Nikon D850 vs Nikon Z7, which to get?

5 years 6 months ago #607419 by SJM
My D300 is beyond time to upgrade and so I'm going to make a big jump.  

Just not sure which I really want now.  I was onboard for the D850 at first, after all, it's a bad a$$ camera.  But then Nikon came out with the Z7 and it's new, and potentially the foundation to the future for Nikon.  Considering how long I keep and use my cameras, does it make sense to go with the new Z7 or stick with my first choice and pick up the  D850?

Can I get your thoughts on this?  

I enjoy shooting landscapes, nature, and I'll shoot a wedding or corporate event here and there.  I don't get involved in flash photography unless I have too.  

So which path would you go down?

Country guy living in the big Apple!
Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #607514 by Sawyer
Well both are awesome cameras.  Honestly, the Z7 is Nikons first serious mirrorless camera.  With that said, I would go with the D850.  

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #607554 by effron
It would be the D850 for me too, Z7 is Nikon's initial step into FF mirrorless, I expect the next generation to be the one.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #607647 by J Photo Man
D850 for me as well.  It's tried and tested, the Z7 is too new

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #607653 by Nikon Shooter
At this point, the Z system is in its infancy… but even when given
time to mature, the D850 is for me the only one of the two!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago - 5 years 6 months ago #607679 by Shadowfixer1
I'll go the opposite of everyone here. I would go Z7 and start building up my collection of Z mount lenses because that is the future of Nikon. It's performance is close to the D850 unless you are a sports shooter. Each has their advantages. The D850 is probably the best DSLR on the market but if you like lighter weight, wysiwyg in the viewfinder and IBIS, then the Z7 is the choice. If you're not in a big hurry, you may want to wait for the Z6. It will have some advantages over the Z7 in certain areas and vice versa. It depends on whether you need more than 24 megapixels.
5 years 6 months ago #607834 by Foggy
Go with the D850, to many solid reviews for the camera.  Z7, while I feel it's good, has to many reactive reviews vs time under belt reviews.  I hope that makes sense.  

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #607897 by effron
I was reading Z7 reviews a few days ago and the biggest rap was the single card slot. If that's the only serious gripe, it looks good.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #607947 by Shadowfixer1
There are mainly 3 issues with the Z7. One single card slot, CAF not quite as good as D850 and is implemented in a clunky way but pretty good, and banding on deep shadows if you try to recover 4 stops or more of exposure. I don't know why anyone would try to recover 4 stops or more from shadow but if you do, it's a slight issue. The advantages of the mount is something no Nikon DSLR can overcome and the future will prove the Z mount to be far superior to the F mount. It's just physics.
5 years 6 months ago #608007 by effron
One review I read referred to the CAF not being up to D850 snuff, but lacking clean 4 stop recovery is news to me....I think Nikon is on the right track and I'm probably going to pass on the D850 in anticipation of a Z7 upgrade knockout.
Three borderline issues is pretty good for an introductory line and comparing it to the awesome D850 probably isn't fair....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #608566 by Tristan R
I bet their V2 will be a huge leap forward to.  Both for Nikon and Canon with their mirrorless line.  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #634948 by JaneK
You mean the Z9?  This is supposed to be the update for Z7 right?  So what about the Z6?  They can't exactly move up to Z7 as it's taken already.  UNLESS they go to Z8 for the updated Z6 name.  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #635122 by the four vignettes
The D850 has better AF, a second card slot, with AF it has a higher frame rate, there's a grip for it...

Not much of a decision in my mind. YMMV.

5 years 1 month ago #635977 by Nikon Shooter

the four vignettes wrote: The D850 has better AF, a second card slot, with AF it has a higher frame rate, there's a grip for it...

:agree:

… plus, consider all the lenses IMMEDIATELY available…
new or used.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 1 month ago #636191 by Shadowfixer1

Nikon Shooter wrote:

the four vignettes wrote: The D850 has better AF, a second card slot, with AF it has a higher frame rate, there's a grip for it...

:agree:

… plus, consider all the lenses IMMEDIATELY available…
new or used.

All lenses are IMMEDIATELY available for the Z as well. It's not like it can't use the same lenses. They are two different tools. I personally think the Z favors the outdoors where the smaller body could be a benefit on hikes, etc. The 850 is a better camera overall in more situations. If you need the best autofocus, the D850 would be the choice. If you're doing landscapes then the Z would be a good choice. It's just a matter of what a person is comfortable using. 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024