Nikon 1 J5

6 years 1 month ago #572050 by John-Pepp
I'm a computer graphics designer and a web developer by trade, but love photography as a hobby.
I started getting serious in amatuer photography when I bought a Nikon D80 DSLR and I have been using up to this year. It still works and I have bought camera gear over the years with some nice Nikon Lens for it. While it still works I felt the need for a digital camera with a higher resolution than the D80's 10 megapixel resolution. However, I didn't want to break the bank paying for an expensive Nikon body. I would if I were a professional photographer, but I'm not and probably will never be. Anyways, after doing some research I decided on the Nikon 1 J5 for it was cheap, had LED screen for taking pictures (I can't stand looking through a viewfinder) and I can use my nice old Nikons lens using a FT-1 adapter. My nikon VR 300mm works sweet with it.  I spent around $550 (give or take) for the camera and a couple of nikon 1 lens (I had a gift certificate that I used on it), plus necessary accessories like extra batteries  . I know the Nikon 1 system doesn't use a full sensor and in all sense obsolete even though Nikon hasn't officially made it so. I like that it's a small lightweight camera when using the Nikon 1 lens and that the J5 gives me manual, aperture, shutter and program modes that a smartphone can't (well at least not yet). 

I love taking pictures of wildlife especially birds (raptures and hummingbirds) and old vintage WW2 airplanes. I hopefully be using Nikon 1 J5 camera for a long time like my Nikon D8 camera.

Here's an example of a picture I have already taken with the camera.

Attachments:
6 years 1 month ago #572066 by Vespista
:welcomeclan
Hi and welcome to the 'site.
Sounds like you're happy with your gear, which is great.
Part of the fun of photography is that it can be enjoyed at any level with any equipment.
You'll find plenty of helpful, like-minded friends here, so any questions, just ask!

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #611492 by bogwalker
quick question - is your exposure lock feature working?

I also have a Nikon 1 J5, and pressing the shutter button halfway doesn't lock the exposure setting, unlike every other camera I've had back to 1992. There's supposedly a menu option to enable this, but that menu option isn't in my camera.

5 years 6 months ago #611508 by garyrhook
Typically, a half-shutter press locks focus, not exposure.

I don't know of anything that "locks" exposure other than manual mode. Where things stay where you put them.

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #611559 by effron
Not sure about the 1 J5, but on most (all?) Nikon dslrs, the AE-L/AF-L button by default will lock exposure before you reframe.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #611590 by garyrhook

effron wrote: Not sure about the 1 J5, but on most (all?) Nikon dslrs, the AE-L/AF-L button by default will lock exposure before you reframe.

D'oh! I'd like to change my answer, please.

What I should have said was that, on (most?) DSLRs a half-press will lock everything down: focus and exposure. When you reframe, the camera won't re-read the scene.

Page 30 of the J5 manual states that a half-press will lock focus. It does not elaborate on exposure, however.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024