Macro Lens

12 years 6 months ago #145309 by DawnyK
Hi guys,

I'm looking at getting a Macro lens in the not too distant future... I now have a Nikon D5100 - I used to own Canon and a macro lens - however, I no longer have these... :(

I've been doing some research on the Macro 105mm Nikkor lens :drool:... and the Sigma 105mm macro lens...

In your opinion... (and I'm still a beginner... ) Which lens is best ? Apart from the Sigma being cheaper...
I've really already said to myself I'll save up for the Nikkor lens... However... Is it really necessary ? :huh:

Happy Clicking

Dawn

12 years 6 months ago #145321 by robbie
Some third party lenses are as good as Nikon at a much cheaper price but you need a good review
forum.....check this out...
www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/showcat.php?cat=12

12 years 6 months ago #145322 by srfotog
I just purchased the Nikon 105mm and have used it for just a day. I love it for macro as you don't have to get so close to the subject. It's also great for distance. I also have the Nikon 60mm and love that one, too. I think the advantage of a 105 over the 60 is you don't need a ring light for daytime photos. I am hopeing to get a ring light as my next purchase, but after spending so much for the lens, that will have to wait.

I will say, though, if you can only get one right now and will be saving for the Nikon to purchase later on, perhaps the 60mm would be just fine for now. I've had my 60mm for about six months and it takes beautiful closeups.

I just switched this year from Canon to Nikon, so I'm replacing all of my equipment as I can. I did have a sigma lens for the Canon Rebel and it took really nice pictures. Personally, I'd stick with the Nikon brand, but that just me.

12 years 6 months ago #145542 by Borrowlenses
The Nkkor 105mm f/2.8 VR Micro is an amazing lens in ever respect. I have not shot with the Sigma but LOVE the Nikon.

It's expensive but not as bad as the other lenses in its class (like the 14-24, 24-70, etc). It's amazing for portrait work and micro - a truly versatile lens in all regards.

You can always rent one too and see if you like it.

Online Camera Gear Rental - www.BorrowLenses.com
12 years 6 months ago #145754 by cod
It's hard to find a bad macro lens. The Sigma macros get good reviews. I use the Sigma 180mm macro. In my film days I used the Nikon 200mm macro. There is no meaningful difference in image quality between them in my opinion, but the Sigma is a lot cheaper.

Chris O'Donoghue
Winnipeg, Canada
codonoghue.prosite.com

12 years 6 months ago #146328 by Joves
Well if you want inexpensive then there is the new 40mm Micro. There is a thread on it in this section with a video review.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024