Question about mounting Nikon 70-200mm lens

12 years 7 months ago #131211 by Fiesta!
I just bought this lens today :banana: Now this is by far the heaviest lens I own. I hate to ask a dumb question, but can the connect between the camera and lens be damaged if I have the camera hanging from my neck or shoulder with out holding the lens?

Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago - 12 years 6 months ago #131214 by MLKstudios
My method and one I've used for many years (wait for everyone to disagree due to dust), is to hold the camera from the back with the mount facing UP with your right hand, and mount the lens with your left. Line up the marks first then gently drop the lens in with a twist. The chances of dropping the lens are lessened.

Matthew

In anything photographic, never use force. When it comes to a point where you think force is required to "fix it" is the time to take it in to an expert.

Matthew L Kees
MLK Studios Photography School
www.MLKstudios.com
[email protected]
"Every artist, was once an amateur"

12 years 7 months ago #132053 by effron
There are times I use my 24-70 2.8 on my D700 for walkaround, and it is a heavy combo. With strap around neck I still hold combo by lens most of the time mainly for balance, and to take strain off my neck. I don't think it will hurt the linkage to hang camera, however in my case it doesn't feel too good to have that sucker banging in to my ribs too much....:)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
12 years 7 months ago #132149 by John Landolfi
I find that the tripod mounting foot that comes with the lens is a very good handle to use when mounting it, and good to hold when shooting hand-held

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #133706 by Borrowlenses
You could damage the mount yes, but not on something like a 24-70. The 70-200 and up though - for sure. Always handle the lens/camera by holding the lens at all times. If you ever find you don't have ahold of the lens with at least one hand you could have problems.

Online Camera Gear Rental - www.BorrowLenses.com
12 years 6 months ago #133759 by Scotty

Fiesta! wrote: I just bought this lens today :banana: Now this is by far the heaviest lens I own. I hate to ask a dumb question, but can the connect between the camera and lens be damaged if I have the camera hanging from my neck or shoulder with out holding the lens?

No.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #134067 by KenMan
So how is that fixed then? Would it be the camera or lens that would be damaged?

Photo Comments
12 years 6 months ago #136062 by Akearney
I've the same lens but with a D3x body - basically double the weight, LOL.

I have a Kirk quick mount "L" bracket on the body all the time so I also use a Kirk shoulder strap that clamps onto the Arca-Swiss style mount. The strap is great 'cause it makes the camera/lens (any lens) hang around my back (almost), around my hip/back, upside down.

I've clamped to the camera and that was OK but I tried the tripod mount and like it better IMHO. I've also mounted lens/camera to my tripod and carry it on my shoulder, again no apparent problems.

And you're right, it's a very heavy package!

Alan

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024