Nikon not taking professionals serious with Z series?

5 months 13 hours ago #670998 by Jason Stevens
One of the thoughts I had wondered for some time, is that why isn't there f/2.8 glass for the Z cameras?  These have been out over a year now, and with the exception of the 24-70mm, there isn't any 2.8 glass.  The 14-24mm 2.8 and 70-200mm 2.8 should have been out already.  Unless 70-200mm went back to the drawing board after they saw Canons shorter 70-200mm lens?

Is Nikon risking pro's jumping ship?

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

5 months 13 hours ago #671001 by Nikon Shooter
I am way too busy to be bothered with speculations
about the Z stuff — or any other — though I make a
point getting specification sheets of tangible gear.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

5 months 3 hours ago #671015 by garyrhook

Jason Stevens wrote: The 14-24mm 2.8 and 70-200mm 2.8 should have been out already.

According to whom?  Perhaps, if you went back in time to look at how F-mount lenses have been rolled out, you'd gain some perspective in how much time is required for product development. It's not possible to produce infinite products in zero time.

As far as pro's [sic] jumping ship, anyone bent on mirrorless has likely already moved to Sony. There are many stories out there about that. For Nikon, it's going to take a while, mirrorless is likely the future, and if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Regarding the 70-200, not everyone wants a telescoping lens like the Canon. Assumptions about its attractiveness might be premature.

Photo Comments

5 months 1 hour ago #671017 by Jason Stevens
I'm not trying to tick anyone off here.  Just saying look at the rate that Canon is rolling out fast glass.  I won't reference Sony because they have been at it for much longer.   Nikon rolled out the 58mm f/.95 which was worthless to 99.9% of users.  They had the know how to come to market with that, why not release their 2.8 glass as their road map originally stated?

Photo Comments

4 months 4 weeks ago #671026 by effron
Back about 2005 the same complaints about Nikon not being serious with digital. They can be slow and intentional, they are a much smaller company than Canon or Sony...

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

4 months 4 weeks ago #671039 by garyrhook

Jason Stevens wrote: I'm not trying to tick anyone off here.  Just saying look at the rate that Canon is rolling out fast glass.  I won't reference Sony because they have been at it for much longer.   Nikon rolled out the 58mm f/.95 which was worthless to 99.9% of users.  They had the know how to come to market with that, why not release their 2.8 glass as their road map originally stated?

Of course not. I'm suggesting that some careful, critical thinking is required.

Consider this:

Oftentimes, a company will release a product that has little applicability to the vast majority of customers, but is a technology statement. I believe the NOCT was just such a lens: who else has a 0.95 lens? That this is even possible on Z tells potential customers that there is a potential for much faster glass than the f/1.4 we've been limited to on the F mount.

Which might be enough to keep some folks on board, folks that might otherwise move to another sytem.

For me, the only Canon lens of which I'm jealous is the 85 f/1.2. I believe that there will be an 85mm f/1.2S lens in the future, and that is when I'll consider moving to Z (if it hasn't happened already for other reasons). The statement made by that lens gave me hope.

So while the NOCT appears to be worthless to users, it's likely of great value to Nikon.

We also don't know how long Canon's mirrorless systems have been in development, nor how long Nikon's has. Nikon appears to be slow and methodical, but I have confidence that, in time, we'll see wonderful products.

Photo Comments

4 months 4 weeks ago #671051 by effron
". Nikon appears to be slow and methodical".....
Yup, sometimes painfully slow it seems, again I reference Nikon users' patience. I'm not certain what causes the jitters in some, my DSLR gear continues to function over my skills. I'm not in a big tear for a mirrorless system. 

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

4 months 3 weeks ago #671438 by effron
If the rumors are only half correct, the Z8 looks like a serious entry. 

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

4 months 3 weeks ago #671468 by fmw
the answer is usually money.  I assume that Nikon doesn't consider the installed base of these cameras to be extensive enough to support expensive lenses profitably.  Comparing to Canon is not fair because Canon has been in the "serious" mirrorless cameras for a lot longer.  You can consider buying a Canon if you like, assuming they have the lenses available that you want.  Pros tend to buy systems, not camera bodies so the peripheral equipment is an important factor in choosing one.

Photo Comments

4 months 3 weeks ago #671629 by Chris Curran
Tomorrow there is supposed to be some updates from Nikon.  Can't wait to see.  :)

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In the Canon 5D Mark III vs Canon 1D Mark IV battle, which of these older cameras is right for you? Get all the details on these oldies but goodies in this comparison review.

May 27, 2020

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

Is the Fujifilm GFX 50S medium format camera the right choice for you? Find out in this quick review of its specs, build quality, video capabilities, and more.

May 18, 2020
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

There are many reasons why you should print on metal, including the durability and uniqueness of metal prints, as well as all the options you have for customizing your print.

May 29, 2020

Razer has unleashed the 2020 version of their Blade 15 Studio, and it is an incredible machine with the power visual creatives need.

May 29, 2020

Canvas or paper prints can be a nice addition to your home, but each one has distinct advantages and disadvantages that are helpful to know before you buy.

May 27, 2020

In the Canon 5D Mark III vs Canon 1D Mark IV battle, which of these older cameras is right for you? Get all the details on these oldies but goodies in this comparison review.

May 27, 2020

I have two high-powered laptops on my desk. In this Macbook vs Razer comparison, I'll break these computers down by specs, pros, and cons.

May 27, 2020

There are plenty of items photographers need, including office equipment that improves your workflow, the functionality of your space, and makes you more comfortable.

May 26, 2020

If you're in the market for a new camera strap and you want something custom and handmade, look no further than these custom camera straps from Holdfast.

May 26, 2020

You can learn nude photography with any kind of camera. What's more important is to focus on the process and making the model (and yourself) as comfortable as possible.

May 26, 2020