Nikon D810 - Exploiting the Pro's and Con's

8 years 9 months ago #441739 by Jim Steyvoort
Hey peeps,

I'd like to get a discussion going on the Nikon D810.  The fact that I'm looking at the camera means I think it's a good camera.  What I would like to do is hear from the owners of this camera, the fans of this camera.  Bottom line, I want to hear the pro's and con's of owning this camera. 

Do you think the camera is lacking something?

Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago #441740 by Jim Steyvoort
*Currently I'm a D600 owner. 

Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago #441741 by Screamin Scott
Only nit I can think of is that the file size is huge.... Hope you have plenty of Hard Drive space.... (externals are cheap enough though)

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago #441758 by tganiats
I have a D800 (not 800E), and I almost got the D810.  Love the D800 but wish I didn't have the AA filter.  And the D810 is better.   A step up from the D600?  Yes.  Worth it?...depends on your use and budget

8 years 9 months ago #441761 by garyrhook
Pro: detail, detail, detail. 36MP is a lot of data.

Con: pathetic frame rate.

I considered a D800 or D810for a while, but as sson as the D750 was announced it shot right to the top of my GAS list.

Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago #441780 by effron
I own the D800 and haven't thought for a minute of going with a D810. Frame rate is fine, it does fine burst for me and I shoot maximum sized files. File size means nothing as HDs are cheap, but I like this camera when I need to crop a shot of a small bird or insect for example. The AA filter also means zip as either way this is NOT a hand holder, especially at slower shutter speeds. Night shooting it works great, but where the camera shines is in landscapes. Simply amazing and I don't see where the D810 would improve on that. I would upgrade to a D810 from a D600 though, that's just me.....:unsure:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago #441799 by Vespista
Very timely discussion. Thankyou!
I'm a D700 owner and have been thinking about the 810.
I shoot mainly Food and Product but take my camera traveling too.
I'll be watching this thread with interest!

Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago #441820 by tganiats
effron says

The AA filter also means zip as either way this is NOT a hand holder, especially at slower shutter speeds. 

I don't understand.  How does the AA filter relate to hand holding?  We're talking the purposeful lack of sharpness induced by the AA filter???   Thanks.

8 years 9 months ago #441831 by effron
AA filter or not, the tightly packed sensor in either D800 or D810 makes hand holding at low speeds tougher. The filter's absence will NOT make up for poor technique. Post sharpening is all that's required...

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago #441848 by tganiats
effron says

AA filter or not, the tightly packed sensor in either D800 or D810 makes hand holding at low speeds tougher. The filter's absence will NOT make up for poor technique. Post sharpening is all that's required...

Yes.  I agree.   Good technique is needed with D800/810!

8 years 9 months ago #441850 by Screamin Scott
No matter what camera, good technique is crucial...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago #442314 by Sawyer

Screamin Scott wrote: No matter what camera, good technique is crucial...

Isn't that the truth

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago #442321 by Scotty

The d800's res is so high combined with the camera's mirrors slap that if you want maximum sharpness and resolution, you want to weight it down on a tripod.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago #442503 by JaneK

Scotty wrote:

The d800's res is so high combined with the camera's mirrors slap that if you want maximum sharpness and resolution, you want to weight it down on a tripod.

Not to ask a dumb question, but are you talking about with actual weights? 

Photo Comments
8 years 9 months ago #442557 by garyrhook

JaneK wrote:

Scotty wrote:

Not to ask a dumb question, but are you talking about with actual weights? 

Yes, he is.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024