Potential AF issues with Nikon D800?

4 years 9 months ago #650022 by BLKFuel
Hi there,

I've been struggling to get sharp pictures with my D800 at wide apertures and I've been through many iterations at trying to figure out the problems. Trying to figure it out has gotten so bad that it has started to affect my mood around shooting at wider apertures.

At first I thought it was poor technique/too much focus/recompose at wide apertures, but even when trying to correct for that I found myself struggling and getting poor results when shooting at anything wider than f/5.6.

I had the camera body serviced by Nikon and I thought everything would have been fixed. I should have run some tests when I got the camera body back, but I didn't and just assumed that I could resume shooting without any issues anymore, but I'm still struggling. Shortly after I got it back I shot some light trails and shaked the camera a lot when doing so, not sure if I shouldn't have done that and if I could have messed up the AF sensor alignment once more when doing that.

Today I did a series of tests and with my Nikkor 24-70mm 2.8G ED I can't seem to be able to get a sharp picture at all at f/2.8 when using an off-center AF point. And that's shooting still life on a tripod with a timer, so camera shake is out of the question. When using the center AF point everything is good and I'm getting a sharp picture. I ran similar tests with my Sigma 105mm macro, and I seem to be getting better results, at its widest aperture of f/3. So maybe it could be something with the 24-70mm going on?

I also bought a lens calibration device to try and figure if my lenses just need calibration. I got the JJC ACA Autofocus Calibration Aid and followed the instructions from this video:
. For both lenses the "0" is what seems most in-focus, which indicates that the lenses don't need to be calibrated. But what's strange to me is that with my 24-70mm I'm getting pictures that are not quite clear when viewed at 100%, even with lens calibration activated in Capture One. Maybe that's just the nature of trying to shoot a target like that with that lens? Like moire or something? I'm attaching pictures of what I'm getting. Even the JJC logo in the corner appears soft. And those calibration tests are done using the center AF point.

If anybody knows if it's normal to get poor AF performance when using an off-center AF point on a D800, that would really help. I'm trying to figure out if it's the way things are and I have to live with that, or if something seems wrong and I should have it get checked again. It's still on a service warranty from the last service date, so I could get it serviced again for free if it's really an issue that can be fixed.

Thanks so much in advance!

Attachments:
4 years 9 months ago #650027 by Matt Nguyen
When you say "shaked the camera a lot", can you clarify on this?  

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #650029 by BLKFuel
I was taking long exposure shots and moving the camera with my hands a whole lot during the exposures. Like flipping it from side to side as fast as I could, in the goal of getting interesting light trail patterns.

4 years 9 months ago #650040 by garyrhook

BLKFuel wrote: I was taking long exposure shots and moving the camera with my hands a whole lot during the exposures. Like flipping it from side to side as fast as I could, in the goal of getting interesting light trail patterns.

Movement is not the issue, stopping is the issue. Unless you were shaking the camera in the same manner you would a can of spray paint, or ketchup (i.e. mixing it up) then I would rather doubt you were able to impart any kinetic damage to the camera. That's assuming a relatively light lens, too, as the mount would have to withstand stresses as well. I could be wrong.

That said: lens calibration is per lens, not just the body. Your performance with one lens won't necessarily be the same as with another. Nor will image quality. For the photos you show, it looks to me like the focus plane is between 0.5 and 1, towards the camera. I'd move it back. But also keep in mind that your best focus isn't going to be wide open; it's usually 2-3 stops down. So, f/4 on the 24-70. How does it perform there?

Finally, you mention AF performance, but that typically means how quickly the camera can acquire focus. I don't think that's what you mean here? And when you say non-center, do you mean one of eleven crosshair focus points, or one of the 51 AF points? Because, don't. Stick to the eleven (or whatever it is).

Finally: you might want to get the lens evaluated. You may have a bad copy. It happens.

Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #650045 by Nikon Shooter

garyrhook wrote:

BLKFuel wrote: … lens calibration is per lens, not just the body.

The AF fine tuning is making sure that all three elements 
are working well to getter.

When I got the D850 — just like I did with my other 3 bodies
when I acquired them — it had to go through the fine tuning
procedures with all my 16 lenses… the limit is twenty.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 9 months ago #650144 by Finn

BLKFuel wrote: I was taking long exposure shots and moving the camera with my hands a whole lot during the exposures. Like flipping it from side to side as fast as I could, in the goal of getting interesting light trail patterns.

Your camera will not be affected by that such movement.  It will take a lot more movement to mess the internals up.  

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024