Vignetting with Nikon 28-300mm??

5 years 5 hours ago #641290 by Gammill
Hey guys, I just bought a Nikon 28-300mm and even focused at 105mm, I'm seeing a little vignetting.  Is anyone else with this lens experiencing the same?

Wondering if normal or if I have a wack lens.  

Photo Comments
5 years 5 hours ago #641298 by Nikon Shooter

Gammill wrote: Wondering if normal or if I have a wack lens.  

You may just have an improper lens shade and / or
unnecessary filter(s) mounted on it!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
5 years 2 hours ago #641320 by garyrhook

Nikon Shooter wrote:

Right because he mentioned both of those things.

To the OP: Vignetting is not uncommon. How did you come to discern this problem?

In other words, please provide more detail to better define the situation, and thereby enable us to help you.

Photo Comments
5 years 1 hour ago #641324 by Gammill

Nikon Shooter wrote:

I'm not using the lens hood, just a polarized filter.  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 hour ago #641325 by Gammill

garyrhook wrote:

Nikon Shooter wrote:

Right because he mentioned both of those things.

To the OP: Vignetting is not uncommon. How did you come to discern this problem?

In other words, please provide more detail to better define the situation, and thereby enable us to help you.

See my last post, no lens hood was used, and I only had a polarized filter on the lens.  

And before you ask, no I didn't try with out the filter.  It's a thin filter so I can't image that created vignetting, but I could be wrong. It doesn't with any my other lenses.  

Photo Comments
5 years 1 hour ago #641328 by Nikon Shooter
I see that the lens you use is not of the quality I would put
on the camera you have. So yes, maybe it is a normal and
observable "feature" of that not so high end lens.

Now that you have a top camera, maybe you should explore
lenses of a similar quality.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641336 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day mate

There appears to be 2 conversations going on here - and I can only see one of them, so the following may or may-not be applicable

EVERY lens will create some darkening towards the corners ... whether you call it 'vignetting' is another matter.

-IF- you want to double check your lenses [plural] then
a) shoot a neutral toned, evenly lit subject
b) using editing software - slice the image into 2 halves
c) flip each half so that now the original outer edges are kissing each other in the middle
d) examine closely the light fall-off now very clearly visible in the centre of the frame

What you need to decide is how much fall-off you are prepared to accept - and as mentioned above, "some" cheaper lenses / older lens designs have more fall off than others

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 11 months ago #641353 by garyrhook
+1 on what he said, just above. And thank you for adding more detail about the filter. I'm not sure it's relevant, and you can verify by removing it.

I've noticed that with some lenses, when I pull an image into Lightroom, there may be obvious vignetting. And after applying the lens profile, it goes away.

So the question is, what tools are you using, and how? That information is not available in your OP.

<opinion>But I'm not entirely sure there's a surprising problem here. I could be wrong.</opinion>

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641360 by hghlndr6
I use that lens ... a lot ... often with a polarizer and usually with a hood.  I doubt very much that a filter or hood is a factor.   Slight vignetting is one of that lenses weaknesses.  It also will show barrel distortion or pincushion distortion at the long and short ends.  Neither is a problem for me since one click in Lightroom to apply the lens profile makes them all go away.
4 years 11 months ago #641398 by Gammill

Nikon Shooter wrote: I see that the lens you use is not of the quality I would put
on the camera you have. So yes, maybe it is a normal and
observable "feature" of that not so high end lens.

Now that you have a top camera, maybe you should explore
lenses of a similar quality.

No it's not the best on the market and I have quality Nikon glass 14-24mm f/2.8, 24-70mm f/2.8 and 70-200mm f/2.8.   I bought this to be a travel lens, for those days where I don't want to bring anything but one lens with the most focal range I can get. 

If you know of another lens for full frame, please let me know.  Thanks!  

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #641494 by Ozzie_Traveller

Gammill wrote: .......   I bought this to be a travel lens, for those days where I don't want to bring anything but one lens with the most focal range I can get. ..... Thanks!  

G'day mate
Then I suggest that you use the lens as best you can to bring out the best that the lens can create, and bring home both memories and images that family + friends + us mob here can enjoy with you

Hope this helps

4 years 11 months ago #641958 by Nikon Shooter

Gammill wrote: If you know of another lens for full frame, please let me know.  Thanks!  

I'm afraid "travel" lenses are not in Nikon's pro lens catalogue.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #642099 by Shadowfixer1
I rarely worry about vignetting. I almost always add some in post anyway. 
4 years 11 months ago #642125 by Scotty
I immediately thought it was a filter.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
4 years 11 months ago #642137 by Sanford
+1 Shadowfixer - Same with me.  It would have to be horrible dark shadows falling in order for me to be concern.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024