Nikon 24-70mm f/2.8 VR price tag??

8 years 22 hours ago #476010 by Flying Pig
$2400??  this is nearly at $700 price hike over the non VR 24-70mm.  Anyone fork out the extra cash for this lens yet? 

www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1175033-R..._24_70mm_f_2_8e.html

What's your feelings on the lens?

Photo Comments
8 years 17 hours ago #476026 by effron
Not me, I'm good with the older, non VR version....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
8 years 15 hours ago #476031 by JeremyS
I believe it would be a good purchase... the old 24-70 is pushing 9 years old and has older technology inside of it. The new 24-70 not only has VR but also an E notation, indicating an electromagnetic diaphragm which ensures quality with exposure even under conditions of high speed photos. On top of that, the competition's 24-70's are newer technology that top the old 24-70 in many ways. 

For the extra price it may not be 100% worth it, but if you are deciding between the new vs the old nikon 24-70, the new one blows away the older one. if you want the old one or the new one is too expensive, look at the tamron 24-70. 

8 years 15 hours ago #476032 by Screamin Scott
IMHO, most of these hyper expensive fast zooms are overkill for most shooters. Personally, I'll settle for slightly older technology at a much reduced price, as they were still computer designed lenses.. I sure don't need VR on a lens that only goes to 70mm & much of the other "improvements" are minimal compared to what you have to pay for the. As for the differences being minimal, most review sites like DXO Mark bench test their lenses & real world shooting will negate many of the improvements as compared to older tech.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #476153 by Peter Nunez

Takennnn wrote: I believe it would be a good purchase... the old 24-70 is pushing 9 years old and has older technology inside of it. The new 24-70 not only has VR but also an E notation, indicating an electromagnetic diaphragm which ensures quality with exposure even under conditions of high speed photos. On top of that, the competition's 24-70's are newer technology that top the old 24-70 in many ways. 

For the extra price it may not be 100% worth it, but if you are deciding between the new vs the old nikon 24-70, the new one blows away the older one. if you want the old one or the new one is too expensive, look at the tamron 24-70. 

Anyone else just amazed when you look at where technology has gone in recent years.  Manufactures are really doing what they can to close what ever gaps they can on people not taking good photos.  Now granted there are some skills that regardless of what camera or lens you have, if you don't have it, you don't have it.  Still amazing. 

As for me, older gear is just fine.  

Photo Comments
7 years 11 months ago #476192 by Joves

Screamin Scott wrote: IMHO, most of these hyper expensive fast zooms are overkill for most shooters. Personally, I'll settle for slightly older technology at a much reduced price, as they were still computer designed lenses.. I sure don't need VR on a lens that only goes to 70mm & much of the other "improvements" are minimal compared to what you have to pay for the. As for the differences being minimal, most review sites like DXO Mark bench test their lenses & real world shooting will negate many of the improvements as compared to older tech.

:agree:
Yeah I never saw much use of VR on anything shorter than 105mm myself. Good technique trumps technology any day of the week. The only lens that I would even think of getting the newer version would be my 80-400, and that is only for the focusing motor over the screw drive. It seems that small improvements are costing a lot more. Also I love the little timer trying to get you to buy now for expedited shipping.

7 years 9 months ago #484298 by Scotty
It's just a tad sharper and a lot longers and heavier than the one it replaced. 

I'm disappointed in it but to each their own.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #484362 by effron

Scotty wrote: It's just a tad sharper and a lot longers and heavier than the one it replaced. 

Yeah, the original weighs quite enough.......

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #484395 by Scotty

effron wrote:

Scotty wrote: It's just a tad sharper and a lot longers and heavier than the one it replaced. 

Yeah, the original weighs quite enough.......

You're telling me. Heavily considering switching over the new 24-120 f/4

Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #484425 by effron
I shot a small low key wedding over the weekend, used the D700 and 24-70 mostly....for the reception I grabbed the D800 and slapped on a 50 f/1.8 for some back and neck relief......(glad I don't do those events for a living these days. The phone camera shooters were a nightmare!):angry:

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #484500 by Don Fischer
Speaking of "a tad sharper", how sharp is sharp enough? I strongly suspect that photo's we got with camera's many years ago were sharper than could be detected with the human eye.

7 years 9 months ago #484517 by effron
The not oft used term is "acceptably" sharp.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #484535 by Scotty

Don Fischer wrote: Speaking of "a tad sharper", how sharp is sharp enough? I strongly suspect that photo's we got with camera's many years ago were sharper than could be detected with the human eye.

Look up at a Nikon 200mm F/2.0.   We still have ways to go, or some of the Zeiss lenses.

Photo Comments
7 years 9 months ago #484542 by Stealthy Ninja
Sell it all and go Fuji
7 years 9 months ago #484544 by Scotty

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Sell it all and go Fuji

They need to start paying you.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024