Nikon 18-200mm good lens for starting out on a Nikon D7200?

8 years 8 months ago #451330 by James F
I just posted in another thread about just getting started and bought my first camera.  It's a Nikon D7200 and I picked up a 50mm lens.  I want to get another lens, how is the 18-200mm for just getting started?  

Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago #451331 by JeremyS
It is a good lens but it is sort of like the old saying jack of all trades, master of none. 

It can be versatile however it is not optimal in any area. I'd look more towards establishing 3 focal length zones. Those zones being ultrawide (10-24mm), standard (24-100mm), and telephoto (100mm+). Your 50mm would currently function as a standard zone. evaluate what other zone you'd like to have the most. Personally, I would be gearing towards telephoto because you can get more use out of it. 

8 years 8 months ago #451335 by effron
You'll like it at first, then the need for something that fits your interests will hit. Maybe you'll discover macro, no good with the 18-200...Or bird photography.....not long enough....night photography? Too slow and suffers lens creep after a while. That being said, some of the most incredible landscape photography I've ever seen was shot by a Russian using a D40 and the 18-200. (Wish I still had the link). Your camera and lens should rarely be the  limiting factor.....:dry:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 8 months ago - 8 years 8 months ago #451373 by garyrhook
As I always state when this question arises, it's a fine walkaround lens. You're learning; buy a used one (~$400 IIRC) if you can. It will do you well, and if you take care of it you'll be able to sell it later one, probably for close to what you paid.

With good PP you can do fine work with that lens. These were taken during a trip to Italy in 2012. No flash, all hand-held.

Every image in my Italia album was taken with that lens, and processed through LR and PS.

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #451396 by Shadowfixer1
The 18-200 lens is a lot better than some people will give it credit for. I bought the first one in Atlanta. I found it to be a very good lens. I never felt compelled to get anything else in that range. I did add the 105 VR macro and the 80-400 VR for more specific shooting. I think you would be pleased with this lens until you know a specific reason you need something else.
8 years 7 months ago #452055 by Gump
IMO excellent lens regardless if you are just starting out or seasoned photographer

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #452381 by One Creative Girl
Gary, I just love that first black and white photo.  So much going on there. 

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: garyrhook
8 years 7 months ago #452752 by James F
Those photos are amazing, I'm sold.  Thanks for sharing

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #453086 by MM Images
Gary - where was that first photo taken? 

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #453166 by garyrhook

MM Images wrote: Gary - where was that first photo taken? 

In the order shown above,
  1. Il Duomo, in Milan.
  2. Outside Sforza Castle, in Milan
  3. The small spires atop Il Duomo
  4. Galleria Vittoria Emanuele II, at the Piazza del Duomo, in Milan
Look out for the pigeon scammers (i.e. the non-Italians).

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #453180 by Alex
This was one of the first lens that I owned. For me, I thought it was an awesome everyday lens.  The f/3.5-5.6 might not be the quickest lens, but it worked for what I needed it for. 

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #453334 by MM Images
Great advice, thank you all.  I did order this lens and can't wait to get it!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024