XQD cards in Nikon camera bodies

5 years 4 days ago #640113 by Alvin Pignotti
What camera model did Nikon start putting XQD slots in?  Can a D800 CF slot be converted to XQD? 

5 years 4 days ago #640215 by garyrhook

Alvin Pignotti wrote: What camera model did Nikon start putting XQD slots in?  Can a D800 CF slot be converted to XQD? 

The D4 has an XQD slot. The D3s had two CF slots.

The form factor of a CF card is not the same as XQD. There's no conversion possible.

See other recent threads here on XQD cards (i.e. search the forum).

Photo Comments
5 years 4 days ago #640222 by Nikon Shooter
These^^^+ D3X, D800. D810 have 2x CFs.
The D4, D5, D850 use XQD.

Correct, no conversion possible.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 3 days ago #640271 by ThatNikonGuy

Photo Comments
5 years 3 days ago #640279 by Nikon Shooter

ThatNikonGuy wrote: About the only thing I could dig up

I have nothing against the XQD; it is fine to handle and bigger
than the SD — that easily slips through my fingers.

They should make up their mind and standardise a card format.

Photo Comments
5 years 6 hours ago #640815 by Alex

Nikon Shooter wrote:

ThatNikonGuy wrote: About the only thing I could dig up

I have nothing against the XQD; it is fine to handle and bigger
than the SD — that easily slips through my fingers.

They should make up their mind and standardise a card format.

Agree.  My D850 has the XQD  slot, but up until recently I only used my SD cards in it.  When I picked up the Z7 which of course only has the one XQD slot.  So I was forced to jump on the XQD band wagon.  You know what?  I was floored with the speed of the card.  I ended up getting another one fore my D850!  Really where improvements are needed are in the readers.  Not  many good options.  I've been waiting for Gnarbox new one that is on preorder right now. 

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
5 years 6 hours ago #640823 by garyrhook

Alex wrote: Agree.  My D850 has the XQD  slot, but up until recently I only used my SD cards in it.  When I picked up the Z7 which of course only has the one XQD slot.  So I was forced to jump on the XQD band wagon.  You know what?  I was floored with the speed of the card.  I ended up getting another one fore my D850!  Really where improvements are needed are in the readers.  Not  many good options.  I've been waiting for Gnarbox new one that is on preorder right now. 

It is a PCI device, and as such can handle much higher data rates than SD cards. In a camera like a D4/D850/D5 with a high fps, the buffer hardly gets used.

I have the Sony MRW-E90 bookmarked on Amazon; hoping I'll have more choices when I buy the new camera.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 hour ago #640867 by Alex
Yep, got that my friend.  One the main reasons that slowed me from getting was my MacBook Pro at the time, only had a SD slot in it.  Then the day before I headed off to Norway, that computer died and I had to buy a new Macbook.  The new machine had no SD slots, so between that and picking up the Z7, it was time.  

I didn't go with the Sony reader because there were reviews of peoples USB getting cooked from using it.  So I went with the one below, which I can't remember the brand name.  But as soon as Gnarbox one comes out, I'm on it!  

But yes... crazy fast.  

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
Attachments:
5 years 1 hour ago #640870 by Nikon Shooter
I have a XQD/SDXC card reader from Sony: MWR-E90.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024