Symbol on my camera, what is it?

4 years 8 months ago #649845 by E Rodriguez
What does the circle with a straight line symbol mean that's on my camera?   

4 years 8 months ago #649846 by Screamin Scott
That shows you where the sensor plane sits, or film on film cameras. Useful to know distances from sensor to subject

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #649852 by Nikon Shooter
Yes, specially in macro!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #649861 by E Rodriguez
Thank you, but why would that be useful?  

4 years 8 months ago #649865 by Screamin Scott
By that statement, you are demonstrating how little you know about macro. When DOF in macro may only be a matter of millimeters, precise focus is essential.

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #649897 by E Rodriguez

Screamin Scott wrote: By that statement, you are demonstrating how little you know about macro. When DOF in macro may only be a matter of millimeters, precise focus is essential.

Yep, that's why I posted the question.  I don't know much about photography in whole.  I'm working on learning, but find there is a lot to take in.  So one foot at a time.

What I don't understand, if you are speaking of precision.  How is this seemingly random placed symbol going to contribute to precision?  

Thank you for taking the time to help me understand this.  

4 years 8 months ago #649899 by Nikon Shooter

E Rodriguez wrote: How is this seemingly random placed symbol going to contribute to precision?  

Meant in the days to localise the film plane. it means now to
show the position of the sensor sensible plane.

Crucial and critical information when it come to evaluate real-
tive DoF given the focusing distance and the chosen aperture.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #649900 by Screamin Scott
One would measure the distance from that mark to their subject. Using a depth of field calculator to determine the depth of focus so that the subject is within that area...

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #649955 by garyrhook
There's also a thing called a nodal slide which you can use to position the sensor directly over the axis of rotation. That symbol helps you align, and avoid parallax.

Why? There is a school of thought that says this is critical for accurately creating panoramas from multiple shots.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #649960 by garyrhook

Screamin Scott wrote: One would measure the distance from that mark to their subject. Using a depth of field calculator to determine the depth of focus so that the subject is within that area...

If one is close to one's subject, isn't the DoF so small (even at f/14 or tighter) that the computation doesn't really matter? And if one is reasonably far away (3-5 feet, say) that accuracy becomes less critical?

Given that you take lots of photos of tiny critters, would you mind elaborating a bit on methodology? I'd appreciate having a better understanding.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #649991 by Nikon Shooter

garyrhook wrote: to position the sensor directly over the axis of rotation.

Surprising statement!

The only thing I consider with panorama is that
the lens nodal point IS at the axis of rotation; the
sensor has nothing to do with it!

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #650013 by garyrhook

Nikon Shooter wrote: The only thing I consider with panorama is that
the lens nodal point IS at the axis of rotation; the sensor has nothing to do with it!

I was mistaken. Not caring one whit about "perfect" panoramas, I've not bothered to learn about them, and I should have done my research before posting.

Ah, well. I readily admit to being incorrect when facts are presented, or at least googled.

At least one site I found discusses the "entry pupil" as the rotation point for the camera, but wants $13 for a book. Others point out that the nodal point changes from lens to lens. Lots of interesting information out there.

I'd fix the post above if I could.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #650014 by Nikon Shooter
Correct, a nodal point is very lens specific… each its own and
not always easy to spot. I suggest my students to mark their
located points for future reference.

Correct again, the non editing feature in a thread is a real pain
in the ass.

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #650015 by Screamin Scott
I, as a moderator, have that ability. Maybe bring it up in the support and suggestions forum.

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #650016 by Screamin Scott
I, as a moderator, have that ability. Maybe bring it up in the support and suggestions forum.

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Smartphone photos have come a long way in recent years. With their increase in quality comes the ability to create large prints. Learn why canvas is a great option for your phone photos!

Mar 29, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024