Nikon 18-200mm or Nikon 28-300mm

6 years 8 months ago #535323 by Otto F
My wife has managed to get into photography, and she wants an all around lens that will do it all.  I know the 18-200mm is a great lens.  Just wondering how would the 28-300mm compare to the 18-200mm?  

Which would you get?  Having the additional 100mm would be a nice bonus if the trade-off was minimal.  

Thoughts please?

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago - 6 years 8 months ago #535326 by Screamin Scott
There is no one lens that "will do it all" if there were, everyone would have one.The 18-200 is a DX (crop sensor) format lens & the 28-300 is an FX (full frame). Just remember that zooms are convenient but are a series of compromises. That said I've heard good things about both lenses. what to get depends on what format (DX or FX) you have. I see you shoot with a D610. what about your wife?

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #535333 by Ian Stone
:agree: Scott summed that up nicely.  What camera will she be using the lens with? 

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #535347 by garyrhook
Scott asks a good question: what format?

That said, he hasn't used the 18-200. I have. It's a great walk-around lens. However, if your wife is a beginner, dial it back. She's not going to need that additional 300mm. And if she does, and is shooting DX, there's an 18-300 DX lens.

Photo Comments
6 years 8 months ago #535393 by effron
All above are correct, but its nearly silly to think one lens will satisfy any photographer with a changeable lens camera for long....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 4 months ago #552815 by Vespista
Good topic.
I have a good collection of glass at home and use them all, but when travelling I take my 18-200 and it does (almost) everything. It's light, compact, sharp and relatively cheap if it gets lost or damaged, I'm not in tears. Also, it doesn't attract too much attention when walking around a strange city.
On my D810, the resolution is so good that I don't need the extra 100mm length.
My 2 cents worth!

Photo Comments
6 years 4 months ago #552898 by Screamin Scott
I don't normally keep one lens on the camera at all times. Most often an 80-200 F2.8 when traveling & if I need something wider, one of my fast primes...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
6 years 4 months ago #552944 by tgkelly
I haven't used the 18-200 but have been using the 28-300 for a few years. Even though I have other "better" lenses some how it always finds it way back on my camera when traveling. For an all round travel lens it's hard to beat. It isn't a bad idea as a starter lens until you work out the type of photography you want to do.

Photo Comments
6 years 4 months ago #552974 by effron
How about an update OP, its been three months.....Which way did you go?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 4 months ago #553702 by Tristan R
18-200mm is a very good lens for the money!

Photo Comments
6 years 4 months ago #553958 by effron

Tristan R wrote: 18-200mm is a very good lens for the money!

I had the original and loved it, but hated the lens creep it developed. The newer versions I believe corrected that....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
6 years 3 months ago #558119 by Vespista
Mine did creep a bit but I asked at the local Nikon dealer if it was a biggie to fix and for $35 they replaced a seal and its been perfect ever since.

Photo Comments
6 years 3 months ago #558153 by effron
I took the opportunity to sell mine for a close to original price (auction) and didn't replace it. Never missed it, but that 28-300 has my interest....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024