Z50 exposure meter and landscape

4 years 1 month ago #678953 by amatula
Hi,

I had been considering a Fuji X-T30 but before that I had demo'd a Z50. I was just re-reviewing the images from the Z50 and noting how much I liked  them: the color, detail, and sharpness, and that was with the 16-50 kit lens. I am impressed -- even more so, considering I only shot the camera in auto mode.

May I ask:
Does the viewfinder have an exposure meter where you can see steps of over/underexposure?
I cannot find that online.

Also, if you do landscape photography, can you recommend any good lens that won't break my piggy bank?

And if you have any comments on the Z50 as a landscape camera, I would love to hear it. I don't see anything on the 'net on the Z50 as a landscape camera and I didn't get a chance to shoot landscape much in my quick demo.

Thank you and all the best!
Annie

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #678970 by Shadowfixer1
You should go to Nikon's website and download the owner's manual. That will tell you a lot of information you should know before purchasing.
The following user(s) said Thank You: amatula
4 years 1 month ago #679006 by effron

Shadowfixer1 wrote: You should go to Nikon's website and download the owner's manual. That will tell you a lot of information you should know before purchasing.

+1

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #679668 by Nikon Shooter
When it comes to the correct exposure,
the histogram is your best friend!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #679675 by effron

amatula wrote: Hi,

May I ask:
Does the viewfinder have an exposure meter where you can see steps of over/underexposure?
I cannot find that online.
Annie

You need to go see and handle one somewhere, but these days it'll be tough to find an open store.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #679821 by amatula
Thank you!
I have not relied on histograms, although I started to mentally visualize what it would be based on what I am seeing in the viewfinder. I am thinking I am going to be using them more :)

All the best!

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #679920 by Glen Mosley
My wife wants the Z50 camera.  Might pick it up for her.  Are you happy with it?  

I guess, the big question is, would you buy it again?

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #679924 by Shadowfixer1
Z50 viewfinder 
See #12 area

Attachments:
4 years 1 month ago #679937 by amatula
Shadow Fixer, that is great and just what I was hoping for! :)
Thank you so much for your time and help!
Annie

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #679938 by amatula
Hi Glen,
I have not purchased yet; just demo'd.
I did like the images even with the kit lens, but I am hoping for an affordable VR wide angle F2.8 lens. And I loved the weight and feel of the camera in my small hands.

Nikon has a sale on the body and both kit lens, which is tempting: www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/produ...meras/1633/z-50.html

I have narrowed my search (thus far!) to this camera, the Fuji X-T30/X-T3, or the Canon EOS RP.

I might suggest posting a separate post and asking people who own the camera to offer feedback. You might include what your wife is looking for and her background. E.g. I am looking for:

- lightweight
- good vibration reduction either in the lens and/or body
- full manual control
- excellent quality
- weather-sealing if possible as I hike with the camera
- best quality wide angle lens I can put on the camera, new or used, for under $500 (for now!)
- creative functionality, such as focus stacking

All the best!
Annie

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #679964 by Shadowfixer1

amatula wrote: Hi Glen,
I have not purchased yet; just demo'd.
I did like the images even with the kit lens, but I am hoping for an affordable VR wide angle F2.8 lens. And I loved the weight and feel of the camera in my small hands.

Nikon has a sale on the body and both kit lens, which is tempting: www.nikonusa.com/en/nikon-products/produ...meras/1633/z-50.html

I have narrowed my search (thus far!) to this camera, the Fuji X-T30/X-T3, or the Canon EOS RP.

I might suggest posting a separate post and asking people who own the camera to offer feedback. You might include what your wife is looking for and her background. E.g. I am looking for:

- lightweight
- good vibration reduction either in the lens and/or body
- full manual control
- excellent quality
- weather-sealing if possible as I hike with the camera
- best quality wide angle lens I can put on the camera, new or used, for under $500 (for now!)
- creative functionality, such as focus stacking

All the best!
Annie

If you haven't handled the X-T30 I suggest you do so before buying. The image quality is identical to the X-T3 but it is almost too small. It feels a little cramped and fiddly to me. You other choices are very good and I am partial to Nikon and Fuji because I like the colors. I am sure the Canon is fine but I have no experience with the brand except for their printers. If you are looking for a cheap alternative, you may want to consider an Olympus E-M10II. The only reason I suggest this is the lens lineup tends to be less expensive than the others. I moved to Olympus from Nikon for size and weight along with cost. If you have already eliminated it from consideration that's fine. The choices you have listed are all good cameras but I suggest you make your purchase on the lens lineup. We generally change camera bodies but it gets expensive real quick if you change lens mounts and go with a new system. Good luck and enjoy whichever one you choose.
4 years 1 month ago #679968 by amatula
Thank you, Shadow Fixer!
Very helpful - the X-T30 felt fine in my small hands but I preferred the X-T3.
I have been tempted by Oly (demo'd in-store the E-M5 II with 12-60mm f/2.8-4); they have a great lens selection from what I read, but I was wondering how it performed with landscape. It gets raves for street photography (and in my demo I could see why!). But with landscape, I did not get enough images with it- the camera had been in "creative mode" (I demo'd at existing settings) and did not handle high contrast scenes well at all I thought. But I figured it had to be the settings.
I love the Oly functionality and weather-sealing, so I had been bummed when I couldn't get good landscape images with it -- maybe I should try again when the stores reopen.

Thank you, again, and all the best!
Annie

Photo Comments
4 years 4 weeks ago #680047 by Shadowfixer1
If you want real world samples of Olympus image quality, look at my gallery. I don't claim to be anything special as a photographer so what you see there should be an example of what you can expect. It's up to you to decide if the image quality is good enough. You can also view my stuff on Instagram at randymyers6116.
4 years 4 weeks ago #680136 by amatula
Hi Randy,
Those are really great!
I was impressed with the sharpness (especially moving animals and insects!) and detail.
Do you do much post-editing and what lens do you use? I think I'd start wide angle (16-80 range).
Since I am a pixel peeper (although I acknowledge I should not be!) do you think I'd be OK with the lens that way?

Thank you again!
Annie

Photo Comments
4 years 4 weeks ago #680203 by Shadowfixer1
My main lens is the Oly 12-40 2.8 lens. My next most used lens is the 75-300. The full frame equivalents are a 24-80 and a 150-600. I only shoot RAW images so I do process every image. I don't normally spend a lot of time on each one but each one is processed.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024