Why Nikon D850 has no on camera flash?

4 years 8 months ago #654998 by Marin Chi
I'm looking to make an upgrade and met up with someone yesterday who is selling their D850.  I didn't know it didn't have a on camera flash.  

Why is that? 

Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #655001 by Nikon Shooter
Because that little flash could be used as trigger for other flashes
but, at last, Nikon thought it is not a good idea… radio triggers are.

Because that little flash could be a cool feature for beginners or a-
mateurs but the D850 is targeted towards advanced users or pros
who don't need that little gizmo.

I own a D850 and the absence of flash I see as a blessing.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 8 months ago #655006 by garyrhook

Marin Chi wrote: I'm looking to make an upgrade and met up with someone yesterday who is selling their D850.  I didn't know it didn't have a on camera flash.  

Why is that? 

Because on-camera flash is horrible. IMNSHO it produces nothing attractive; at the very least use a speedlite (cost notwithstanding, which isn't that bad for after-market brands like Yongnuo).

As for triggering, I'd still want to aim my flash for that, so still a speedlite. And if you really need that, again, there are inexpensive solutions out there. If you can afford a D850, you can afford some modest accessories.

Just "no". I'm so happy, after a D5100 and a D750, that I no longer have that asinine device to deal with.

Yes, I feel strongly about it.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #656291 by fmw
Not only have I never used on camera flash but I've never even considered it.  Building them into the camera simply suggests to amateurs that you can make good images with them.  Not so.  Now you know where red eye removal software came from.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #656779 by Brody Kross
All their new mirrorless cameras don't have flashes either right?

4 years 7 months ago #656786 by Nikon Shooter
Right!. :P

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #657244 by Scott Klubeck
Besides most lenses will cast a horrible shadow when using onboard flash. 

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago - 4 years 7 months ago #657321 by effron
One needs to be aware. I've used mine a few times and always diffuse/bounce the light (even with my hand)...just like on a shoe mounted speedlight. I could live without it though.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #657473 by Peter Nunez
Effron, don't you get shadows from your lens even when using diffused or bounced?

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #657537 by garyrhook

Peter Nunez wrote: Effron, don't you get shadows from your lens even when using diffused or bounced?

Not on short lenses (a 50, e.g.).

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #657538 by Nikon Shooter

Peter Nunez wrote: Effron, don't you get shadows from your lens even when using diffused or bounced?

Bounced? Never.
Diffused? Possibly.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #657586 by effron

Only if not paying attention. Even putting a hand in the way will bounce the light. Its not a lot of power though compared to a speedlight....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660012 by NikonF4ever
Honestly, I find the on-camera flash is really of little use. My D700 has one and I really don't think I have ever used it.  The D850 is a professional level camera and eliminating the flash not only saves money, but it enables a tighter weather seal for the entire camera.

Photo Comments
4 years 6 months ago #660069 by Shadowfixer1
The only good reason to have an on camera flash is to use it as a commander. There are better solutions out there but it does work if you need it.
4 years 6 months ago #660103 by effron

Shadowfixer1 wrote: The only good reason to have an on camera flash is to use it as a commander..

Yup, and the on camera flash can be powered way down so not to over flatten the image....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024