Nikon d810 still worth buying

4 years 3 months ago #671628 by Chris Curran
I'd like to make an upgrade from my D700 and looking at the D810.  However would you consider this camera still worth buying?  From the D700, it's a leap forward.  Or would you suggest saving up a bit more for a deal on the D850 or what ever might be coming?

My camera has been acting up and I'll need to do something  here soon.  

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #671635 by effron
Absolutely. I still shoot a D800 and its more camera than I "need".....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #671654 by garyrhook
The D810 is a lot of camera, but if you're looking at new, the D850 is currently less expensive. Just get it on sale.

Or wait for the D780, rumored to announced at CES.

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #671662 by Nikon Shooter
Oooooh yes… go for it!

Even after getting the D850 — that I exclusively use on the
600mm ƒ4 — the D810 now went to publishing and location
part of my work… a workhorse.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #671688 by Nikon Shooter
There is a thing that it does waaaaay better:
SR it is more quiet!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #671717 by ThatNikonGuy
+1 on all the above.

But if you are buying used, there are some D850s that I've seen on CL and all around for well under $2000.  Find the right camera, and right seller and you'll be sporting a D850.  Either way, all good cameras. 

Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #671776 by effron

garyrhook wrote: The D810 is a lot of camera, but if you're looking at new, the D850 is currently less expensive. Just get it on sale.

That's a ten four.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #671837 by garyrhook
The shutter release (on what?) is more quiet than what?

The D780 also has a truly silent mode, and can shoot at 12 fps in it (according to the specs on the Nikon site, which I read this morning). That beats the D850.

And damned Nikon probably won't update the FW on the D850, even though I'm willing to bet that it is perfectly capable of comparable function.

Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024