New to the community

9 months 2 weeks ago #703591 by andyspaces
Hi all,

Excited to start my new journey, learning about photography. I do not own a camera at the moment but I am considering purchasing one - I've had my eyes on Sony a6100 for a while but have started to second guess this.

My long term goal is to take spectacular landscape photos - this is the niche I want to start in. But every camera suited for this purpose seem to be very expensive. 

Do you have a suggestion on cameras, good for landscape, suited for a beginners? Preferably not too expensive, although I rather pay a little extra  than owning a camera not designed for this purpose of course!

Best!

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

9 months 2 weeks ago #703608 by Esseff
Firstly, welcome!  :welcomeclan

Secondly, I'm the opinion that any camera is better than no camera. Even a decent smartphone can take good pictures these days. And I highly recommend the second hand market if you're starting out. Nothing wrong with used gear. Beyond that, I doubt there is going to be too much difference between brands, especially if you're a beginner. Use what you have and get snapping.

9 months 2 weeks ago #703680 by Jin Hyuk Kwon
welcome to the site! Im happy to meet you. 

9 months 2 weeks ago #703811 by Hannah Williams
Yu! Enjoy your time learning more about photography in the site. 

9 months 2 weeks ago #703983 by andyspaces
Thank you all! Just purchased Sony A7 ii including lens. I know it has a few years now but could only find positive reviews about it - hopefully this will do for a learning experience!

Super excited to start taking pictures

Photo Comments

9 months 2 weeks ago #704053 by Bobby Mitchell
And we are all excited to see your shots! Welcome!

8 months 3 weeks ago #705927 by andyspaces
So one week in with my new camera. I have to admit that this is more difficult than I thought! I have learned the basic settings but the most difficult part is to be creative and find nice compositions, especially when you don't live nearby any incredible location..

I have played around a little, mostly to practice so the pictures don't really tell a story at this point tbh. Feel free to provide input!

At this picture, I imagined the boat to be in the centre. Should probably have zoomed a little bit more? It kind of disappears..

This one I am fairly happy with!

Macro attempt. A bit blurry in the foreground, preferably wanted the most foreground to be in focus.

Btw, is a 299 dollar course worth it? Or is it better to keep practicing and learning by doing?

Best

Photo Comments
Attachments:

8 months 2 weeks ago #706440 by KCook
"Telling a story" is a tough challenge, even after decades of experience. I'm happy to settle for a shot that is just charming or interesting.

#1 - If the boat was your subject, yeah, zoom in a lot. The shot is a little under exposed. And I would crop out the jumble of weeds at the bottom.

#2 - If you're happy, that's all that is important.

#3 - Focusing for macro photography can be a challenge. Experiment by trying different apertures and focus techniques.

I would not pay $300 for a course. You can buy a lot of books for that amount! I have a few examples on my blog -

photographyintro.com/composition-books/

Kelly Cook

Canon 50D, Olympus PL2
kellycook.zenfolio.com/

8 months 2 weeks ago #706488 by Stephen Graham
Welcome to the site! We are all glad to meet you!

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon PowerShot G5 X II isn't a professional camera by any means, but if you're looking for a small, capable, compact camera, this might be the one for you.

Sep 02, 2021

If you think a nearly decade-old camera can't still hack it, you're wrong. Though it isn't perfect, the Fujifilm X-E2 is still a solid camera.

Sep 02, 2021

The Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 is five years old now, but does it still pass muster as a quality camera in 2021? Find out in this detailed review!

Aug 24, 2021

The original Olympus OM-D E-M10 is still a solid buy in 2021. Check out this complete review to learn why.

Aug 16, 2021
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

With these wedding photography accessories, you'll not only look good, but you'll also have gear that helps improve your workflow.

Sep 16, 2021

There are many benefits of buying used lenses, not the least of which is that you can save some money. Check out this guide for even more reasons to buy used.

Sep 15, 2021

Understanding what to charge for commercial real estate photography services is paramount to your success - now and in the future.

Sep 14, 2021

In this year's edition of our holiday gift guides, we've got some fantastic gifts for photographers that will cost you less than $150

Sep 14, 2021

There are many advantages of LED lighting for portraits. Learn a few of the best benefits of this kind of lighting in this portrait photography lighting tutorial.

Sep 13, 2021

Use these beginner photography tips to learn how to get started in photography and how to be comfortable behind the lens.

Sep 13, 2021

In this short guide, learn a few tips on how to print photos so you can get beautiful prints of your favorite images quickly and easily.

Sep 13, 2021

Use these tips for printing on metal, including guidance on the best images for metal prints, to get the most impressive results.

Sep 10, 2021