Could Nikon D6 be on par with D850 and Z7 sensors?

4 years 11 months ago #639147 by Todd Floyd
Looking at the D5 specs, wondering why 20.8 MP sensor and why not something greater.  Then the D6 is supposed to come out this year some time.  Could we see sensor size upwards of where the D850 and Z7 sit?  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #639160 by Glen Martin
Any bets on whether the D6 will be a Z mount?  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #639272 by garyrhook

Todd Floyd wrote: Looking at the D5 specs, wondering why 20.8 MP sensor and why not something greater.  Then the D6 is supposed to come out this year some time.  Could we see sensor size upwards of where the D850 and Z7 sit?  

Have you used a D5? Or perhaps a D4s?

If not, you should. They are a different class of animal, and their features warrant their price (IMNSHO).

Quite counting pixels and consider quality and function instead. And match the tool to the job.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #639273 by garyrhook

Glen Martin wrote: Any bets on whether the D6 will be a Z mount?  

Uh, that'll be a no.

A D6 will be a DSLR, not a mirrorless.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #639286 by Nikon Shooter
Some tools are picture hunters others are picture makers
in some way… very different.

I could be excited by the D6 but I'm not moved by the "Z".

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #639304 by Todd Floyd

garyrhook wrote:

Todd Floyd wrote: Looking at the D5 specs, wondering why 20.8 MP sensor and why not something greater.  Then the D6 is supposed to come out this year some time.  Could we see sensor size upwards of where the D850 and Z7 sit?  

Have you used a D5? Or perhaps a D4s?

If not, you should. They are a different class of animal, and their features warrant their price (IMNSHO).

Quite counting pixels and consider quality and function instead. And match the tool to the job.

No I haven't and haven't used any of these cameras.  Hence my question here.  Just trying to get a better understanding of these cameras.  

What does IMNSHO stand for?  

I'm not pixel counting, just looking at basic features and wondering if the was a reason why that was so much less than other options, yet priced so much higher?

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #639305 by garyrhook

Todd Floyd wrote: No I haven't and haven't used any of these cameras.  Hence my question here.  Just trying to get a better understanding of these cameras.  

What does IMNSHO stand for?  

I'm not pixel counting, just looking at basic features and wondering if the was a reason why that was so much less than other options, yet priced so much higher?

Okay; clarification is good.

"In my not so humble opinion"

A buddy just acquired a used D4s (16MP) and sent me some images shot at various ISO values up to 51,200 (Lo1) and Lo2. The images at 25,600, with a bit of massaging for noise reduction and sharpening, were completely usable. Seriously.

I can't say that about a D750 or D850, both of which have a higher MP count.

If you're wondering why the MP count isn't higher, then it's a reasonable assertion that you are pixel counting, which is why I said that. And my point, which may not have been clear, is that that camera provides other elements to the photography experience that are unique.

Just like any product, unique features cost money. Here, serious sensor performance in low light, along with a high fps (11 on the D4) warrant a price premium. If you need those features, you look at why, and how to justify their price.

If you don't, then that's the wrong camera for you.

IMNSHO

I could be wrong.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #639306 by Screamin Scott
In My Not So Humble Opinion...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #639307 by garyrhook

Screamin Scott wrote: In My Not So Humble Opinion...

If only there were a tool you could use to search for answers to questions like that... or maybe a futuristic electronic "person" you could ask...

Nah.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #639330 by Nikon Shooter
The white lens maker did that — to change the size of its
mounts — some years back and it was not appreciated by
the users.

I think the single digit system should stay the way it is.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #639362 by Shadowfixer1

Glen Martin wrote: Any bets on whether the D6 will be a Z mount?  

Not physically possible due to the mirror box. The lens can't get close enough to the sensor. You can go the other way and use a spacer (adapter) but not mirrorless lens to a mirrored camera.
4 years 11 months ago #639364 by the four vignettes
Some food for thought:
 - a lot of professional photographers don't need 47MP images
 - larger pixels mean cleaner images (less work in post) and better low light images
 - Smaller file sizes (which are easier to work with, especially when you have a lot of them)
 - Buffer size (as in byte count) doesn't need to be as large to fit as many images or better yet it can store more
 - Better battery life (moving data costs energy)

All these point to relatively smaller MP count vs something like a D850.   If a professional photographer is doing something where MP matters (landscape or some wall sized print), grabbing another camera is easy enough.  But as a main camera, having a camera that produces super clean images at a reasonable resolution is best. 

What ever sensor Nikon puts in the D6, it has to be able to produce super clean images and also have very good low light performance.   A 24 or 30 MP BSI sensor would be pushing it, much less a 47MP one light in the D850.  

Besides, if a pro wanted a D850 type of sensors, they'd just buy a D850. 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024