Upgrading from D5100 to D750 or D500

5 years 10 months ago #583128 by sierracharlie338
Ok here is where I am at. I have a D5100 and have had it for a few years. I am an amateur picture taker and not looking to make a living with my camera but I like having high quality equipment for my hobbies and not to mention want to produce high quality pictures. While I don't have and unlimited budget I am looking to upgrade my body to something with some better features. 

I can't decide between the D750 or the D500. I feel like either would be outstanding for what I generally will be doing with it. I mostly will be using it for wildlife, landscape and pictures of my kiddo. Low light performance is also something that I will be looking for since the wildlife Ill be shooting are commonly out in that golden hour. 

So the question is: Mid line FX or top of the line DX? I dont have enough experience with manual photography in general to make a confident decision at this point and would appreciate some input. I have been doing a lot of reading and looking at reviews of both cameras and I think I am leaning one way but wanted extra input from people that know more than I. 

Thanks in advance. 

SC

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago - 5 years 10 months ago #583212 by effron
D750 would be my choice (full frame) but consider, the "proper" lenses usually cost more than the DX glass.....Both are fine bodies, don't over think it.
(and I don't consider the D750 mid line, its a top notch camera)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #583218 by sierracharlie338
Awesome thanks for the input! 

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #583260 by garyrhook
I moved from a D5100 to a D750 2.5 years ago, and have never regretted it. Don't miss a crop sensor, and I can shoot in very low light and get usable images.

You can use the D750 in DX mode until you get your glass upgraded.

If you really can't decide, rent one for a few days.

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #583348 by sierracharlie338
Thanks for the input. Unless someone can come up with some major argument for the D500 Ill be picking up a D750 pretty soon. I can't find many reasons to go with the D500 over the D750 other than it is faster. For me that's not a big deal.

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #583380 by effron
You will love the D750....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #583406 by sierracharlie338
That was my original thought, I just got a little sidetracked ;)

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #583440 by garyrhook
And I forgot to mention: The D750 in DX mode will give you exactly 16MP of resolution, equal to the D5100. Just better pixels.

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #583442 by sierracharlie338
I was not aware of that fact. Thanks for the info!

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #583469 by effron
Get the FF and the correct lenses, the DX mode won't make you happy. me thinks....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #583511 by sierracharlie338
I definitely plan on upgrading my glass. I think I will be going with the nikon 24-70 f2 first since my 70-300 is compatible with full frame sensors. Id really like to add the 14-24 f2.8 and plan on eventually adding the 70-200 f2.8 to my kit. 

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #583557 by effron
Yup, the 70-300 is FF glass, and all the macros are as well.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #583610 by sierracharlie338
I feel like a kid waiting for Xmas and have not even placed the order yet!!

Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #583849 by effron
Getting a gold box is the closest thing to a Christmas morning as a child.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 10 months ago #583861 by sierracharlie338
Haha I would have to agree!

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024