Nikon Z6 Z7 - Blurry images when using Mechanical Shutter and VR on

4 years 4 months ago #664877 by renesys
Hello guys,

Nikon z6 and z7 have a serious problem that you may not notice or notice sometimes. When using the Mechanical Shutter with the VR on at shutter speeds around 1/100 the images are blurry. The test is shown here:  https://z6blurry.000webhostapp.com/

I have took my z6 to Nikon and they said that the camera is ok like that.

4 years 4 months ago #665595 by garyrhook
We don't use VR when the device is stable.

It's a well-known truism that, when using a tripod (or setting your camera on a tabletop) you turn VR off to keep it from trying to do something.

I think this is a flawed test.

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago - 4 years 4 months ago #665598 by renesys
Please take a look at all the tests before saying that the test is flawed.

Although I may agree with you at lower shutter speeds, it's not entirely true at 1/125s shutter speed. Here is why:

-EFCS + VR-on on the table(tripod variable) is sharp compared to Mechanical Shutter + VR-on
-D850 + VR lens on the table, all images are sharp, this confirms that the test on the table is ok for a VR lens
-Sony a7iii on the table, all images sharp, this confirms that a similar camera in specs(IBIS, etc.) and price does not have this problem

And if you still say that the table is not ok, no problem. See the handheld tests in the store. Another z6 with the same problem, a z7 with the same problem. You can compare them with the Sony a7iii. And in that test a handheld Mechanical Shutter + VR off image is sharper than a handheld Mechanical Shutter + VR on image. Which makes the VR useless when using Mechanical Shutter at speeds between 1/30s to 1/250s. Basically when you need it the most.

All test prove the same problem: Mechanical Shutter + VR on, handheld or tripod.

Already on other forums others confirmed this problems and others don't have it. The idea is that there is a recall on the Nikon z6/z7 and Nikon does not want to fix the camera if the Serial Number is not in their recall list.

And if you think Nikon does not know, the update firmware forced the Auto Shutter feature that switches from Mechanical Shutter to EFCS at speeds below 1/320s.

4 years 4 months ago #665637 by effron
Sounds like the Z6 and Z7 are not for you?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #665639 by renesys
This is the actual problem: I really like my Z6 but I am very disappointed that it has this problem and Nikon does not want to repair it, taking in considerations that there is a recall and other users don't have this problem. Being mostly a Nikon shooter for over 10 years, still owning a d800 and a d850, I have never had problems with them, until now.

I also made this for others to know about this problem if they already have a z6/z7 or if they are planning to get one.

A good example of this problem is this: Choosing between a Nikon Z6 and a Canon EOS R, let's say you want that IBIS VR and you notice that the Canon EOS R does not have it and uses the classical lens VR. What do you do? You buy the Z6. Than you see that the Nikon 24-70mm f2.8 has the same price as a Canon 24-70mm with VR. Whaaaat? And than you notice that in some situations your Nikon Z6 produces blurry images with VR, where Canon EOS R has absolutely no problem with the VR lens for the same money? And that is the horrible truth.

And the winner in this situation is the Sony a7iii with IBIS and not having this problem, the images are amazingly sharp in any situation.

4 years 4 months ago #665662 by garyrhook
Well, the link in the OP is dead. So there's that.

Second, I don't shoot at 1/125s or slower. Why would anyone? There are almost no situations where I am prevented from moving up to a shutter speed that (properly) freezes action, compensating with aperture or ISO. And using a tripod, I turn off any stabilization assist. I'd likely never have seen this problem. Does that minimize it? No, of course not.

Third, if the solution to the design flaw is to switch to electronic shutter, then Nikon is aware of the problem. Not sure why that's not an acceptable work-around.

However: given what was discovered in the FW update, we hope that the users hound Nikon for a real fix.

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #665723 by renesys
The link is working for me, but you can try this:  bit.ly/Z6blurry    do you own a z6 or z7?

"Why would anyone?" I can understand you, maybe in your line of work you don't shoot at that SS, but others use those speeds. Also the images are blurry between 1/30s and 1/250s with Mechanical Shutter and VR on, where VR should actually help.

Some examples: Many street photographers shoot handheld at speeds around 1/50s, especially in low light to not crank up the ISO, that is the point of the VR to help at those speeds. Doing landscapes when using small apertures you use those Shutter Speeds. Another good example: Weddings. you don't use tripods, you use flashes. And indoors you use SS around 1/100s with a Mechanical Shutter , because EFCS has sometimes banding with flashes or some indoor lights.

Using always EFCS is not a solution or a work-around. EFCS has many disadvantages like banding. And if you are talking about high speeds for freezing the action. EFCS on a z6/z7 works only until 1/2000s. And even under at 1/2000s for fast moving objects, the subjects can be deformed, rolling shutter effect. Especially when using the Fully Electronic Shutter, Silent as Nikon is calling it.

The Auto Shutter is a work-around but not that good for strobes and flashes when speeds are under 1/320s, but why should we use a work-around for problem that should not be there. We invest a lot of money in this, it's not cheap and certainly not a point and shoot camera or a smartphone camera.

Well said. I really hope that the users hound Nikon for a real fix.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024