Nikon 18-200mm vs Nikon 70-200mm

8 years 7 months ago #454028 by Otto F
Morning.  I've been on the fence about getting the 70-200mm as an upgrade to my currently owned 18-200mm.   I dropped my 18-200mm in sand this morning, so putting more thought into just getting the new lens. 

Aside from the f/2.8 vs the f/3.5, what other plus's are there to this 70-200mm? 

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago - 8 years 7 months ago #454029 by Screamin Scott

70-200 is a Pro quality lens with a fixed aperture unlike the variable aperture of the more consumer grade 18-200. With a shorter zoom range, there are fewer compromises in the optical construction of the  70-200 as well... Downsides of the 70-200 are cost, weight & size....Also, the 70-200 is an FX format lens, the 18-200 is a DX...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #454100 by Shadowfixer1
Two totally different animals for totally different uses.
8 years 7 months ago #454106 by garyrhook
The 18-200 is a walk-around lens, very convenient.

The 70-200 is heavy. And there's no short end. You have to change lenses. That's why it's often paired with a 24-70 (another expensive lens).

As stated above, two different beasts. Everything depends upon what you want to do.

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #454321 by Zeberk
18-200mm is an awesome lens, but the 70-200mm will be a faster and sharper lens

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #454423 by Otto F
Crystal clear.  Actually semi on the fence now.   Hmmmmmm

Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #454450 by effron
Go back and review some of your photos taken with the 18-200, see what the predominant range was. Maybe most of your shots were in the 30mm to 70mm area for example, or most over 100mm. That will tell what you need. Of course, you could be like me and let desire overrule need in most cases.....:P

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 7 months ago #454534 by Shadowfixer1

Otto F wrote: Crystal clear.  Actually semi on the fence now.   Hmmmmmm

If this is a lens you will have on your camera almost all the time, I promise you will regret getting the 70-200. It's not a walk about full time lens. When you need it you need it but the size and weight does not make a practical all the time lens.
8 years 6 months ago #455166 by Otto F

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

If this is a lens you will have on your camera almost all the time, I promise you will regret getting the 70-200. It's not a walk about full time lens. When you need it you need it but the size and weight does not make a practical all the time lens.

Can I assume from your remark that you have both of these and like the 18-200mm more?  

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago - 8 years 6 months ago #455300 by garyrhook

Otto F wrote: Can I assume from your remark that you have both of these and like the 18-200mm more?  

I think you can assume that he has personal experience with both, although not necessarily simultaneously. Whether he does or not, I do. I've used both. I own the big boy. And he is 100% correct in his comments.

Which is why I posted images from using the 18-200. To demonstrate that it's quite capable. And not heavy. But I love my 70-200 and have no regrets.

Photo Comments
8 years 6 months ago #455328 by Shadowfixer1

Otto F wrote:

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

Can I assume from your remark that you have both of these and like the 18-200mm more?  

Like it more? No, but like I said before they have different purposes. You would carry around the 18-200 all the time and you wouldn't the 70-200. The 70-200 is not a practical full time lens. I guess it could be if you don't want versatility and don't mind the weight and size. 
8 years 6 months ago #456154 by Gammill

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Two totally different animals for totally different uses.

+1 agree 

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024