SC-29 Stuck on Hotshoe

11 years 9 months ago #237874 by We Design Albums.com
So we have a camera here, a D90 that was used on a bracket with a Nikon SC-29 off camera sync chord where the top is stuck on the hot shoe mount of the camera.

It is unlocked. I can feel and see that it tightens down when it is locked and becomes looser when unlocked. It appears that the locking pin, located all the way to the front of the camera, is stuck in the down position and in the camera.

Nikon simply said "send it in for repair". Any suggestions? We have tried just about everything we can think of and then some.

We are most likely going to take apart the cord, but that will require some very tiny screwdrivers as the camera body itself is running blocker for the 4 screws located on the bottom.

Just thought I would ask if anyone out there had a magic answer.

Thanks!

We Design Albums.com
1-800-932-5286

11 years 9 months ago #237910 by Dr M
Taking that apart might prove to be challenging as there are 4 screws on the bottom part of that. The crummy part about that is there is no play room. Those are snug fits to keep those contacts in place. Have you tried holding camera upside down and LIGHTLY tapping the metal part of hot shoe with screw driver while trying to pull off the SC-29? Those are spring loaded (single pin in front) and if it's come apart inside holding upside down and tapping it might cause it to pop out of place long enough to remove from camera.

I'll check with a friend to see what else I can find on the subject.

Good luck!

11 years 9 months ago #237927 by Dr M
Just got off phone with my friend and he was scratching his head too. Never heard one of these getting stuck before.

11 years 9 months ago #237953 by Vahrenkamp
I had to look at mine to see how that was even possible. How long has that been connected to the camera? I would try that above and hope that there is some grim that might be causing that to stick, hopefully that comes loose. I even searched on Google and could find nothing. If it's grim, might be worth to shoot some compressed air in the seam and cross fingers something frees up.

Keep us posted on this.

-Brad

Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago - 11 years 9 months ago #237993 by effron
It might just be ....HAMMER time......:P

Seriously, it might be inconvenient, but you should "send it to Nikon"....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #238254 by Superman
How long was this on the camera? I have one and just messed around with my D90 and honestly can't see how this has happened. I have turned the lock twist on SC-29 while trying to hold the pin and it's tough to grip. When you twist the SC-29 lock lever do you feel tension?

Nikon D90 & D40 18-55mm, 55-200mm, 35mm, 50mm, 105mm, SB600
Photo Comments
11 years 9 months ago #238919 by We Design Albums.com
Well, this is actually a bracket and cord that is typically used with a D200. A coworker prefers to use the D90 and borrowed this bracket and cord. It was only on this camera for the weekend. Come Monday, it would not come off.

I can feel it lock down when the lock switch is turned and I can feel it loosen. I can get a very thin piece of metal to slide up underneath all of the connection pins, as they are pointed pins and when the metal touches them it can slide under and they retract. However, the locking pin is a cylinder and evidently fit too snugly in the D90 and just will not lift out.

Thanks for your advice. Once we get it off, I will share how with you all.

We Design Albums.com
1-800-932-5286

11 years 9 months ago #239316 by effron
I'd be very careful about sliding anything conductive under or between contacts, to the point of not doing it. If you must, take the battery out first. The hot shoe on a D90 is exactly the same as the hot shoe on a D200, so I don't see that as an issue. I hope you can get it off without damage.....:(

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024