Nikon D90 Sluggish Shutter

2 years 2 weeks ago #735340 by RESEARCH
Hello

I'm a 73 year old with a Nikon D90 which I bought from B&H (as reconditioned) back in 2008. The shutter count is only about 20K. Although I've lightly cleaned the moving mechanisms, I suspect the internal shutter mechanism is hanging up. Although I'm skilled at small repairs I don't think this is something I'd tackle unless I had a good tutorial. I've also read the shutter problem is somewhat common with the D90. So I'm shopping around for a used D90 body.

Thank You

2 years 2 weeks ago #735483 by r1ch

RESEARCH wrote: Hello

I'm a 73 year old with a Nikon D90 which I bought from B&H (as reconditioned) back in 2008. The shutter count is only about 20K. Although I've lightly cleaned the moving mechanisms, I suspect the internal shutter mechanism is hanging up. Although I'm skilled at small repairs I don't think this is something I'd tackle unless I had a good tutorial. I've also read the shutter problem is somewhat common with the D90. So I'm shopping around for a used D90 body.

Thank You

Usually the shutter works or it doesn't. Did you try a factory reset or do a firmware update on the camera. Have you tried to reproduce the problem with a different lens? Have you tried different settings. When did the problem start happening, after, a firmware update, new lens, new flash, dropping the camera, outside in the elements rain? Has anything changed? Battery fully charged?

2 years 1 week ago #735833 by Carter Gledhill
Was it always this way?  Have you tried the shutter in different shooting modes?  

2 years 1 week ago #735876 by RESEARCH
HelloPlease excuse the late response and thank you for all the replies... The following details should be helpful:Symptom: One successful snap shop is possible but in all subsequent attempts, the viewfinder illumination darkens, (can still see exposure
information), but auto focus doesn't work, (UNTIL) I take the lens
off/on (re-seat it), which again allows for ONE successful shot. I am
the original owner with 20K activations.Tests: The batteries are all fine. Three different (fully functional) Lenses were used to test the problem and it still persists. It was
believed the 'aperture stop-down mechanism' 'could' be faulty however I
observed the aperture lever with the Lens off, (wide open aperture), and
it returns to its original position everytime. I could NOT identify
sticky aperture blades, or bent aperture Lever on the camera or (ANY) of
the lenses. The mirror drops up and down without impairment. I was also
able to compare these functions/tests with another 'used' D90 I just
picked up.

Photos:
www.ww2survivorstories.com/Actuator-1.jpg
www.ww2survivorstories.com/D90ActuationLever.jpgThanks for any other ideas ..

2 years 1 week ago #735881 by r1ch
If you take a shot with the lens off. And try to take multiple shots does that work?
There is a mirror lock up feature used to clean the sensor. Try and enable that take a shot. Then you have to turn the camera off I believe to release the shutter and make the mirror go back up. Does that work? Can you take more shots after that?

Have you tried to use live mode and take several pictures that way?

2 years 6 days ago - 2 years 6 days ago #735948 by RESEARCH
Hello r1ch and thanx for the reply!

"try to take multiple shots does that work"?  (camera Menu ISO Off - Camera Mode M with the Lens Off) Yes I'm able to take multiple shots ....

"mirror lock up feature used to clean the sensor. Try and enable that and take a shot"
Camera will successfully focus with (normal viewfinder illumination) but ONE shot only. Camera will again go back to Problematic Mode, not allowing anymore shots to focus, activate shutter, or (exhibit normal viewfinder illumination).

"Have you tried to use live mode and take several pictures that way?"
Camera will successfully focus thru LCD Screen and take multiple shots.

However back to viewfinder view and focus, the camera will again go back to Problematic Mode, not allowing anymore shots to focus, activate shutter, or (exhibit normal viewfinder illumination).

Thank You r1ch

2 years 6 days ago #735954 by r1ch

RESEARCH wrote: Hello r1ch and thanx for the reply!

"try to take multiple shots does that work"?  (camera Menu ISO Off - Camera Mode M with the Lens Off) Yes I'm able to take multiple shots ....

"mirror lock up feature used to clean the sensor. Try and enable that and take a shot"
Camera will successfully focus with (normal viewfinder illumination) but ONE shot only. Camera will again go back to Problematic Mode, not allowing anymore shots to focus, activate shutter, or (exhibit normal viewfinder illumination).

"Have you tried to use live mode and take several pictures that way?"
Camera will successfully focus thru LCD Screen and take multiple shots.

However back to viewfinder view and focus, the camera will again go back to Problematic Mode, not allowing anymore shots to focus, activate shutter, or (exhibit normal viewfinder illumination).

Thank You r1ch

I am not sure what you mean the view finder illumination. Do you mean you cannot see through the lens at all once it goes into problematic mode? Only the bottom green led light showing exposure?

So, if you change the lens to manual focus mode and put the camera in manual mode for exposure can you take multiple images even though the camera is in problematic mode? If the camera cannot focus, it may prevent you from taking a shot. Also if your camera is set to manual focus verification beep or viewfinder indicator, that would also have to be turned off.

Imaging Resources say this...... While the D90's viewfinder optics match those of the D80 pretty closely, one notable change is that the AF points are no longer etched on the viewfinder screen, but rather appear courtesy of an overlay LCD. This is nice because when the AF points aren't being displayed, there's nothing to obscure your view of the subject. The D90's viewfinder screen is similar to that on the recently announced D700.
https://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/D90/D90VIEWFINDER.HTM

The LCD overlay also sets up the On-demand framing grid and the Reference circle for Center-Weighted metering
If the lcd has a problem it will darken so you cannot see through it and thus you cannot see through the lens.
If you are in live view, it does not care about this lcd overlay.
This is only a guess at this point.
I did ask earlier did you do a factory reset on this camera?
To restoring Nikon D90 to its factory settings, just hold the [+/- Exposure Compensation] button and the [AF Mode] button down together, until the control panel turns off briefly while the camera resets itself to the factory default settings.
Have you updated the firmware to the latest Either 1.01 of 2.00

2 years 6 days ago #735994 by RESEARCH
"I am not sure what you mean the view finder illumination"

After the initial successful snapshot, the viewfinder immediately gets 'darkened' It definitly does NOT show as much light and becomes difficult/impossible to focus. Thus the camera cannot take a shot UNTIL I re-seat the lens. This has been the consistent problem. And BTW, Live LCD view is not as successful/reliable as I thought. It also becomes less reliable not allowing auto-focus, thus no picture.

As for using Manual Mode Focus I need to try that again ... I'll be back later with more info. Meanwhile thank you for your patience and assitance.

Mike 

2 years 5 days ago #736006 by Chuck Liley
I don't see how that could be happening.  Sounds like a malfunction of the sensor that identifies when your eye gets close to the viewfinder?

Photo Comments
1 year 11 months ago #736439 by RESEARCH
Hello Chuck

"Sounds like a malfunction of the sensor"

Well then there you have it!
Thank you ..

I've conducted every test possible, I'm done with it, (its not worth the cost of repair). I picked up a nice replacement N90 body for under $140 (less than 5K clicks). The only thing I might investigate is the possibility of picking up another N90 (for parts), or a sensor (for parts) and attempting a repair to get a 2nd camera as back up. But again who's got the time for something like that? 

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024