Nikkor 400mm f5.6

4 years 1 month ago #679971 by bigalp1
I recently purchased a mint Nikkor 400mm f5.6 with a very late serial number.  It has not arrived yet but it did not include a tripod collar.  My intention is to use this with my D7500 on the SkyGuider Pro and eventually auto guided for astrophotography.

Does anyone have any idea what diameter the lens barrel is at the collar location.  It's unlikely I'll ever be able to find anything as wide as the original though....

Thanks in advance

4 years 1 month ago #680044 by effron

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #680045 by effron

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #680046 by effron
Those links are page worthy, sorry for that. Anyway, I'd ignore Nikon replacement collars in favor of a better made Kirk. One is linked in previous post. 

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 1 month ago #680048 by Screamin Scott
Exactly which version is it?. An AF one or an MF one?... I have an MF 400mm F5.6. Effron is assuming it is an 80-400 zoom (which I have the older one also). Before we can recommend a replacement, we need to know the exact model...

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
4 years 4 weeks ago #680115 by effron
No, I might have linked in error, but I knew he was talking 400 prime. I have a 300 f/4 that I replaced the original Nikon collar with a Kirk and I'd do it again with any teles I might buy in the future.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 4 weeks ago #680116 by effron
Yup, I posted bad link. I just typed in the telephoto and it brought me to the 80-400 again. 
The second link is the correct one.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
4 years 4 weeks ago #680138 by Screamin Scott

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
4 years 4 weeks ago #680139 by bigalp1
Thanks everyone.
Apologies for lack of clarification.
Yes, it is a prime.  It is a Nikkor 400mm f5.6 ED (IF) Ais.  After checking the serial number (296538) on Roland's site it appears to be from late Aug 2002.  It had the wide collar.
I have looked all over ebay, called NYC and checked Amaz for originals and after market.
I was hoping for an actual measurement of the lens barrel for a new search or, now I realize I might be machining my own custom size.  I'm handy and, trying to be frugal...
Thanks again.
Al 

4 years 4 weeks ago #680258 by JaneK
OMG 400mm would be a dream to have.  200mm is all I have.  

Photo Comments
4 years 4 weeks ago #680262 by garyrhook

JaneK wrote: OMG 400mm would be a dream to have.  200mm is all I have.  

I have the Nikon 200-500 f/5.6. Doesn't get used a lot, but it wasn't expensive, so there's that.

You can always rent a longer lens when you need it. Cheaper than owning the big boys.

Photo Comments
4 years 4 weeks ago - 4 years 4 weeks ago #680376 by Screamin Scott
My 400mm F5.6 Ai EDIF cost me about $350 five years ago. A used 200-500 AFS is still over $1000 in used condition today. Not exactly what I'd call inexpensive... That said, renting is a good idea as those longer lenses do see limited use... 

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
4 years 3 weeks ago #680707 by Zach Mosher
Slap a 2X teleconverter on that.  :thumbsup:

Photo Comments
4 years 3 weeks ago #680935 by Nikon Shooter
I'm sure this suggestion is not compatible.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
4 years 3 weeks ago - 4 years 3 weeks ago #680936 by Nikon Shooter
 — "Just search the lens..."

Possibly a good solution. 
Kirk does good stuff.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

Latest Articles

Creating impactful photos of landscapes depends on many factors, not the least of which is your talent behind the lens. This guide explores other elements required for the best product.

Apr 23, 2024

The Canon EOS R100 is an entry-level mirrorless camera introduced in 2023. But just because it’s an entry-level camera doesn’t mean it’s a bare-bones camera. Find out why in this review!

Apr 22, 2024

Are you ready to upgrade your camera? Before buying new, you might consider the value of purchasing used gear to save money.

Apr 18, 2024

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024