Upgrade Nikon D750 to the new D780 or jump to the Z6?

2 months 3 weeks ago #671671 by Sanford
Well the specs on the D780 kind of look like a Z6, except $600 more.  I'm a bit undecided about this.  You do pick up 2 card slots with the D780 over the single slot on the Z6.  I'd like to see what others are thinking about this camera.   What were your thoughts about it?  

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 3 weeks ago #671673 by Nikon Shooter
I am a DSLR fanatic with an uncompromising taste
for 2 cards… but my needs are possibly different.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

2 months 3 weeks ago #671779 by effron
My thoughts.... Are you in a hurry? What is the D750 not doing for you now?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

2 months 3 weeks ago #671833 by Vahrenkamp
Specs look nice on the D780, I was thinking about picking up one as a second body.  We have a couple weeks before these will be in the stores, so we have time.  

Photo Comments

2 months 3 weeks ago #671836 by garyrhook
It all depends upon what kind of problem you're trying to solve.

Photo Comments

2 months 3 weeks ago #671849 by Vahrenkamp

garyrhook wrote: It all depends upon what kind of problem you're trying to solve.

I've been  wrong before, but I think he's looking for input on the camera.  

"I'd like to see what others are thinking about this camera.   What were your thoughts about it?  "

Aloha   

Photo Comments

2 months 2 weeks ago #671990 by garyrhook

Vahrenkamp wrote:

garyrhook wrote: It all depends upon what kind of problem you're trying to solve.

I've been  wrong before, but I think he's looking for input on the camera.  

"I'd like to see what others are thinking about this camera.   What were your thoughts about it?"

Okay, I'll add more words:

It doesn't matter what other people think. What matters is the needs of the potential customer. And that comes down to two things:
  1. Solving a problem
  2. G.A.S.
The latter then, makes the former irrelevant, along with others' opinions. The OP can ask about thoughts, but in the end it comes back to the OP. I'm just cutting out wasted time.

More words:
If you read the Nikon site, you learn that the D780 can shoot, in silent mode, as 12 fps. It has two UHS-II card slots. It does 4K video. I think it has the eye AF feature (I could be wrong).
The Z6 has a new mount, and all the potential that implies. Folks are raving about the video, but I'll bet the D780 is comparable. It's lighter. It has one card slot.

Those are the things that the OP needs to consider, and that goes back to problem solving, either current or future. There's really no other way to look at it. Unless it's just G.A.S.

Prove me wrong.

Photo Comments

2 months 2 weeks ago #672200 by effron
You aren't wrong, just rational. I'll wager half the camera upgrades are sold to people that think the new gear will deliver "better pictures"....even among the experienced. 
Other than a couple things, like FPS rates, articulating screen, etc I don't see much improvement to my seven year (or eight) D800.....for what I use it for. The Z6 doesn't excite me in the least.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #672870 by Pete Franko
I've already got my preorder in for the D780.  So, you have my answer. 

Photo Comments

2 months 1 week ago #673479 by FotisGR
I jumped from my Nikon D7200 to Z6. It depends what you are looking for.
Mirrorless cameras, I believe they are the future. With the FTZ mount you can put on almost all Nikon's lenses. I have mounted on my Z6 the FF 50mm 1.8, FF 85mm 1.8, Tokina 11-20mm 2.8 DX lense, all working great. The EVF and the back monitor are great.
I wish the eye autofocus was on par with Sony's.

2 months 1 week ago #673488 by effron

FotisGR wrote: I jumped from my Nikon D7200 to Z6. It depends what you are looking for..........

Correct, and it will be in short order.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

2 months 5 days ago #673835 by Scott Klubeck

FotisGR wrote: I jumped from my Nikon D7200 to Z6. It depends what you are looking for.
Mirrorless cameras, I believe they are the future. With the FTZ mount you can put on almost all Nikon's lenses. I have mounted on my Z6 the FF 50mm 1.8, FF 85mm 1.8, Tokina 11-20mm 2.8 DX lense, all working great. The EVF and the back monitor are great.

I think both Nikon and Canon are running after Sony on a number of points, eye AF is certainly one of them. 

Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Sony a7S II might be almost five years old, but as you'll see in this Sony a7S II review, it still packs a mighty punch with a small price tag.

Mar 23, 2020

In this Nikon D780 review, learn about the D780's features, specs, video capabilities, and more. Also learn how to score a discounted price on a D780 and how you can extend your gear budget!

Mar 13, 2020

In the Sony a6000 vs Sony a6100 battle, which one comes out on top? One offers a lower price tag while the other has more updated features. Find out which camera is best for you in this buyer's guide.

Mar 13, 2020

The Canon EOS RP is an entry-level camera that has some excellent features. In this Canon EOS RP review, learn all about its pros, cons, features, price, and more!

Mar 03, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

If you're looking for cheap laptops under $500, look no further than this list of some of the best laptops 2020 has to offer. In many cases, these inexpensive laptops are well under $200!

Mar 27, 2020

If you're in the market for one of the best lenses for beginner photographers, look no further than these versatile, budget-friendly options for Canon, Nikon, Sony, and more.

Mar 26, 2020

Is Elephant Stock worth your hard-earned dollars for a custom canvas print? In my Elephant Stock Review, learn the good, the bad, and the ugly of getting one of their fine art canvas prints.

Mar 25, 2020

These wedding photography marketing tips will help you spread the word about your business and generate more income from an increased number of clients.

Mar 25, 2020

If you're wondering how to improve your photography business, look no further than these sensible tips. Gain new skills, expand your service offerings, and be prepared to expand your business in the future.

Mar 25, 2020

If simple photography mistakes are getting you down, learn how to avoid common beginner photography mistakes so you can improve the quality of your photos. These tips will get you started!

Mar 25, 2020

Looking for things to do at home to pass the time? Need some activities for quarantine? This list will get you going with tons of ideas and resources!

Mar 24, 2020

Photography insurance is a must-have, yet some photographers roll the dice without it. In this guide, learn how to get photography insurance without paying high premiums.

Mar 24, 2020