2019 lens options for Nikon Z6 and Z7 full frame mirrorless cameras?

5 years 3 months ago #617842 by Martin
Both of these cameras currently have just 3 lenses available.  When are more lenses supposed to be added?  

I'm long overdue for an upgrade and would like to get the Z7, but will likely get the Z6 due to budget reasons.  However having only 3 lenses isn't very exciting.  I know you can get the adapter, however I don't want to deal with that. I want to put the lens directly on the camera.  

Like a 70-200mm would be great.  When is that one due from Nikon for the Z6?  

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #617880 by Shadowfixer1
Not sure why you're dead set against the adapter. It works very well and gives you access to hundreds of lenses. It will take time to build up the Z series. I suspect the 70-200 will be one of the next lenses offered.
5 years 3 months ago #617885 by effron
"Like a 70-200mm would be great. When is that one due from Nikon for the Z6? "

I doubt anyone here would know. Randy is correct, it takes time to engineer and build quality lenses. Use the adapter!

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #617957 by ShadowWalker

Shadowfixer1 wrote: Not sure why you're dead set against the adapter. It works very well and gives you access to hundreds of lenses. It will take time to build up the Z series. I suspect the 70-200 will be one of the next lenses offered.

I'd guess, added bulk.  At least that's why I wouldn't want it.  

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #617958 by Nikon Shooter

Martin wrote: When are more lenses supposed to be added?  

With the introduction of the Z mount, Nikon made a commitment 
to the mirrorless system.

It will indeed take a long time to propose a lineup similar or close
to the actual one — the F mount.

…among the reasons why I have chosen not to go that way.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #617960 by Nikon Shooter

effron wrote: Randy is correct, it takes time to engineer and build quality lenses.

Design is relatively quick but the industrial set up of
production line — from a to z — is another business!

…and there are so many models…

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago - 5 years 3 months ago #617961 by Nikon Shooter

ShadowWalker wrote: I'd guess, added bulk.  At least that's why I wouldn't want it.  

I don't mind the bulk at all but the unbalance feeling
when working handheld. On the tripod, with heads or
gimbals… I guess a nightmare. No thanks.

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #618055 by Sharna Lee
3 lenses are supposed to come out for Z series next year right? 

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #618084 by effron

Sharna Lee wrote: 3 lenses are supposed to come out for Z series next year right? 

Who said that?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #618185 by Shadowfixer1
There are 6 new Z lenses scheduled for 2019 per Nikon USA.
58mm f-0.95
20mm f-1.8
85mm f-1.8
24-70mm f-2.8
70-200mm f-2.8
14-30mm f-4.0
5 years 3 months ago #618186 by Shadowfixer1

Nikon Shooter wrote:

ShadowWalker wrote: I'd guess, added bulk.  At least that's why I wouldn't want it.  

I don't mind the bulk at all but the unbalance feeling
when working handheld. On the tripod, with heads or
gimbals… I guess a nightmare. No thanks.

If you hold the camera and lens correctly it will not feel unbalanced. You should be holding the rig mostly by the lens anyway, The FTZ adapter has a tripod mount built into it so it balances nicely on a tripod. The unbalanced fear is not really a reasonable one in my opinion. To each, his own.
5 years 3 months ago #618188 by garyrhook

Shadowfixer1 wrote: There are 6 new Z lenses scheduled for 2019 per Nikon USA.
58mm f-0.95
20mm f-1.8
85mm f-1.8
24-70mm f-2.8
70-200mm f-2.8
14-30mm f-4.0

What a remarkably unexciting line-up.

#meh

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #618195 by Shadowfixer1

garyrhook wrote:

58mm f-0.95
20mm f-1.8
85mm f-1.8
24-70mm f-2.8
70-200mm f-2.8
14-30mm f-4.0

#meh

So, what WOULD get you excited?
5 years 3 months ago #618197 by garyrhook

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

garyrhook wrote:

58mm f-0.95
20mm f-1.8
85mm f-1.8
24-70mm f-2.8
70-200mm f-2.8
14-30mm f-4.0

#meh

So, what WOULD get you excited?

Fair question.

First off, an 85mm f/1.2. And why not a 24-70 f/2?

I think that we need Z mount versions of the popular/important lenses. But that alone isn't compelling enough to change when the weight of the camera + lens is still going to be comparable to what you get with the D850. And the D850 offers a lot of features already.

What am I missing?

Photo Comments
5 years 3 months ago #618199 by Shadowfixer1
They have to cover the bread and butter lenses first. The 24-70, 70-200 and 85 are a wedding photographers go to lenses. The exotics will come later. The offerings next year cover everything from super wide 14 to tele 200 and probably an extender to match. If someone has an 850 and lenses to match, they probably won't move up to a Z6 or Z7. Now a Z8 may be a different story and by then the lens lineup will be adequate. People that prefer the mirrorless experience will be pleased with the lens lineup and many are more likely to move up from the lower end Nikons. It's not exciting unless you're in the market for a Z and if you are then it's pretty darn exciting to have native glass with less distortion, etc than adapted older lenses. My opinion only as always.  

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024