Nikon 18-200mm vs 70-200mm

5 years 2 weeks ago #638138 by Chase Audate
I have the 18-200mm for my Nikon D7500 and know it's for crop sensor cameras.  I've been thinking about moving to full frame and from what I gather, the crop lens won't work on the full frame camera.  I noticed the 70-200mm, and of course noticed it's priced a lot more than my 18-200mm was.  

In terms of image quality the 70-200mm is a better lens right?  How does the 70-200mm compare to the 28-300mm lens I see that is also available for full frame cameras?

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #638160 by Troponin
The 200mm 2.8? Those are amazing lenses. Even an f4 200mm that some companies make are really, really good. The 70-200mm is an optimal range for a longer focal length. The 18-200mm was designed more for people that wanted one lens to do MOST at a reasonable price. It's convenience with good quality. That said, you can't make an optic with such a large range, variable aperture, as as good as one with a constant aperture and less focal range. 

It's more of a matter of, what IQ do you want/need? When you have your 18-200mm attached to the camera, what % of your shots are 70-200? 

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #638210 by garyrhook
The 18-200 will work on any Nikon F-mount body. And a full frame body can be shot in crop mode, or, better, you just crop in post. You won't necessarily suffer from vignetting throughout the entire range; moreso at the long end.

The 18-200 is a good walk-around lens. The 70-200 is in a different class. The VRII is a fine lens and performs very well in terms of IQ and AF. The newest 70-200 is amazing in IQ. Truly amazing.

I can't comment on the 28-300, but you have to figure out what you need. That would be the FX version of the DX 18-200, and likely a fine walk-around lens.

You'll find that, if you need the short end of the lens, that 70-200 won't make you happy. You'll want two lenses in that case. But a D750 and the 28-300 might be everything you require and make you quite happy.... if you can define "happiness."

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #638247 by Beth Anderson
A good friend of mine, who started out with an APS-C Nikon had the 18-200mm as her walk around daily lens.  When you moved to full frame, she picked up the 28-300mm and found it to be comparable and incredible lens.  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #638453 by Nathan D
Nikon 18-200mm  is a f/3.5-5.6 vs the Nikon 70-200mm is f/2.8.  The 70-200mm is going to be faster, sharper, heavier and more expensive lens for some good reasons.  It's a work horse.  The 18-200mm is more for everyday walk around lens for crop sensor cameras.  I have the lens, it's awesome.  Cheap (I bought mine used) and it does a good job.  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #638713 by Overread
That 70-200mm will be a much better lens in the long haul for you.  It's sharper and faster lens.  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #638723 by Nikon Shooter

Chase Audate wrote: In terms of image quality the 70-200mm is a better lens right?

The splendid 70~200 is has a pro workhorse status in
my bag and it is IF… a most important feature for me.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #638776 by Chase Audate

garyrhook wrote: The 18-200 will work on any Nikon F-mount body. And a full frame body can be shot in crop mode, or, better, you just crop in post. You won't necessarily suffer from vignetting throughout the entire range; moreso at the long end.

The 18-200 is a good walk-around lens. The 70-200 is in a different class. The VRII is a fine lens and performs very well in terms of IQ and AF. The newest 70-200 is amazing in IQ. Truly amazing.

I can't comment on the 28-300, but you have to figure out what you need. That would be the FX version of the DX 18-200, and likely a fine walk-around lens.

You'll find that, if you need the short end of the lens, that 70-200 won't make you happy. You'll want two lenses in that case. But a D750 and the 28-300 might be everything you require and make you quite happy.... if you can define "happiness."

Thank you. 
I noticed there are two 70-200mm lenses, one VR and other VR II.  There is a bit of a price difference between them.  Would you say that the VR II was worth the price gap?  

Photo Comments
5 years 2 weeks ago #638777 by garyrhook

Chase Audate wrote: I noticed there are two 70-200mm lenses, one VR and other VR II.  There is a bit of a price difference between them.  Would you say that the VR II was worth the price gap?  

Yes. And the even newer one is worth its price. Truly amazing.

You should be able to find a used VRII in very good condition for about $1200.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 week ago #640075 by Chase Audate

garyrhook wrote:

Chase Audate wrote: I noticed there are two 70-200mm lenses, one VR and other VR II.  There is a bit of a price difference between them.  Would you say that the VR II was worth the price gap?  

Yes. And the even newer one is worth its price. Truly amazing.

You should be able to find a used VRII in very good condition for about $1200.

Thank you again.  

BTW what are your feelings on the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 for Nikon? 

Photo Comments
5 years 1 week ago #640216 by garyrhook

Chase Audate wrote: BTW what are your feelings on the Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 for Nikon? 

When I used one about 4 years ago, I felt is was soft wide open. I shoot wide open, so that wasn't permissible.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #642128 by Scotty
70-200 all day long

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024