What (cheaper) Full Frame Nikon camera should I upgrade to?

4 years 1 month ago #679778 by iKokomo
I will be selling my Nikon APS-C cameras except for my D90 and I would like to upgrade to an older, but still great Nikon Full-Frame camera. I have been looking at the Nikon D3, D700 or D800 because they seem to be in my price range. I have been leaning toward the D3 because of its weather sealing, professional viewfinder and quality and full manual control however, D800 seems to have a better sensor. Video is not necessary as I have a Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera. I have plenty of good Nikon lenses such as a 70-200mm f/2.8, Nikon 50mm f/1.2 and more. My favorite style of photography is portrait.PS. I would love a Nikon DF, but those are still too expensive for me :) 

4 years 1 month ago #679791 by Nikon Shooter
The D3 is built like a tank. The D800E has a superb
DR and a 3x higher pixel count.

Both may be found on the used market.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #679792 by Screamin Scott
Just remember that they will be larger and heavier as well than the APS-C DSLRs...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #679802 by garyrhook
They're all fine choices. The D800 is running a bit higher than the other two.

N.B. Nikon doesn't make a 50mm f/1.2 F-mount lens. No one does, because it's impossible.

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #679807 by iKokomo

4 years 1 month ago #679809 by Screamin Scott
That is a manual focus Nikkor lens. It will not AF on any of those cameras and will have to be used in either "M" or "A" modes only, other modes will not work. If you want EXIF info to show, the lens info (focal length and maximum aperture) needs to be listed in the menu system. Focusing will have to be done manually as well...

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago - 4 years 1 month ago #679810 by Screamin Scott

garyrhook wrote: They're all fine choices. The D800 is running a bit higher than the other two.

N.B. Nikon doesn't make a 50mm f/1.2 F-mount lens. No one does, because it's impossible.

Nikon does, but it an older manual focus model...They made both a 50 and a 58 MM F1.2 MF lens

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #679814 by garyrhook

Screamin Scott wrote:

garyrhook wrote: They're all fine choices. The D800 is running a bit higher than the other two.

Nikon does, but it an older manual focus model...They made both a 50 and a 58 MM F1.2 MF lens

Apologies to the OP; I was under a mistaken impression, and stand corrected.

Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #679817 by effron
D700, for a song. Great low light sensor, the same sensor in the D3.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 1 day ago #682751 by iKokomo
Well, after all is said and done, I did end up getting a used, decently priced (from a reputable company) Nikon DF! :) I know it does not have the 2x memory card slot, but it checked the box is all the other categories, plus it will pair very well with some of my dad's old Nikon glass.

4 years 1 day ago #682758 by Shadowfixer1
Good choice if the price was right.
3 years 11 months ago #683119 by Sanford
:agree:   go with the D800, it's a workhorse AND you can find some good deals on the used market.  

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #683127 by Nikon Shooter
Both mentioned models have proven their worth. Those of
the D8xx serie are out performing the D7xx series in many
ways  but come with a greater pixel count

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024