Help - D7500 mirror 'flutter'

3 years 1 month ago #712266 by deneb
Hi Guys,
I'm a newbie and wish to ask for help from more experienced users.  I bought a D7500 just over a year ago and started to learn how to use all those controls :-)
During the various lockdowns the camera got little use.  Now it looks as though we may be able to get out and about I have started to familiarize myself with the camera again.  However, something strange has started to happen and I hope it is my doing through ignorance and would welcome advice or comments. When starting to press the shutter release I get the usual beep sound as focus is established but now often there is a sort of 'fluttering' movement coming from the mirror as though it is deciding whether to lock up to see straight through the lens.  The photo is still taken ok but I wonder if I have done something to start this situation or if it means there is something wrong with the camera.  Luckily, I have a two year warranty and so I can take it to the dealer if necessary.  Any help will be appreciated.
Den.

3 years 1 month ago #712328 by Shadowfixer1
Is this a visible flutter or an audible flutter. If it's a sound you hear it may be the VR of the lens you're using if it has VR. Take the lens off and trip the shutter to see if it goes away and also visually observe the mirror action looking into the camera when the shutter is tripped and the lens is off. Does it happen at all shutter speeds?
The following user(s) said Thank You: deneb
3 years 1 month ago #712398 by deneb
Hi Shadowfixer1,
Thanks for your quick reply and advice.  You are right - this movement of the mirror only happens with VR set to 'on'.  Usually immediately after switching on when it seems to be seeking its best position.  It mostly then works normally.  Does this mean something wrong with the lens? 

I couldn't figure out how to operate the mirror via shutter release with the lens off. The lens is an 18-300mm that came with the body as a package.  Do you think I could have made some bad adjustment to cause this or has  the lens developed a fault?  I suppose the best thing is to talk to the dealer. 

Thanks again for your help.

Den.

3 years 1 month ago - 3 years 1 month ago #712426 by Shadowfixer1
No. The slight movement is normal. It's just the lens stabilizing the image. It will give a little jump or flutter when you press the shutter button. Most cameras have 2 settings. One will stabilize the image at a half press of the shutter. The other choice will only stabilize the image at full press of the shutter. It's up to you which to use. I use it at half press. 

PS. There is a menu setting that allows for shutter release without lens.
The following user(s) said Thank You: deneb
3 years 1 month ago #712438 by Nikon Shooter
Brilliant, Randy, I had no clue!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
3 years 1 month ago #712544 by deneb
Thanks yet again.  You have helped a lot. 

I wonder if when using the camera before I had the VR turned off on the lens.  I'll be able to carry on learning with this camera now  (It still seems quite complicated :)  )

Den.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024