Nikon D90 Battery Drain during Video

6 years 11 months ago #525159 by lensonwheels
I am getting into VLogging and have the  Rode Go External Mic for good audio quality.

I have the following cameras.
1.       NikonAW 130 – Point and Shoot, Weather Proof camera with Built-In-Mic.
a.      No support for externa mic makes audio an issue.

2.       NikonD90 – DX Format camera – Provision to attach external mic
With LiveView on my battery drainsin just 5 mins.
Lack of auto focus for video –requires me constantly adjust as per subject.
That defeats video for a Vlog setup

3.       NikonD810 – FX  Format camera – Provision toattach external mic
Too big for a VLOG
I would rather use it purely for high end photography

I am particularly interested to know about D90 and D810 for the Vlog Set up
Why does a D90 battery drain this fast for video – is something wrong with my battery? It hardly lasts for 5 mins. The battery bar starts blinking and the camera goes off.  Tried cleaning the terminals, recharging to full state etc.  There  is no issue however when doing photo shoots. It  works just fine, as I use manual focus andLiveView off. It  lasts through the day.

Please advise.
Thank you so much. 

6 years 11 months ago - 6 years 11 months ago #525370 by effron
Not sure the battery is "newish"? In my D800,  two or three,  three year old batteries shoot for a couple days EACH, normal photography, many hundreds of pics, not much live view but auto review on.  What does yours show in camera battery info?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 11 months ago #525440 by Screamin Scott
I also wonder of the state of the battery.... What does the battery info show in the sub menu on the camera ?

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: lensonwheels
6 years 11 months ago #525470 by rogdel
Recording video is generally just a more taxing process on a camera than simply taking a picture, but that doesn't sound right. Do you have another battery that you can test out? It sounds like it could be an issue with the battery itself.

Photo Comments
6 years 11 months ago #525527 by lensonwheels
Dear Rogdel,  

I dont have a spare battery but while shooting pics the battery meter stays  at full for pretty long even after many shots and live view off.

Dear Screaming Shot, 

The battery info shows - 100%. 
The  meter shows 0  (for 0 -4 with 0 being new )

6 years 11 months ago #525528 by nihiqekatu
  1. Make sure there are no deep scratches or other smudges on the metal contacts on the battery on on the metal contacts inside the battery compartment. Anything that interferes with the ability of the metal contacts to make a close connection may cause below average battery performance on the camera.
  2. Don't use the zoom lens unless you actually need it. Avoid using the flash unless you need it. Try to avoid scrolling through the stored photos or cycling through the camera's menus as well.
  3. Using the camera in really cold weather can cause a battery to perform below its projected lifespan. If the camera is stored in a cold location, the battery will not hold its full charge either. If you must work in cold conditions with your camera, try carrying the battery in a pocket close to your body, where the heat from your body will allow the battery to stay a little warmer than it would inside the camera, which will allow it to maintain its full charge for a longer amount of time versus keeping it inside a cold camera for an extended period of time.
The above tips are suggested by Nikon Camera Experts you can more tips like above in Nikon D90 Manual- guideusermanual.com/product-name-d90-manual&po=4314&lang=English

6 years 11 months ago #525542 by effron
Nikon OEM battery or a "knock off"?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 11 months ago #525547 by lensonwheels
Dear Nihiqekatu,

thank you for the tips. 

I have cleaned the terminals on the battery and the inside of the camera thoroughly as a precaution and tested it again for video - no difference.

I seldom do a constant zoom - in our out. neither do i cycle around images in the play mode. 

As for the weather - Mumbai, India is perspiring @ 40 degrees celsius. So, its hardly cold here. 

What's surprising to me is - in normal photography i seldom have to worry. 
In video mode - barely 5 mins like I said. 

Has anybody done video filming with Live view on using a D90 - please advise. Will also help if you could please give tips on - how did  you manage  the lack of autofocus during video by the D90.

6 years 11 months ago #525802 by effron
Any updates?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 11 months ago #525890 by lensonwheels
nothing as yet.

the problem remains.

hoping someone in the forum could help.

thanks for checking.

6 years 11 months ago #525962 by Screamin Scott
I'm stumped then...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
6 years 11 months ago #526043 by lensonwheels
To keep my vlog channel running , I have shot 2 videos using my smartphone . seems to be a more portable and viable option for my purpose.

My d90 will continue as my faithful photography companion.

If you guys enjoy VLogging appreciate your comments and suggestions on my YouTube channel - LensOnWheels.

I will upload some of my pics here for members to critique.

Cheers

6 years 10 months ago #528709 by effron
Maybe it was an issue resolved in later batteries/cameras. I had a couple problems  way back with the ENEL3, the newer EN-EL15s I use in both my main bodies are simply superb...

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024