Nikon Upgrade?

3 years 11 months ago #683128 by Mhart032
Good morning all, this is my first post but been a forum member for sometime, i got into photography off and on since my first D50 several years ago, Ive upgraded from the D50 to the D90 to the D5300 then to the D7100 and J1 to kick around under water. I like to take portraits, and landscapes, but a ton of macro shots of my reef aquarium of corals and fish. 90% of my lenses are DX lenses with a couple of full frame, Ill post my lenses below, but here lies the question, I recently well yesterday dropped my D7100 off the desk and cracked the screen, i figure this is as good of a time to upgrade my kit. i would like to maybe go to a full frame camera, but i know with my lenses it could be quite expensive, i was looking at both the 7500 and D500, although i probably ruled the 7500 out due to no vertical grip. this had me thinking of maybe i should just upgrade my system to the Z6 with kit lenses and the FTZ adaptor, i notice that most my DX lenses will work on the Z6, but not on another full frame like the D850. I have watched a ton of reviews after settling on the D500, but then thought about the future of photography and most things going mirrorless with smashing results. That being said, im in no way a professional i wouldn't even call myself a good amateur, I understand the basics, but confused by gear with this upgrade. The other upgrades there were clear cut reasons for the upgrade but this is a difficult one.. anyone have any ideas? 

here is my kit 
Nikon D7100 
Nikon D5300
Nikkor DX 35 1:8
Nikkon 35 1.4 
Nikkor 50 1.4
Nikkor DX 10-24 3.5
Nikkor DX 70-300 4.5 
Nikkor DX 18-55 3.5 
Nikkor DX 18-200 3.5 
Nikkor Micro 105 2.8
Nikkor Micro 60 2.8 
Nikkor 200-500 5.6
Tamron macro 90 2.8 

Thanks all, any help would be appreciated. 

3 years 11 months ago #683134 by garyrhook
1) What do you want to be able to do that the D7100 wouldn't accompilsh?

2) What do you shoot that the D500 frame rate is important?

3) Your DX lenses will all work on an FX body. And all of the FX bodies have a "DX" mode for the sensor. This would give you results identical (or better, with a newer sensor) than what you have (had?).

A D750, a great camera, is now (relatively) very inexpensive, and would be a significant upgrade in sensor quality and low light ability. You can acquire the battery holder/grip on eBay for $100. I did. Hey, I'll sell you mine, since I don't really use.

You can buy new lenses when you need them.

A Z would provide the same options. If you only want a crop sensor, perhaps the Z50? The adapter allows the existing lenses, and you can buy new S lenses if/when you need to.

FYI you already have FX lenses, which are the better ones out of that lot.

So, new equipment should solve a problem. Aside from a broken body, what problems need solving?

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mhart032
3 years 11 months ago #683140 by Mhart032
Well, ive had this one fore a few years and id like the upgrade for the new features for auto focus and 4K video, I really liked that the D500 had the same sensor that the D5 has, i borrwed a D5 from a friend and i really liked it, but WAY out of my price range. i have a baby being born in 2 months and would like to be able to utilize the new features, Nikon has to offer for the long haul. I thought about the Z50 but i think the camera might be a little to small, i do like the size of the 7100 especially with the vertical grip, I have bigger hands so it always was pretty good size and weight with say the 200-500mm. 

3 years 11 months ago #683150 by garyrhook

Mhart032 wrote: I really liked that the D500 had the same sensor that the D5 has, i borrwed a D5 from a friend and i really liked it, but WAY out of my price range. i have a baby being born in 2 months and would like to be able to utilize the new features, Nikon has to offer for the long haul. I thought about the Z50 but i think the camera might be a little to small. 

Well, yes, the D500 has some very nice features. For which you pay a lot.

If you want 4K in a Nikon DSLR, you're going to pay a lot for it, as it wasn't added that long ago. There are only 6 models with that feature.

For me, 4K is meh, due to compression, huge file sizes, and the need for a 4K playback device to appreciate any benefit. And there aren't too many of those. If you want to video the baby, you'll do better with a better sensor, and you already have a fast lens or two.

But you didn't ask what I prefer. So, again, you have to decide what is important, and what is within your budget. Based on that letter, it still sounds like a D7500 would be about right, as the D750 is a bit higher in price. You could also look for a used D750 from someone that has more money than sense, and buys new gear just to have new gear.

I'll point out here that there's no battery grip for a D7500, unfortunately.

I would still encourage a stretch to the D750, because it's a great camera, and owners love it. But that's just me.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #683151 by Mhart032
Im not to concerned about the money as long as i can keep it under 15-$1600.00 for the body, i figure if i a buy a new body every 6 or 7 years then its ok to spend a little more if im going to keep it for that long. i did just read something thats not very attractive about the D500 its a 1.5 crop on top of the 1.5 crop, thats not a great 4k resolution, all we have in the house and at my desk is 4k and 5k for the dual mac monitors, corse the dock will only do 4k resolution but either way. I did a read a ton of reviews that people really liked the D750 it was a top rated camera even a couple years ago, even though it was released in 2014, what do you prefer to shoot? 

3 years 11 months ago #683245 by garyrhook

Mhart032 wrote: i did just read something thats not very attractive about the D500 its a 1.5 crop on top of the 1.5 crop, thats not a great 4k resolution

I was not aware that 4K mode on the D500 was cropped. I thought only Canon did that.

You do realize that 4K is only 3840 * 2160 = just over 8MP? You don't need a 20MP sensor to capture 8K, and by cropping you're taking advantage of the center of the lens, arguably, the sharpest area. I would think that by using LiveView you'd see exactly what you're getting, and it would not be a problem, aside from some changes to DoF. I hear a lot of complaints about this approach, but never any reasons as to why it's a bad thing.

If the D750 had included a couple of features that I found I required, I wouldn't have gone to the D850. I might have gotten the D780, as it's frame rate is higher, along with some other features, which I would have enjoyed. But I have the D850, too, and no regrets. I love both of them.

Anecdote: I ran into a couple shooting a wedding, and he using a D810 and D750. (This was after I'd rented a D810 to help me decide between it and the D750.) She told me that he preferred the D750, and I totally understood at that point. The D750 is a very good camera. The D850 is just a bit better on some ways. But so is a D4s.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #683249 by Mhart032
I have been looking more at the D750s, I think that might be the one, Ive looked in comparison to the D850 and D780, even looked at the D810. The D750 is very close to those from the comparisons ive read, with the exceptions to the D780. The price is great for a full frame camera for the D750 as well. I understand the no 4K, but eh for what i save in the price and im not a Vloger or have youtuber, Im more of a picture guy. i can still shoot 4k with my phone if i absolutely had to have it. I do want a full frame camera, ive made that decision, ive always wanted one but never made the jump, i was told my DX lenses would not in the past. I dont think im ready to drop the 2k on a D850. i think ill pickup the D750 and continue to learn and maybe use the extra cash to get more FX glass.

I do really appreciate all your help with this. You got me to look at some things that i really wasn't considering from the get go of want vs need. I've found a D750 with 16,034 shutter count for 899.99 is this to much to pay?  

3 years 11 months ago #683253 by Nikon Shooter
Low shutter count, coooool! If the general condition
is right, just go for it and have fun! :)

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #683255 by Mhart032
I actually found one with 1,596 shutter count, its a 2019 serviced in Feb 2020. I bought that one for 740.00 plus 25.00 shipping. 

3 years 11 months ago #683262 by garyrhook

Mhart032 wrote: I do really appreciate all your help with this. You got me to look at some things that i really wasn't considering from the get go of want vs need. I've found a D750 with 16,034 shutter count for 899.99 is this to much to pay?  

You're very welcome.

New D850: $3000. New D750: $1500. You can get a NIkon-refurbished D750 (B&H) for $1050. Comes with a 90-day warranty.

16K clicks is a pretty low shutter count. And $900 is pretty good, but depends upon the condition. Buying used is always risky, right?

I'll also point out that Nikon recalled some D750s for a shutter problem. I just got a new actuator in mine. :-) All for free.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #683282 by Mhart032

garyrhook wrote:

Mhart032 wrote: I do really appreciate all your help with this. You got me to look at some things that i really wasn't considering from the get go of want vs need. I've found a D750 with 16,034 shutter count for 899.99 is this to much to pay?  

You're very welcome.

New D850: $3000. New D750: $1500. You can get a NIkon-refurbished D750 (B&H) for $1050. Comes with a 90-day warranty.

16K clicks is a pretty low shutter count. And $900 is pretty good, but depends upon the condition. Buying used is always risky, right?

I'll also point out that Nikon recalled some D750s for a shutter problem. I just got a new actuator in mine. :-) All for free.

The one i was looking at was at allenscamera for 899.99 i emailed them to see if i could get acutal pictures, the first one i bought was on ebay, but the seller took the add down and ebay refunded me a few mins ago. must have been a scam. So yeah it hard to trust used, but ill keep looking as well while i wait for allens to get back to me, they actually have 3 thats are "E" condition, i did read about some issues with the D750 so we will see what i get i hope they would hope that they would repair it if i get one with a known issue, is there a certain run of serials that has the known issues? 

3 years 11 months ago #683286 by garyrhook

Mhart032 wrote:  i did read about some issues with the D750 so we will see what i get i hope they would hope that they would repair it if i get one with a known issue, is there a certain run of serials that has the known issues? 

Yes.

I had forgotten about the issue, until I ran a timelapse and discovered some odd behavior with the exposures. Then I ran across mention of the problem and thought, "ah ha!" I did some googling and found the Nikon webpage that lets you check your serial number:

https://www.nikonusa.com/en/service-and-support/service-advisories/technical-service-advisory-for-users-of-the-nikon-d750.html

Not too hard to find with a search for "Nikon D750 shutter problem". Second link.

I was not asked about ownership or registration. It's a recall, they'll fix it.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #683442 by Mhart032
So here is what i got, someone finally posted one on Craigslist, 27kclicks, i got the D750 kit with the 24-120mm lens, for the low price of 1200.00 I think i got a pretty good deal, thoughts?

3 years 11 months ago #683453 by garyrhook
Seems decent. We assume you tested it in person, and it looks to be in good condition. (I figure the exterior tells you a lot about how something was treated in general.)

The lens alone is worth $400, so seems a very good deal to me.

Have fun. Don't forget to check on the shutter issue.

Photo Comments
3 years 11 months ago #683529 by Mhart032
Yes sir, i tested it and everything works great, its 2 years old i actually have the receipt and box and everything. No shutter issue

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024