D3400: wish to disable the flash for all modes

4 years 5 months ago #665091 by MoreCowbell
With my D3400, I’d like to disable the flash while choosing any of the modes on the Mode dial.  The only things I have discovered that are possible are:

1. On the Mode dial, the flash can be permanently disabled by selecting the Flash Mode.  But this is only for this mode – it doesn’t apply to any others.
  2. If I select (for example) Portrait mode, I can press the ‘i’ button and within that menu turn off the flash.  But this setting only holds for that photograph at that time.  If I then turn off the camera and then turn it back on, the setting is lost (i.e., the flash mode reverts to Auto).

Ugggh !!  I guess I’m, asking for too much.  I’m frankly surprised that this camera apparently has no capability to, at the operator’s discretion, disable the flash for any mode.  And unfortunately, I have seen nothing in the User’s Manual (136pp) that addresses this, and have found nothing online.

4 years 5 months ago #665093 by Nikon Shooter
I spotted this on pp 82

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
Attachments:
4 years 5 months ago #665105 by effron
To turn off the flash when the Nikon D3400 when in Auto Mode, press the "i" button on the back of the camera and select "Flash". Change the option to "No Flash" and then press the "OK" button. You will then be able to take images without flash on the camera. 

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #665113 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day MC

You don't state why you want to kill the flash in all modes - but if it is a case that you want to disable the flash 'permanently' try some black tape over the flash head and call it quits

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

4 years 5 months ago #665237 by MoreCowbell
This is in response to all others above.  Unfortunately, Nikon Shooter and Effron didn't read my question carefully, and Ozzie's response was snarky.

I called Nikon Tech Support and got a pretty simple answer:

Because the D3400 does have the Save Feature built in, changes to the flash
setting within the Auto mode or any of the Scene modes (Portrait, Child,
Close-up, Night portrait) are temporary.  (Landscape and Sports are
flash off only.)  They apply to the pictures taken before the camera is
shut off.  Once the camera is shut off, the settings are lost and mode
reverts to Auto.

In the P-S-A-M modes, the default is for the flash to be disabled.  Any changes to these via the ‘i’ menu are retained even after the camera is shut off.

The “No Flash” mode (lightning bolt w/ arrow) is essentially the Auto mode with flash disabled.

The following user(s) said Thank You: KNguyen
4 years 5 months ago #665241 by Nikon Shooter
Sorry for that!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #665244 by effron
Its good you finally got a correct answer...I read your question, I guess comprehension is tougher....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 5 months ago #665250 by Ozzie_Traveller

MoreCowbell wrote: This is in response to all others above.  ...., and Ozzie's response was snarky.

Beauty mate - it's been a long time since I was called 'snarky'
Mostly it's a reference to my parenthood ~ so thanks for the uplift  :evil:
Phil

4 years 5 months ago #665251 by garyrhook

MoreCowbell wrote: This is in response to all others above.  Unfortunately, Nikon Shooter and Effron didn't read my question carefully, and Ozzie's response was snarky.

I called Nikon Tech Support and got a pretty simple answer:

Because the D3400 does have the Save Feature built in, changes to the flash
setting within the Auto mode or any of the Scene modes (Portrait, Child,
Close-up, Night portrait) are temporary.  (Landscape and Sports are
flash off only.)  They apply to the pictures taken before the camera is
shut off.  Once the camera is shut off, the settings are lost and mode
reverts to Auto.

Except that you didn't say a word about shooting in Auto mode. The quote from the manual was perfectly relevant, and I'm sure the manual fully distinguishes behavior by mode (Auto, P/A/S/M). I think the help you got was pretty good.

And no, Ozzie wasn't snarky. That's a perfectly serviceable approach to solving a problem. And still a good idea. On-camera flash bites.

Also not snarky: you want good answers, you have to ask good questions. People can only work with the information provided (and you provided a lot, no question). But sometimes ya gotta go back and forth to clarify and investigate.

Still not snarky: when people make the effort to help out (100% successful or not), berating them is not, in my mind, a winning strategy.

Snarky: you're welcome.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024

With these easy iPhone photography tips, you can maximize the functionality of your iPhone’s camera and get much-improved results for portraits, landscapes, and any other genre!

Apr 05, 2024

A small camera backpack is the perfect vessel for carrying your photography kit. The problem is there’s so many to choose from! Use this guide for details on three top choices.

Apr 04, 2024