Nikon D850 buffer limitations

5 years 1 week ago #636373 by Juan Anthony
The D850 is supposed to be able to shoot 51 RAW files into its buffer.  A buddy of mine is thinking about moving to the Z7 and has let me borrow his D850 with the hopes I'll like it and buy it.  So far, what a crazy impressive camera.  

But I'm getting nowhere near 51 shots in the buffer before things slow down.  I'm guessing 30-35 at most.  

I'm curious if anyone else is getting this or are you getting the full rated 51?

Photo Comments
5 years 1 week ago #636378 by Nikon Shooter
Juan, the buffer will get you higher fire rate if it is paired
with a fast card… like the XQD.

Another point is the file size… smaller files will grant you
greater fire sequences.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 6 days ago #636485 by garyrhook
Yes: exactly what memory card is being used? I've got a friend with one, with an XQD and a UHS-II SD, and it never slows down at 9 fps, full size files, lossless compression.

Photo Comments
5 years 2 days ago - 5 years 2 days ago #637050 by the four vignettes
The buffer for 14 bit FF is about 20.  That being said, it writes images from the buffer to the card so you can taking more than 20 shots without it slowing down.  Throughout testing, I've gotten 100+ with writing to a single fast XQD card at 6 FPS.  

I've heard at 9 FPS it slows down up a lot faster that 50% though.  I've yet to get the needed equipment to test that so I can't comment on that.

With shooting to both cards, I generally get about 35 shots before it slowing down.  The SD card is the bottleneck (even fast ones).

YMMV

5 years 2 days ago #637076 by Nikon Shooter

the four vignettes wrote: The SD card is the bottleneck (even fast ones). YMMV

Do you use the SDXC II (double contact rows) ?

They are the better choice at 300 MB/s.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 day ago #637130 by garyrhook

Nikon Shooter wrote: Do you use the SDXC II (double contact rows) ?

First, that's the read speed for UHS-II. Write speed maxes out at 270 MB/s. UHS-III doesn't improve on that a huge amount.

XQD cards are (currently) rated at up to 500MB/s, but their speed, just like SD* cards, depends upon the manufacturer.

XQD v2 is rated at 1 GB/s.

XQD is a PCI device, and has more potential for greater bandwidth.

XQD/CFE is the preferable format for the future.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 day ago #637151 by the four vignettes

Nikon Shooter wrote:
Do you use the SDXC II (double contact rows) ?

I have two Sony 128GB G SD cards. They get around 45 14 bit FF shots before slowing down with a single card.  

IIRC UHS II has a requirement of 80MBps and the 299MBps is an up to number.  I really which they performed better.

When I asked Nikon a question about SD card performance they mentioned that was better than spec or something.  They weren't helpful at all. 

5 years 1 day ago #637152 by Nikon Shooter

the four vignettes wrote: I have two Sony… 

Incidentally, I just came back of a lesson with 4 shooters at
the marsh and one of them was surprised of the D850 speed.

I tested his card and got 19 clicks on his D810 before slowing
down with a SDXC I. With a SDXC II it went up to 48!!! :P

Photo Comments
5 years 1 day ago #637157 by the four vignettes
Those Sonys: are SDXC II so. The D850 is just too much of a data hog for SD cards. It's super annoying since I always shoot to both.

5 years 1 day ago #637253 by Nikon Shooter

the four vignettes wrote: Those Sonys: are SDXC II so. The D850 is just too much of a data hog for SD cards. It's super annoying since I always shoot to both.

That difference was one of the reasons behind the single
card slot approach on recent models that triggered such
reaction among the pro-users… I too prefer two card slots
though I never had a failing card of any format.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024