Nikon D610 or D4

4 months 3 days ago #652196 by Quphand
I have been waiting for the D610 camera to be announced for quite some time, and now that I am about to jump on it, I have been offered a used D4 in very good condition at a "reasonable" price.

I am not one to abuse my equipment and was wondering whether any of you could help with my decision!

I currently use a D7000 which has the same 6fps the D610 offers and it AF's with 7 points up to f8 which is good as I only generally use the 9 central focus points on my camera

Not sure I actually need a D4 as I have never used one, but will the better AF system and higher FPS provide me with better images?

Thanks for your help

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

4 months 2 days ago #652209 by garyrhook
Um, the D610 has been available for years (since 2013), and is about to be discontinued. So I'm confused by your opening statement.

That said, you don't mention intent, nor budget. Why does FPS matter to you?

The D4 is fine, the D4S is superior, especially in the areas of AF and low light. But it's also $2500 used.

All that said, a new camera isn't going to result in better images. You will result in better images when your skills improve. If there's a technique you wish to use, but can't, then a new body can enable that.

Larger sensors can provide some advantages for basic image quality. But aside from basic image quality due to ISO, and somewhat better data capture, I don't think it's a good thing to place too much expectation on the camera itself.

There are rumors of the D760 coming out this year, and the D750 price is currenlty pretty low, and the same as the D610. I've never heard any D750 owner express regret over their purchase.

Photo Comments

4 months 2 days ago #652213 by fmw
Amen.  It isn't about the camera.  It is about the person behind it.  Use what you have.  It is more than plenty.

Photo Comments

4 months 2 days ago #652214 by Nikon Shooter

Quphand wrote: I am not one to abuse my equipment…

…then, you don't need the D4 that's begging for it as
it is one camera that will outperform your ambitions.

I would suggest you consider extending your lens kit
to possibly greater good and lower investment costs.

Light is free… capturing it is not!

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a7 might be six years old, but it still has plenty of features that make it an excellent option for today's photographers. In this Sony a7 review, learn about this camera's essential specs and features, and how you can find one at a bargain price.

Nov 20, 2019

In this Sony RX10 IV review, learn about the specs and features that make this one of the best, most well-equipped bridge cameras on the market today.

Nov 12, 2019

In this Nikon D3500 review, learn all about this camera's features, specs, and capabilities, as well as details about compatible lenses, the camera's pros and cons, and its price.

Nov 06, 2019

In this Panasonic G9 review, we take a look at its essential features, its build quality, compatible lenses, and other crucial details to help you decide if this is the camera for you.

Nov 04, 2019

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

photo prints, how to print photos, photo printing tips, best photo prints, top canvas printers

Nov 20, 2019

If you're just starting out building a photography business, be sure to steer clear of these critical photography business mistakes.

Nov 20, 2019

The Canon EOS R has been out for about a year now, and has gotten some negative reviews by photographers. But I think it's a fantastic camera...a sleeping giant, in fact.

Nov 20, 2019

The Sony a7 might be six years old, but it still has plenty of features that make it an excellent option for today's photographers. In this Sony a7 review, learn about this camera's essential specs and features, and how you can find one at a bargain price.

Nov 20, 2019

It's time again to list off the best photography products of 2019 and the best photography services of 2019. See what companies knocked it out of the park this year!

Nov 20, 2019

Screenshot via YouTube video  We've all dealt with packages getting damaged, or worse getting stolen off of our front porch, especially during the...

Nov 20, 2019

Looking for a high-quality circular polarizer but don't want to bust your budget? Look no further than these three budget-friendly options.

Nov 19, 2019

There are many components to a landscape photography kit, and over the years, I've found that these items have proven their worth as the ideal tools for landscape photography.

Nov 18, 2019