XQD cards in Nikon camera bodies

2 months 1 week ago #640113 by Alvin Pignotti
What camera model did Nikon start putting XQD slots in?  Can a D800 CF slot be converted to XQD? 

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 1 week ago #640215 by garyrhook

Alvin Pignotti wrote: What camera model did Nikon start putting XQD slots in?  Can a D800 CF slot be converted to XQD? 

The D4 has an XQD slot. The D3s had two CF slots.

The form factor of a CF card is not the same as XQD. There's no conversion possible.

See other recent threads here on XQD cards (i.e. search the forum).

Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #640222 by Nikon Shooter
These^^^+ D3X, D800. D810 have 2x CFs.
The D4, D5, D850 use XQD.

Correct, no conversion possible.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster

2 months 1 week ago #640271 by ThatNikonGuy

2 months 1 week ago #640279 by Nikon Shooter

ThatNikonGuy wrote: About the only thing I could dig up

I have nothing against the XQD; it is fine to handle and bigger
than the SD — that easily slips through my fingers.

They should make up their mind and standardise a card format.

2 months 1 week ago #640815 by Alex

Nikon Shooter wrote:

ThatNikonGuy wrote: About the only thing I could dig up

I have nothing against the XQD; it is fine to handle and bigger
than the SD — that easily slips through my fingers.

They should make up their mind and standardise a card format.

Agree.  My D850 has the XQD  slot, but up until recently I only used my SD cards in it.  When I picked up the Z7 which of course only has the one XQD slot.  So I was forced to jump on the XQD band wagon.  You know what?  I was floored with the speed of the card.  I ended up getting another one fore my D850!  Really where improvements are needed are in the readers.  Not  many good options.  I've been waiting for Gnarbox new one that is on preorder right now. 

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #640823 by garyrhook

Alex wrote: Agree.  My D850 has the XQD  slot, but up until recently I only used my SD cards in it.  When I picked up the Z7 which of course only has the one XQD slot.  So I was forced to jump on the XQD band wagon.  You know what?  I was floored with the speed of the card.  I ended up getting another one fore my D850!  Really where improvements are needed are in the readers.  Not  many good options.  I've been waiting for Gnarbox new one that is on preorder right now. 

It is a PCI device, and as such can handle much higher data rates than SD cards. In a camera like a D4/D850/D5 with a high fps, the buffer hardly gets used.

I have the Sony MRW-E90 bookmarked on Amazon; hoping I'll have more choices when I buy the new camera.

Photo Comments

2 months 6 days ago #640867 by Alex
Yep, got that my friend.  One the main reasons that slowed me from getting was my MacBook Pro at the time, only had a SD slot in it.  Then the day before I headed off to Norway, that computer died and I had to buy a new Macbook.  The new machine had no SD slots, so between that and picking up the Z7, it was time.  

I didn't go with the Sony reader because there were reviews of peoples USB getting cooked from using it.  So I went with the one below, which I can't remember the brand name.  But as soon as Gnarbox one comes out, I'm on it!  

But yes... crazy fast.  

Thank you for making PhotographyTalk.com your photography community of choice.
Photo Comments
Attachments:

2 months 6 days ago #640870 by Nikon Shooter
I have a XQD/SDXC card reader from Sony: MWR-E90.

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

nikon d3500 vs canon t7 review, Nikon D3500 vs Canon EOS Rebel T7, Nikon D3500 vs Canon EOS Rebel T7 price, Nikon D3500 vs Canon EOS Rebel T7 body, Nikon D3500 vs Canon EOS Rebel T7 specs, Nikon D3500 vs Canon EOS Rebel T7 lenses

Jun 24, 2019

In this Panasonic G95 review, learn why this APS-C mirrorless camera is a great choice for both photographers and videographers that want a high-quality camera on a budget.

Jun 19, 2019

In this Leica Q review, we take a look at one of the premier compact digital cameras on the market, including its specs, design, build quality, and price.

Jun 17, 2019

If you want to upgrade your camera without spending a ton of money, yet don't want to sacrifice quality or features, you might consider the Canon EOS 80D as a top choice.

Jun 13, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Syrp Genie Mini is one of my favorite camera accessories, but now that the Syrp Genie Mini II is out with many all-new features, I think it's time to upgrade.

Jun 25, 2019

In this quick tutorial, learn how to take good photos with a kit lens by playing up its strengths and managing its weaknesses.

Jun 25, 2019

In this article on dynamic range explained, you'll learn how to define dynamic range as well as how to manage it using a variety of effective techniques.

Jun 25, 2019

Screenshot from YouTube video Giant squid are notoriously difficult to photograph. For one thing, they live really, really far underwater. For another,...

Jun 24, 2019

With these landscape photography techniques, you'll learn a few pointers for getting the best shots, no matter what kind of landscape you're exploring.

Jun 24, 2019

nikon d3500 vs canon t7 review, Nikon D3500 vs Canon EOS Rebel T7, Nikon D3500 vs Canon EOS Rebel T7 price, Nikon D3500 vs Canon EOS Rebel T7 body, Nikon D3500 vs Canon EOS Rebel T7 specs, Nikon D3500 vs Canon EOS Rebel T7 lenses

Jun 24, 2019

Not sure if a camera bag or a camera backpack is right for you? In this camera bag vs. camera backpack comparison, learn about the pros and cons of each.

Jun 20, 2019

If your photos are too dark, learn how to fix underexposed photos using this quick and simple three-step process. It takes just a few moments, but the results can be spectacular!

Jun 20, 2019