Nikon discontinue the F mount and doubles down on mirrorless?

2 months 6 days ago #680111 by Marin Chi
With the popularity of mirrorless cameras these days, would that be enough that Nikon would discontinue their F mount and go all in with their Z mount?  Wouldn't that be more efficient for them?

Photo Comments

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

2 months 6 days ago #680114 by effron
Someday maybe, but Nikon is still selling lots of "F" mount glass.....

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

2 months 6 days ago #680118 by Shadowfixer1
Won't happen anytime soon but the day will come. I would say 10 years or so just guessing.

2 months 6 days ago #680119 by Nikon Shooter
???

NO WAY!  Not even in 10 years IYAM!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
This person is a posting maniac and deserves a #1 badge!Top Poster
Photo Comments

2 months 6 days ago #680125 by garyrhook
Nikon will invest in development for markets that they perceive will provide a return. New equipment: probably Z.

That said, they just came out with the D780, and there's a rumor of a D860 (or whatever) with a larger sensor. They clearly see life in the DSLR market, even with crossover features and function.

Probably because there will be a perception that the Z adapter will never be as good as a direct F mount, even though that's been shown to be a false perception. Nonetheless...

At some point Nikon will stop designing new glass, but continue to manufacture existing designs. Until that, too, becomes pointless.

I don't have an opinion on time frame.

Photo Comments

2 months 6 days ago #680130 by Shadowfixer1

Nikon Shooter wrote: ???

You sound just like the old film shooters back in the day that thought digital would never overtake film. I knew from the moment I saw an image from a 2 megapixel camera, that the film days would be ending sooner rather than later. 

2 months 6 days ago #680131 by Nikon Shooter
Though I did not switch to D in the days, film did not evolve
much after the green emulsions, was stagnant, so the promises
were more in the D side of thing.

I finally converted all my operations when I tested the D3X.

I don't see that I would get anything from a conversion to Z.

Photo Comments

2 months 5 days ago #680226 by effron

Shadowfixer1 wrote:

Nikon Shooter wrote: ???

You sound just like the old film shooters back in the day that thought digital would never overtake film.

I was one of those until the D70 was released. It allowed me to use some of my old Nikkor glass. Following that the D300/D700 made almost all of my lenses useable. I was hooked and I'd never go back to film.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

2 months 5 days ago #680229 by Nikon Shooter
Not going back to film any time soon either and the trigger
point for me was the D3X. I added many others since.

Photo Comments

2 months 4 days ago #680344 by effron
Um, right. Nobody is going back to film.

Why so serious?
Photo Comments

2 months 3 days ago #680489 by Flash Steven
I think just random opinion 5-8 years Nikon and others will  continue down their current paths before going all in with mirrorless.  Far to many users who  don't use mirrorless cameras.  

Canon 7D w/grip, Canon 40D, Canon 70-200mm f2.8 IS L Canon MPE 65mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 70-300mm f2.8; Sigma 150mm f2.8 macro; Sigma 8-16mm f4.5-5.6
Photo Comments

1.62M

• Facebook

802,251 / Likes

• Twitter

205,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

In the Canon 5D Mark III vs Canon 1D Mark IV battle, which of these older cameras is right for you? Get all the details on these oldies but goodies in this comparison review.

May 27, 2020

The Fujifilm X-T4 was released just a couple of months ago and represents a nice update to the X-T3. In this Fujifilm X-T4 review, we'll discuss specs, features, build, handling, and more.

May 20, 2020

Not sure if the Canon 5Ds R is right for you in 2020? Let us help you decide with this detailed Canon 5Ds R review.

May 20, 2020

Is the Fujifilm GFX 50S medium format camera the right choice for you? Find out in this quick review of its specs, build quality, video capabilities, and more.

May 18, 2020

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

There are many reasons why you should print on metal, including the durability and uniqueness of metal prints, as well as all the options you have for customizing your print.

May 29, 2020

Razer has unleashed the 2020 version of their Blade 15 Studio, and it is an incredible machine with the power visual creatives need.

May 29, 2020

Canvas or paper prints can be a nice addition to your home, but each one has distinct advantages and disadvantages that are helpful to know before you buy.

May 27, 2020

In the Canon 5D Mark III vs Canon 1D Mark IV battle, which of these older cameras is right for you? Get all the details on these oldies but goodies in this comparison review.

May 27, 2020

I have two high-powered laptops on my desk. In this Macbook vs Razer comparison, I'll break these computers down by specs, pros, and cons.

May 27, 2020

There are plenty of items photographers need, including office equipment that improves your workflow, the functionality of your space, and makes you more comfortable.

May 26, 2020

If you're in the market for a new camera strap and you want something custom and handmade, look no further than these custom camera straps from Holdfast.

May 26, 2020

You can learn nude photography with any kind of camera. What's more important is to focus on the process and making the model (and yourself) as comfortable as possible.

May 26, 2020