Need some help/Recommendations with some photo gear!

4 years 7 months ago #656959 by Zackb23
Hey there,

New to this website! Been searching around trying to find places for some guidance, decided to give this site a shot!

Anyways right to it. These questions probably get asked quite frequently.

So right now I am shooting with a Nikon D750 but looking to upgrade. I need something that will work for both video and stills. So I am torn between the Nikon Z6 and the Sony A7III. Was hoping someone has had experience with both and could give their recommendation. 

-I have 3 lenses for nikon 50mm 1.8/85mm 1.8/70-200mm(not mine, borrowing). So trying to take that into account.

-Interests in photography are towards mostly landscape photography, travel videos, and actors headshots. So Eye AF would help out quite nicely.

-Also ergonomics of the camera is important as well. I do enjoy the deep grip of the Nikon D750.

Any help would be great! Thanks.

4 years 7 months ago #656984 by MYoung
For me, it would be an easy choice;
 Go with the Z6,
1. the ergonomics are really good
2.  ergonomics on the Sony are not as nice
3. You understand the Nikon language already 
4. You have some glass that you can use with adapter on the Z6

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Zackb23
4 years 7 months ago #656995 by garyrhook
I don't understand. The D750 can do both video and stills. And handles low light situations reasonably well.

What problem are you trying to solve?

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #657069 by Zackb23
I love the D750 and you’re right it does both well. But would love to have a little more freedom to run and gun with video. I do quite well with the manual focus for video. But have been in a few pinches where autofocus could save me some time. You ever tried to pull focus on a Glidecam. Bit difficult sometimes.
-But I mean I’m all for some tips if you have them? And definitely appreciated!

Thanks for the reply!

4 years 7 months ago #657070 by Nikon Shooter

garyrhook wrote: What problem are you trying to solve?

Same question from me and…

Is this only a GAS thing?

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #657074 by Zackb23
No it’s not a “GAS thing..”

Just posted a reply to him above go ahead and read if you’d like.

4 years 7 months ago #657075 by Zackb23
Thank you for the quick points! Much appreciated!

4 years 7 months ago #657100 by Nikon Shooter
I never contemplated to do videos…
no recommendation from me then!  :whistle:

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #657113 by fmw
If both cameras will do what you want, then go with the Nikon.  You already have lenses you can use with it.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #657146 by garyrhook
I'm not sure what you want to pull focus to, but the D850 live view allows tapping the display to set the focus point. It also has focus peaking to assist. I don't use a gimbal so can't comment, but from what I've seen in the industry, no one pulls focus while using a steady cam. That's usually a tripod thing.

Sony as the eye AF. Nikon Z has the eye AF now. Other brands do, too, I believe. Not sure if that's relevant or helpful.

What Nikon should offer is the ability to create a smooth, slow transition to a new focus point such that the camera doesn't jump then hunt to set focus. I think software could handle this.

Past that, if you really want to do video, you might want to consider Panasonic bodies: the higher end G series might be a better fit.

Photo Comments
4 years 7 months ago #657191 by effron

garyrhook wrote: I don't understand. The D750 can do both video and stills. And handles low light situations reasonably well.

What problem are you trying to solve?

This..
...also, if you're into landscapes, you need a landscape lens. 
That D750 is still a GREAT body!

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024