Nikon 14-24mm lens scratch, will it affect image?

1 week 23 hours ago #619228 by Brandon F
I must met with someone selling a Nikon 14-24mm that was supposed to be like new.  Turns out there is a little scratch on the front of the lens, it's about 3mm long and maybe 1mm thick.  

Would this impact the image?

I didn't buy the lens, and told the seller we can meet up this weekend as I needed to get cash and check on this.  

Let me know your thoughts.  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

1 week 23 hours ago - 1 week 23 hours ago #619232 by GaryA
The front element is used for light gathering, not focus.  Typically a front element scratch will have little to no affect on the image.  But the depth of that scratch, 1mm, may/will cause some refraction which will definitely effect the image. 

Some test shots into a light source, a return period and a discount should be in order.

There are photographs everywhere. It is the call of photographers to see and capture those images.

1 week 22 hours ago #619241 by Screamin Scott
I've bought lenses with scratches on them. They seldom show any ill effects except for maybe a slight loss of contrast. That said, the fact that it has one should drastically reduce the price of a lens. I bought an older Nikkor 20mm F4 that had a tiny scratch dead center for $35...Here is a link to an article about the effects of scratches and other things on the front lens...

petapixel.com/2015/07/02/how-much-does-a...e-quality-of-a-lens/

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

1 week 15 hours ago #619284 by effron
I agree with Scott, probably won't affect much if anything, but you should get a great deal on it.

Why so serious?
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
No one kicks up there feet next to the water cooler better than this person.  Top poster - LoungeLounge Guru
Photo Comments

1 week 51 minutes ago #619384 by Sawyer
I'm actually surprised about these answers.  I would have guessed that this would create some problems.  For example, I have a 10 stop filter that has a small hair line scratch on it.  And in all my photos that I use that filter, I see a tiny line from that.

Canon 5D Mark II | Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS USM | Canon 35L | Sigma 85 1.4 | Helios 44M-6 58mm(M42) | Zeiss 50mm 1.4 (C/Y) | Canon 135L | (2) 430EX II
Photo Comments

6 days 18 hours ago #619412 by Screamin Scott
The filter sits in front of the lens and I'd bet the lens is stopped way down. In that scenario, a scratch on the filter may show. Think of shooting thru a window screen. Normally you get as close as possible to the screen. As you stop down the aperture, the grid pattern becomes more visible, if you open up the aperture more, the grid disappears.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments

6 days 18 hours ago #619415 by garyrhook

Sawyer wrote: I'm actually surprised about these answers.  I would have guessed that this would create some problems.  For example, I have a 10 stop filter that has a small hair line scratch on it.  And in all my photos that I use that filter, I see a tiny line from that.

You're not seeing the scratch, you're seeing the variation in light transmitted by the filter due to the scratch.

Photo Comments

1.63M

• Facebook

824,154 / Likes

• Twitter

294,596 / Followers

• Google+

1,630,816 / Followers

Recommended Gear