Oldest Nikon body with good low-light capabilities

5 years 6 months ago #609153 by Lawless
Hi! 
I have been using my beloved workhorse Nikon D50 (not made anymore) for the past fifteen years.  For most situations it is great--I have some nice lenses (Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 and 70-200mm f/2.8, sigma 105mm f/1.4 macro) and with those I can do portraits, fun macro stuff, awesome baseball & soccer pictures.  Those lenses let me squeeze a lot out of that little camera, but it's not good at all in low light so I am looking to upgrade the body mostly so that I can take better pictures of my kids inside gyms for volleyball & basketball.  

I am looking at used equipment, and I have been eyeing the D700.  I do not need the *best* low light camera, but I'd like something that would give me a noticeable difference from my current one.  The D50 only goes up to 1600 ISO, if that's helpful.  Any opinions or ideas?  I don't need "modern" bells & whistles like big screens or wifi...I really just want nice sharp photos and pretty good low light performance.

Thank you for any help you can provide!
Katie 

5 years 6 months ago #609237 by Alvin Pignotti
D700 still is an excellent camera.  Excellent low light and great for landscapes.  You'll find some good deals if you look around a bit.  

5 years 6 months ago #609246 by Shadowfixer1
D7200 is a pretty good one if you want APSC.
5 years 6 months ago #609301 by effron

Alvin Pignotti wrote: D700 still is an excellent camera.  Excellent low light and great for landscapes.  You'll find some good deals if you look around a bit.  

That's a bingo. I still have mine and its great in low light (high ISO) . Same sensor as the D3.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #609382 by Randall McNabb
Are you after full frame or crop?  

Full frame that D700 or even a D610 will be a good move for you.

Crop - D7100 or D7200 will do you well and you can get good deals on them. 

Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #609460 by effron
They aren't bad, and I'll speak of the D7100 here, but its not in the D700's league, or even close. I think my venerable D700 is even better than the newer D800 in low light. I say stick with the full frame....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 6 months ago #611238 by Alvin Pignotti

effron wrote:

Alvin Pignotti wrote: D700 still is an excellent camera.  Excellent low light and great for landscapes.  You'll find some good deals if you look around a bit.  

That's a bingo. I still have mine and its great in low light (high ISO) . Same sensor as the D3.

Sure is.  Do you use it still with your D800?

5 years 6 months ago #611290 by effron
Not too much, but if I'm planning on a lot of hand held shooting the D700 goes in the bag....Sometimes I take it out because I miss the unique mirror slap sound.....:)

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Insta360 has one of the best lineups of action cams and 360-degree cameras. With these Insta360 accessories, you can elevate your photography and videography game!

Apr 24, 2024

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024