Nikon D850 vs Nikon Z7, which to get?

5 years 1 week ago #636268 by Ira Weber
Assuming you would get the Z7 with the adapter, which Nikon has special going on right now where you get it for free, I would go with the Z7.  Actually I'm buying one next month!

Photo Comments
5 years 2 days ago #637158 by the four vignettes

Shadowfixer1 wrote: All lenses are IMMEDIATELY available for the Z as well. It's not like it can't use the same lenses. They are two different tools. I personally think the Z favors the outdoors where the smaller body could be a benefit on hikes, etc. The 850 is a better camera overall in more situations. If you need the best autofocus, the D850 would be the choice. If you're doing landscapes then the Z would be a good choice. It's just a matter of what a person is comfortable using. 

Larger bodies don't matter when you put large lenses on them.  In fact, having a larger body can make balancing larger lenses easier.  Plus you'll always have the adapter on the Z7 until there's Z glass worth using.

I'm not hating on mirrorless but the Z7 is a consumer camera at a professional price.

If you're that concerned about weight, Fuji's crop sensors cameras might be worth looking at. 

5 years 2 days ago #637161 by Troponin
 I like the idea of investing in a newer system, but I’m not completely sold on the Z yet. 

Another option would be to buy a used D850 until you are ready to upgrade.  To buy one brand new at this point in the game, to me, seems a bit late. 

Of course, we have a few folks here who are a little bit older who see no sense in replacing their very good equipment. You are going to have to pry their D850s from the cold, dead, hands. :P  I don’t blame them either.  At what point is it just not worth buying new stuff any longer? 

On a final note, one thing rarely mentioned is the size of these cameras. Some mirrorless are almost too tiny, while some DSLRs are quite  large.  For my styles of photography, I prefer the smaller camera. That being said, I have large hands and it does become uncomfortable from time to time 

Photo Comments
5 years 2 days ago #637163 by GregThomason
I recently had to make the same choice. I would like the Z7 for my commercial headshots, but I also shoot travel portraits. I felt the D850 was more substantial for travel, had the two card slots, and is based on proven technology. Even if Nikon makes DSLRs in the future, my next camera will probably be the next generation Z7. Until then, I'm enjoying my new D850

5 years 2 days ago #637177 by garyrhook

Troponin wrote: Of course, we have a few folks here who are a little bit older who see no sense in replacing their very good equipment. You are going to have to pry their D850s from the cold, dead, hands. :P  I don’t blame them either.  At what point is it just not worth buying new stuff any longer?

Being older, I think that these are tools intended to address a need. If the problem changes, find a different solution.

I chose Nikon when I started down this path, and have seen nothing to indicate a change of systems. I'd get a Z if it made sense, but it doesn't completely address my needs. Therefore, it is not a contender for me at this time.  Maybe next go-round.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 day ago #637245 by Will Thomas
From what I've seen, if you plan on doing any sort of video, the Z is the way to go.  Stills, the D850 is the work horse for you.  

5 years 3 hours ago #637515 by Overread
If I were a Nikon guy, I would go with the D850.  A buddy of mine has this camera, and it's pretty darn awesome.  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #637925 by Zach Mosher
Right now today?  D850.  If we were looking at generation 2 of the Z7, then likely the Z7 II 

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #638037 by Red Tail
D850 all the way for me. 

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #639526 by J Photo Man
6 months later, I may be moving to a Z7!  Don't know yet, it's one of 4 cameras I'm looking at.  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #639532 by Nikon Shooter

Shadowfixer1 wrote: All lenses are…

I know you know what I meant.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #642748 by Nikon Shooter

Shadowfixer1 wrote: It's just a matter of what a person is comfortable using. 

Right… it's all tools.
One has to chose the better adapted
to a task to perform!

Photo Comments
4 years 10 months ago #642804 by Nikon Shooter

Shadowfixer1 wrote: All lenses are IMMEDIATELY available for the Z as well. It's not like it can't use the same lenses.

True.
But I don't care (yet!) about weight nor size and
I'm having such a great time with the D850! :P

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024