Warning! Nikon Canada Will Void Warranty Without Proof

8 years 10 months ago - 8 years 10 months ago #442753 by JeremyS
I wanted to inform people about my recent experience with Nikon Canada's Customer Service. Sadly it was nowhere near what I thought Nikon would be.

Some back story into the situation before I explain what happened. I'm a photographer that babies his gear. I never have a lens cap off, the cameras and lenses are cleaned regularly, they are never outside of a bag unless I am using them and when travelling I usually end up double bagging my gear inside of two different camera bags (Lens case and then a camera bag holding the lens cases), inside of a carry on piece of luggage that doesn't leave my side.
Anyway, you have probably got the message that I wouldn't let my camera fall or face an impact or be bumped, especially not misused and abused.

Recently in March of 2015, I was on a vacation at the Grand Canyon taking photos and my top LCD panel cracked. How this happened, only god knows, it cracked between the time I put it in my camera bag, in the car on my lap, and the time I took it out of the camera bag 15 minutes later from my lap. This rules out any kind of impact damage causing the crack.
To get to Nikon's Customer Service. I sent in a service request to Nikon and was told this would not cover warranty (even though the warranty is 2 years against manufacturers flaws, which I could easily argue that this was) They then decided that it would be fair to charge me 300$ in repairs. I declined this because I felt that it is impossible for me to be told that because I dropped it, or misused my camera that it would not cover warranty.

Nikon then proceeded to tell me that I must have had my camera subjected to temperatures below 20 degrees Celsius, which in case you were not aware of the temperatures at the grand canyon in March hovers between 15 degrees and -5 Degrees. On that day it was no colder than -3 Degrees. After they backpedaled from that they said that the warranty should have been honored. After this bout of communication I sent in my camera for repair. After sending it in for repair two weeks ago (delayed due to the camera needing to be in use for various reasons) I was told that they would no longer honor the warranty.
After calling customer service they refused to believe a customer and were not listening to the situation, the customer service representative then hung up the phone and refused to let us speak to a supervisor. Upon calling another department to circumnavigate the representative that would not let us proceed to talk to people who are able to help with the situation we were finally in touch with a manager. While on the phone with the manager, they were again refusing to believe that the damage could not have been caused by impact. Even with the proof we could supply, the supervisor was insisting that if it did not leave the Nikon facility with a crack on the LCD panel, then they are not held accountable. This is a ploy to get out of their warranty which they refuse to honor. After going through this conversation in circles a few times once more I was disgusted at the amount of uncaring and disregard for me, a loyal customer of Nikon since I picked up my first camera. I expected Nikon to honor their customers and honor warranties that they have. They then changed their tune to try and say that it is not their fault if it was caused by ice build up, because instead of it being subjected to below 20 degrees, it is now not covered by the warranty if the camera is in an environment with temperatures below 0 degrees Celsius.

I had hoped that Nikon would respect their users and value our loyalty to them, however I have found otherwise. I will never be bringing another item in for a servicing at Nikon Canada, instead I will be bringing it to another repair center which I know will be honorable and not give me the run around and try to get out of whatever "warranty" they say.
Has a situation like this ever happened to anyone else?

Since I wrote this letter Nikon has continued to give me no proof of the "Impact Damage" and they also refuse to answer questions that directly regard my camera. 

Take this as a warning if you are in Canada and have a problem with your camera in the early years. Nikon doesn't want to hear your story, and they will void their "Warranty" by citing whatever they want to get out of it. 

8 years 10 months ago #442950 by garyrhook
Geez....:angry:

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #442995 by Jessy Page
I would call Professional services in US and speak to someone else, doesn't sound right 

Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #443005 by effron
That's too bad, but I have had only good CS from Nikon. Maybe just a Canadier thing?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 10 months ago #443016 by Don Fischer
Just wondering, is Nikon Canada a gray camera? How come you went through them if it happened at the Grand canyon? Are you a Canada resident? I've dealt with Nikon a few time's in the U.S. and been more than satisfied with them.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024