Nikon owners: Which lenses do you use the most?

8 years 1 month ago #473830 by James F
Hey guys, one more post.  I'm shopping around for a new lens and all over the place in which lenses I'm looking at.  

Which do you have in your camera bag and which do you use the most?  

Any you would say was bad investment? 

Photo Comments
8 years 1 month ago #473836 by Denise Lattimer
I'm in love with my Sigma 50mm f/1.4. Great sharpness. Incredible contrast. It's wonderful for portraiture. I use it for everyday shooting as well. It's my favorite by far!

Photo Comments
8 years 1 month ago #473838 by Screamin Scott
My answer is "it depends". Having said that, my most used lens is a 105 manual focus macro lens since macro is my niche. Shooting other types of images will mean I'll change out according to what I'm shooting.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
8 years 1 month ago #473922 by effron
About half my shots lately I have used my af-s 300 f/4, the other half split between my 105 f/2.8 micro and 16-34 f/4....
Depends on my mood?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 1 month ago #474057 by Owen
Either my 35mm or my 70-200mm are both used on regular basis 

Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #484316 by Scotty
Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II was my best purchase and most used lens.  I'm thinking of selling the 24-70 f/2.8G for the 24-120 f/4 (newest variant). I've heard from some NPS members they prefer it over and i've seen their results, and it's half the price.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #484354 by effron

Scotty wrote: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II was my best purchase and most used lens.  I'm thinking of selling the 24-70 f/2.8G for the 24-120 f/4 (newest variant). I've heard from some NPS members they prefer it over and i've seen their results, and it's half the price.

I won't sell mine, however I wish it didn't weigh a half ton. It makes for a pretty heavy "walk around" lens.....:angry:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #484398 by Scotty

effron wrote:

Scotty wrote: Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 VR II was my best purchase and most used lens.  I'm thinking of selling the 24-70 f/2.8G for the 24-120 f/4 (newest variant). I've heard from some NPS members they prefer it over and i've seen their results, and it's half the price.

I won't sell mine, however I wish it didn't weigh a half ton. It makes for a pretty heavy "walk around" lens.....:angry:

Do you use the 2.8 enough to warrant not switching to the 24-120?

Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #484469 by effron

Scotty wrote:

effron wrote:

Probably not, but I have a 24-120 f/4 and don't like it as much. 

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #484473 by Screamin Scott
If I don't have a macro lens attached, I'll have either a Tamron 17-50mm F2.8 or a Nikkor 2 ring 80-200mm F2.8 on the camera. Actually, I'll have either one of those 2 on my D300 body as my D7100 normally has a macro attached. I do switch out those 2 lenses to others depending on what I'm shooting.

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #484495 by Scotty

effron wrote:

Scotty wrote:

effron wrote:

The newest variant, and if so why?

Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #484519 by effron

Scotty wrote:

effron wrote:

Scotty wrote:

effron wrote:

Not the newest, but I won't get one. I like my 24-70....(as long as I don't need to carry it all day)....There are other lenses ahead of that on my "want" list....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #484531 by Scotty

effron wrote:

Scotty wrote:

effron wrote:

Scotty wrote:

effron wrote:

Not the newest, but I won't get one. I like my 24-70....(as long as I don't need to carry it all day)....There are other lenses ahead of that on my "want" list....

Newer one is supposed to be sharper than the 24-70, lighter and cheaper.  You just don't get the f/2.8.  

I hear you on the "want" list though.

Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago #485582 by effron

Scotty wrote:

effron wrote:

Scotty wrote:

effron wrote:

Scotty wrote:

effron wrote:

Newer one is supposed to be sharper than the 24-70, lighter and cheaper.  You just don't get the f/2.8.  

I hear you on the "want" list though.

Number one on my "want" list is the 600 f/4 afs. My wife gives me seriously dirty looks when she sees it on my computer monitor...
(usually viewing at the B&H site)....:)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 10 months ago - 7 years 10 months ago #485585 by Screamin Scott
I'd have to agree that the #1 item on my want list would be a fast AF super tele also. My longest right now are a MF 400mm F5.6 EDIF & the original 80-400mm VR Nikkors (not counting mirror lenses that is)

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024