Nikon Z6 RAW file size 12bit bug?

4 years 3 months ago #672325 by FotisGR
Dear All,
this is my concern on my new camera Z6 and I would like your help on this. It regards the size of the RAW files. I usually shoot 12bit RAW uncompressed. However I did some tests and I noticed that even I was shooting 12bit or 14bit, I was getting files over 40+ MB. Then one day my 12bit raw files had a size of 25MB (also, always using the highest pixel res "L") and then back to 40+. What's the normal size of an uncompressed RAW 12bit high resolution file? Is it around 25MB or around 40MB? I am thinking there is a bug in the firmware and can't distinguish what size or bit depth I am using. Many thanks in advance. 

4 years 3 months ago #672341 by effron
I've never shot 12 bit uncompressed, but my 14 bit files (D800, 36.3 mp sensor)  average between 37 and 43 MB, depending on the details in the image. Not sure why such a drop in info, but hard to believe a Z6 produces that big a file.....
Stay tuned.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 3 months ago #672342 by effron
Just did a quick search and 14 bit lossless uncompressed will indeed render a 40mp image, give or take on a Z6. Are you shooting the same subjects and getting the big difference?

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: FotisGR
4 years 3 months ago #672360 by FotisGR
I noticed the difference when i shoot different subjects and it doesn't do it always.
I looked also in the internet and 14bit raw uncompressed renders 40mb file size. But when I change it to 12bit the size is almost the same. However, a couple of days ago I got 25mb file..! I have to show you the picture to prove that it has a lot of information.
Thanks for your answer

4 years 2 months ago #673478 by Nikon Shooter
I use mainly the 14 bits lossless compressed, trying to get
best of everything. Lots of colours, wide DR, full recovery
potential and longer sequences.

I know that the resolution will limit the buffer performan-
ce and firing rate but I do not need anything faster than
7~8 fr/s in pretty short bursts,

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: FotisGR
4 years 2 months ago #673486 by effron

FotisGR wrote: I noticed the difference when i shoot different subjects and it doesn't do it always.
I looked also in the internet and 14bit raw uncompressed renders 40mb file size. But when I change it to 12bit the size is almost the same. However, a couple of days ago I got 25mb file..! I have to show you the picture to prove that it has a lot of information.
Thanks for your answer

If you do post the pic, make certain the exsif is intact.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024