a camera at the moment but I am considering purchasing one - I've had my eyes on Sony a6100 for a while but have started to second guess this.

My long term goal is to take spectacular landscape photos - this is the niche I want to start in. But every camera suited for this purpose seem to be very expensive. 

Do you have a suggestion on cameras, good for landscape, suited for a beginners? Preferably not too expensive, although I rather pay a little extra  than owning a camera not designed for this purpose of course!

Best!

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #703608 by Esseff
Firstly, welcome!  :welcomeclan

Secondly, I'm the opinion that any camera is better than no camera. Even a decent smartphone can take good pictures these days. And I highly recommend the second hand market if you're starting out. Nothing wrong with used gear. Beyond that, I doubt there is going to be too much difference between brands, especially if you're a beginner. Use what you have and get snapping.

3 years 4 months ago #703680 by Jin Hyuk Kwon
welcome to the site! Im happy to meet you. 

3 years 4 months ago #703811 by Hannah Williams
Yu! Enjoy your time learning more about photography in the site. 

3 years 4 months ago #703983 by andyspaces
Thank you all! Just purchased Sony A7 ii including lens. I know it has a few years now but could only find positive reviews about it - hopefully this will do for a learning experience!

Super excited to start taking pictures

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #704053 by Bobby Mitchell
And we are all excited to see your shots! Welcome!

3 years 3 months ago #705927 by andyspaces
So one week in with my new camera. I have to admit that this is more difficult than I thought! I have learned the basic settings but the most difficult part is to be creative and find nice compositions, especially when you don't live nearby any incredible location..

I have played around a little, mostly to practice so the pictures don't really tell a story at this point tbh. Feel free to provide input!

At this picture, I imagined the boat to be in the centre. Should probably have zoomed a little bit more? It kind of disappears..

This one I am fairly happy with!

Macro attempt. A bit blurry in the foreground, preferably wanted the most foreground to be in focus.

Btw, is a 299 dollar course worth it? Or is it better to keep practicing and learning by doing?

Best

Photo Comments
Attachments:
3 years 3 months ago #706440 by KCook
"Telling a story" is a tough challenge, even after decades of experience. I'm happy to settle for a shot that is just charming or interesting.

#1 - If the boat was your subject, yeah, zoom in a lot. The shot is a little under exposed. And I would crop out the jumble of weeds at the bottom.

#2 - If you're happy, that's all that is important.

#3 - Focusing for macro photography can be a challenge. Experiment by trying different apertures and focus techniques.

I would not pay $300 for a course. You can buy a lot of books for that amount! I have a few examples on my blog -

photographyintro.com/composition-books/

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

3 years 3 months ago #706488 by Stephen Graham
Welcome to the site! We are all glad to meet you!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024