Z Series or D850 to add to my D500?

3 years 5 months ago #699174 by techguy817
Hey everyone!

I've been shooting digital for 20+ years and currently have a D500. Really been enjoying it. Primarily do travel photography, landscapes, and nature. For lenses I have the latest Nikon 70-200 as well as some DX lenses including 12-24 and Tamron 18-400. Going to Bryce and Zion in December and just generally want to get another camera body so I have two again (used to have the D300S and D200 and like having two sets of lenses/cameras readily available).

Current options include.

- Another D500. Good price and I know the camera but still crop sensor and video is poor (I don't do much video but might be nice to have. Last time I left on my D500 for a long video recording it seemed to overheat and shut down).
- D850. Full frame and somewhat similar controls to D500. Could use my 70-200 lens on it but that's about it for now. Video performance still not great.
- Z6II or Z7II with kit lens. Full frame, modern, smaller package, very good video. Controls different than D500 though, not super great battery life.

Would greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

3 years 5 months ago - 3 years 5 months ago #699313 by Nikon Shooter
The D850 would grant greater flexibility if you
already have FX lenses. Great DR and resolution.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #699314 by Scotty
Get a Nikon D6 if price isn't a concern.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #699317 by techguy817
Thanks for the replies.

Here is my list of current lenses:

Nikon 12-24 DX F4
Nikon 35 FX F1.8
Nikon 70-200 F2.8E
Tamron 18-400 F3.5-6.3

Only the 70-200 is an FX lens so whether I choose Z or D850 the others will all be cropped images and less than ideal from what I understand. Thinking of getting the Tamron 150-600 G2 potentially but not sure.

D6 is unfortunately out of the budget Scotty. Plus it's a little large and overkill for my casual photography needs. 

I think I'm leaning towards one of these two options.

Z6 II with kit 24-70 lens. $2,600. 
Pros: Compact size, great video, EVF composition, continuous shooting
Cons: Controls different, battery life, AF

D850. $3,000 (possibly also a prime lens)
Pros: MPs, AF, battery life, familiar controls
Cons: Only 70-200 ideal to use

Really torn on this one...

3 years 5 months ago #699319 by Nikon Shooter

techguy817 wrote: Really torn on this one...

That is the inconvenient of having to invest in two systems!

Photo Comments
3 years 5 months ago #699331 by Scotty

techguy817 wrote: Thanks for the replies.

Here is my list of current lenses:

Nikon 12-24 DX F4
Nikon 35 FX F1.8
Nikon 70-200 F2.8E
Tamron 18-400 F3.5-6.3

Only the 70-200 is an FX lens so whether I choose Z or D850 the others will all be cropped images and less than ideal from what I understand. Thinking of getting the Tamron 150-600 G2 potentially but not sure.

D6 is unfortunately out of the budget Scotty. Plus it's a little large and overkill for my casual photography needs. 

I think I'm leaning towards one of these two options.

Z6 II with kit 24-70 lens. $2,600. 
Pros: Compact size, great video, EVF composition, continuous shooting
Cons: Controls different, battery life, AF

D850. $3,000 (possibly also a prime lens)

Really torn on this one...

You only need one kidney.

When the last candle has been blown out
and the last glass of champagne has been drunk
All that you are left with are the memories and the images-David Cooke.

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #700691 by sierracharlie338
I would vote for the 850 personally. Your subjects and types of photography are similar to what I like to shoot and that would be my choice out of the 3. 

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #700721 by jack68

techguy817 wrote: Hey everyone!

I've been shooting digital for 20+ years and currently have a D500. Really been enjoying it. Primarily do travel photography, landscapes, and nature. For lenses I have the latest Nikon 70-200 as well as some DX lenses including 12-24 and Tamron 18-400. Going to Bryce and Zion in December and just generally want to get another camera body so I have two again (used to have the D300S and D200 and like having two sets of lenses/cameras readily available).

Would greatly appreciate any suggestions. Thanks in advance!

I've been shooting Nikons since 1971. Switched around a few times, but always came back to Nikon.
That said, I have two cameras, one being is the D7500 with Tamron 200-500mm on it most of the time for wildlife, birds etc. DX gives you a longer range compared to FX, example:
FX: 200-500mm
DX: 300-750mm
I also have the DX Tamron 17-50mm f/2.8 lens for the D7500, but don't use it much because:

I also have the D800e with the Nikkor 24-120mm f4 on it most of the times for landscapes and closeups. Here the FX gives you a much wider range for landscapes:
FX: 24-120mm
DX: 35-180mm
I also have a Nikkor 20mm f/2.8 for really wide shots.

I like having two Cameras for two main reasons.
1. Not having to switch lenses a lot.
2. Taking advantage of the different ranges/distance that FX/DX offers.

You can see what I do on my website and why I use both FX & DX
https://moskovita-photography.com/

3 years 4 months ago #700724 by Nikon Shooter

techguy817 wrote: D850. $3,000 (possibly also a prime lens)

I don't get the thinking!!!

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #700725 by Nikon Shooter

Scotty wrote: You only need one kidney.

Ouch!

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #700726 by Nikon Shooter

jack68 wrote: For some reason they won't let me post my website???

Who is "they"?

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #700736 by Nikon Shooter
That sounds reasonable to me… a review.

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #700761 by jack68

Nikon Shooter wrote: That sounds reasonable to me… a review.

Do they review your post before it's posted?

3 years 4 months ago #700784 by Nikon Shooter
At the beginning, they did… all sites do.

Such sites are in for the advertising money offering a free
platform for discussion. It is a business and someone keeps
an eye on it… or should!

Once they made sure you are not promoting yourself for free
through their platform…

Photo Comments
3 years 4 months ago #700785 by jack68

Nikon Shooter wrote: At the beginning, they did… all sites do.

Such sites are in for the advertising money offering a free
platform for discussion. It is a business and someone keeps
an eye on it… or should!

Once they made sure you are not promoting yourself for free
through their platform…

Not all sites, but some. What confused me was I posted it with my website link and it was going to be reviewed. Maybe it's because the moderator wanted to see what the link was? Anyways, I reposted without the link and it was posted immediately. 10 minutes later my original post showed up with the link and now I have a double post and can't remove it and the the ones like my last one. I click "report" requesting it to be removed and hopefully the related ones after that like this one.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024

The Canon 1DX Mark III is a big, burly professional camera packed with top-end features. Is it worth the investment in 2024? Find out in this detailed review!

Mar 04, 2024

In the OM-1 vs OM-5 debate, which camera comes out on top? Though they’re different cameras for different purposes, comparing them head to head clarifies which is best for your needs.

Mar 01, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Opening a photography business means undertaking various photography marketing strategies to promote your work. But you don’t want to do the same old thing - try these unique ideas!

Mar 22, 2024

The Canon EOS 80D might be a few years old, but it’s nevertheless a quality camera to invest in as a beginner or enthusiast looking for a mid-range DSLR with tons of lens options.

Mar 22, 2024

Wedding consultations are a critical part of a wedding photography gig. It’s when you learn about the couple and their wants, and present them with how you will meet those desires.

Mar 22, 2024

If you're looking for the best metal print of 2023, you'll find it from Artbeat Studios. After months of testing, Artbeat Studios beat out the competition!

Mar 21, 2024

Getting the best video shots on your camera or smartphone requires you to understand the fundamentals of composition and video editing. It helps to have the appropriate gear, too!

Mar 20, 2024

It’s easy to lose your inspiration behind the lens, especially as a beginner. These creative photography projects can help inspire you to try new techniques and improve your photos.

Mar 20, 2024

The Sigma fp L is a compact full-frame camera with a 61-megapixel sensor, 4K video capabilities, in-body image stabilization, and weather-sealed construction. What’s not to like?!

Mar 19, 2024