Nikon D810 price - Abes of Maine??

5 years 1 week ago #639974 by Cliff
Everyone else sells this camera for around $2700-$2800.  Abes of Maine has this for $1589  https://www.abesofmaine.com/Nikon_D810_DSLR_Camera_Body_Only_1002651.html

Have these guys joined the grey market swap meet?  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 week ago #639989 by Nikon Shooter
The difference in price is waaaay less than grey market
offerings for that awesome tool. Is it used… or a demo?

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 1 week ago - 5 years 1 week ago #640064 by Shadowfixer1

Cliff wrote: Everyone else sells this camera for around $2700-$2800.  Abes of Maine has this for $1589  https://www.abesofmaine.com/Nikon_D810_DSLR_Camera_Body_Only_1002651.html

Have these guys joined the grey market swap meet?  

They have joined the scum bag internet sellers. You can order the camera and they will contact you trying to sell you the rest of the stuff that should come with it. They will then try to sell accessories you don't want or need. If you don't buy the extra goodies, magically the camera is no longer available. Check their ratings. They are not good. Just like the old saying goes, if it sounds too good to be true, it is. There is no free lunch.
The following user(s) said Thank You: icepics
5 years 1 week ago #640120 by Alvin Pignotti
What?  Really?

How is that even 

1.  legal?

2. scalable?  Meaning, they must have an army of customer service people making such calls.  

Maybe (and I'm just speculating) this is the only way the small guys are able to compete against Amazon?  Unless they have been doing this for long time, then that's just a different story.  

Got me, shame to hear this even exists.  

5 years 1 week ago #640272 by ThatNikonGuy
I bought a Nikon D90 from Abes back in the day, they were a good company then.  Looks like they made a wrong turn somewhere along their way.  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 week ago #640372 by Cara Wilkins
OMG that much price difference, how can the flags not be coming up in front off you?

Photo Comments
5 years 1 week ago #640453 by Kenta
OMG just turn away and leave that alone, if it smells like a turd, it likely is.  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 week ago #640621 by Overread
Possibly a good store forced to pull these stunts to compete against Amazon.  Got me, but I wouldn't touch this camera, something is very fishy.  

Photo Comments
5 years 6 days ago #640682 by garyrhook

Overread wrote: Possibly a good store forced to pull these stunts to compete against Amazon.  Got me, but I wouldn't touch this camera, something is very fishy.  

Possibly, but only because of ignorance. If folks would look around a bit, they'd realize that every authorized vendor sells any given Nikon camera body (and lens?) for the same price. There's never a way around that, other than gray market. Nikon sets the price and dictates sales.

Canon does the same thing, I think?

Photo Comments
5 years 6 days ago #640755 by icepics
Randy's right, they've had a bad reputation for a long time, probably since before Amazon was even around. Maybe they were a reputable company when they started out and were actually in Maine - now being Abe's in New Jersey! (I think, unless they moved again.)

I think you're right, Gary, that the camera manufacturers determine the pricing of new items so it's the same everywhere. If it's a lower price it must be older stock on sale, or gray market, etc.

Sharon
Photo Comments
5 years 3 days ago #641062 by Conner
LOL I wonder how many people actually buy into these ads?  I think anyone with half a brain would pick up on this.  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #642126 by Scotty

ThatNikonGuy wrote: I bought a Nikon D90 from Abes back in the day, they were a good company then.  Looks like they made a wrong turn somewhere along their way.  

That's sad.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #642591 by Juan Anthony

garyrhook wrote:

Overread wrote: Possibly a good store forced to pull these stunts to compete against Amazon.  Got me, but I wouldn't touch this camera, something is very fishy.  

Possibly, but only because of ignorance. If folks would look around a bit, they'd realize that every authorized vendor sells any given Nikon camera body (and lens?) for the same price. There's never a way around that, other than gray market. Nikon sets the price and dictates sales.

Canon does the same thing, I think?

Yup, same way all around.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024