Nikon not taking professionals serious with Z series?

4 years 2 months ago #670998 by Jason Stevens
One of the thoughts I had wondered for some time, is that why isn't there f/2.8 glass for the Z cameras?  These have been out over a year now, and with the exception of the 24-70mm, there isn't any 2.8 glass.  The 14-24mm 2.8 and 70-200mm 2.8 should have been out already.  Unless 70-200mm went back to the drawing board after they saw Canons shorter 70-200mm lens?

Is Nikon risking pro's jumping ship?

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #671001 by Nikon Shooter
I am way too busy to be bothered with speculations
about the Z stuff — or any other — though I make a
point getting specification sheets of tangible gear.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #671015 by garyrhook

Jason Stevens wrote: The 14-24mm 2.8 and 70-200mm 2.8 should have been out already.

According to whom?  Perhaps, if you went back in time to look at how F-mount lenses have been rolled out, you'd gain some perspective in how much time is required for product development. It's not possible to produce infinite products in zero time.

As far as pro's [sic] jumping ship, anyone bent on mirrorless has likely already moved to Sony. There are many stories out there about that. For Nikon, it's going to take a while, mirrorless is likely the future, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Regarding the 70-200, not everyone wants a telescoping lens like the Canon. Assumptions about its attractiveness might be premature.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #671017 by Jason Stevens
I'm not trying to tick anyone off here.  Just saying look at the rate that Canon is rolling out fast glass.  I won't reference Sony because they have been at it for much longer.   Nikon rolled out the 58mm f/.95 which was worthless to 99.9% of users.  They had the know how to come to market with that, why not release their 2.8 glass as their road map originally stated?

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #671026 by effron
Back about 2005 the same complaints about Nikon not being serious with digital. They can be slow and intentional, they are a much smaller company than Canon or Sony...

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #671039 by garyrhook

Jason Stevens wrote: I'm not trying to tick anyone off here.  Just saying look at the rate that Canon is rolling out fast glass.  I won't reference Sony because they have been at it for much longer.   Nikon rolled out the 58mm f/.95 which was worthless to 99.9% of users.  They had the know how to come to market with that, why not release their 2.8 glass as their road map originally stated?

Of course not. I'm suggesting that some careful, critical thinking is required.

Consider this:

Oftentimes, a company will release a product that has little applicability to the vast majority of customers, but is a technology statement. I believe the NOCT was just such a lens: who else has a 0.95 lens? That this is even possible on Z tells potential customers that there is a potential for much faster glass than the f/1.4 we've been limited to on the F mount.

Which might be enough to keep some folks on board, folks that might otherwise move to another sytem.

For me, the only Canon lens of which I'm jealous is the 85 f/1.2. I believe that there will be an 85mm f/1.2S lens in the future, and that is when I'll consider moving to Z (if it hasn't happened already for other reasons). The statement made by that lens gave me hope.

So while the NOCT appears to be worthless to users, it's likely of great value to Nikon.

We also don't know how long Canon's mirrorless systems have been in development, nor how long Nikon's has. Nikon appears to be slow and methodical, but I have confidence that, in time, we'll see wonderful products.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #671051 by effron
". Nikon appears to be slow and methodical".....
Yup, sometimes painfully slow it seems, again I reference Nikon users' patience. I'm not certain what causes the jitters in some, my DSLR gear continues to function over my skills. I'm not in a big tear for a mirrorless system. 

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #671438 by effron
If the rumors are only half correct, the Z8 looks like a serious entry. 

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #671468 by fmw
the answer is usually money.  I assume that Nikon doesn't consider the installed base of these cameras to be extensive enough to support expensive lenses profitably.  Comparing to Canon is not fair because Canon has been in the "serious" mirrorless cameras for a lot longer.  You can consider buying a Canon if you like, assuming they have the lenses available that you want.  Pros tend to buy systems, not camera bodies so the peripheral equipment is an important factor in choosing one.

Photo Comments
4 years 2 months ago #671629 by Chris Curran
Tomorrow there is supposed to be some updates from Nikon.  Can't wait to see.  :)

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Time management is a critical skill to master when you’re a photographer. But how do you get the most out of the limited time you have? Check out this guide to learn a few tricks!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024