Nikon Z9 time to dump the XQD card

4 years 4 months ago #669207 by DRosewell
Nikon has a fantastic opportunity to dump the XQD card from its forthcoming Z9. Why incorporate a speed limiting format of only 440 Mb/s? With a forecast 60 MP sensor even a XQD card will become a bottleneck. A thin "chewing gum stick" housing for a M.2 Gen 4 measuring 2280 with 5400 Mb/s transfer speed interface is the way to go. Most professionals will always get a battery grip. So why not incorporate 1 chewing gum stick in the camera housing and a 2nd in the grip to suit the needs of professionals.

Its cheap and fast. i could get 2 x 1 Tb M.2  stick and housings for less than 1 x 256 Gb XQD cards. 10 x the transfer speed. 8 x the capacity. for the same price !

Its not rocket science. You can all thank me next year.

4 years 4 months ago #669229 by effron
I hope they get your message.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: DRosewell
4 years 4 months ago #669241 by garyrhook
I think you mean "MB" which is megabytes, not "Mb" which is megabits. Not the same thing.

The primary problem with the cost of XQD is the licensing to Sony. If everyone would move to CFE (same form factor) that issue would disappear.

Until we have enough devices needing data rates that require XQD, nothing is going to drive change. And who realistically shoots a burst of uncompressed 47MP images that exceeds what can currently be buffered?

IOW you can talk about technological possibilities all day long, but so what? What is your use case that requires greater bandwidth?

I suggest that it's not stills, it will be video. 6K, 8K, uncompressed 4K, and at 10 bit or greater. That's what we need to support, and what may drive change. There are RAW 4K solutions available today.

And most folks don't need anything more than 16MP images.

So, other than turning XQD into another Memory Stick (we hope) I'm not sure there's any point to what you suggest.

I won't even go into compute resources for storage and processing of said images....

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #669258 by DRosewell
Yes the licensing fee to SONY is a factor of its cost, but its already outdated. So why incorporate it. The buffer on the D850 is fantastic and I am hopeful the Z9 will at least match it. However with a 60 MP sensor I would expect more. Think 100+MB Raw file sizes x 12 or 15 fps. Its not just write speed, i hate nothing more than the length of time to get the data off a card.

One would hope Nikons' Z9 will be exceptional at video as well so the 'use' case is easily met. Even with my limited use, I can easily think of aviation air shows, high speed sports, all the way through to colour guard, marching bands, cheer squads etc.

My posts main purpose is to suggest that utilising XQD would be a waste of an opportunity by Nikon. Its a excellent opportunity to develop and launch a cheaper camera, that will also provide users with 10 x faster data transfer on a cheaper medium that will save them further $$$ whilst providing the redundancy that semi-pro and pro photographers want.

4 years 4 months ago #669309 by Jakov Barnes
Unfortunate for those that have a camera with one of these cards used!  

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #669460 by Scott Klubeck
Doubtful considering we are now reading that Nikon just released an XQD card of their own.  

Photo Comments
4 years 4 months ago #670068 by Carter Gledhill
Looks like after the Firmware update, that all Z series are getting set up for CF Express.  

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024