Looking for Copy Set Up (Slides & Negatives)

1 year 11 months ago #736496 by RESEARCH
Hi Gang

I'd like to put together a 'Copy Set Up' for a Nikon D90. Would like to duplicate both slides and 35mm negatives.

Looking at Lens or bellows arrangement? I've seen plenty of set ups involving
the Nikon ES-1 (and) ES-E28 Slide Copying Adapter - however they are
generally made for Cool Pix cameras.

How bout the Nikon PB-5 Bellows & PS-5 Slide Copying Adapter? Would I necessarily need a
NIKKOR Z MC 50mm f/2.8? (They are expensive)

Any Ideas?

Thank You

1 year 11 months ago #736497 by Screamin Scott
I would think any F mount 50 mm lens would work , even manual focus.

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
1 year 11 months ago #736499 by RESEARCH
Hello Scott!

Just to clarify: Could you possibly point out some of the requirements for the Lens? Do I understand the lens needs to be Micro Lens? Do I understand its more desirable to use a F50mm Fixed Focal Length Lens? Do I understand my current lenses are not accepatable:  Nikkor 18-70 Zoom, Sigma 10-20 Zoom, and Nikkor 70-300mm Zoom.

Thank you!
Mike

1 year 11 months ago #736501 by Screamin Scott
I used one of my macro lenses and an older bellows for some duplication. Then I used an older slide duplicator, but the best results I got was using an older scanner. It’s been years since I did that though thus I’m a bit foggy as to lenses I tried.. the scanner is an Epson perfection with ICE. No matter which way you take, the results will require a good bit of post processing to fix spots, etc.

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
The following user(s) said Thank You: RESEARCH
1 year 11 months ago #736502 by Screamin Scott
I used one of my macro lenses and an older bellows for some duplication. Then I used an older slide duplicator, but the best results I got was using an older scanner. It’s been years since I did that though thus I’m a bit foggy as to lenses I tried.. the scanner is an Epson perfection with ICE. No matter which way you take, the results will require a good bit of post processing to fix spots, etc.

Scott Ditzel Photography

Photo Comments
1 year 11 months ago #736504 by Ozzie_Traveller
G'day Mike

Some yrs back I had to go thru my father's 6000 colour slides to copy those of today's interest to the family. I used my Panny G series (ie; an m4/3 sensor) plus the std 14-42 lens and the results were 'damn fine matey'

I would suggest that "if you have a good lens then use it, but do not go out and buy something just for this task"

The actual rig I used for the copy process was an old slide viewer - ie- with slide in and out mechanism - but with the old viewing lens removed and the rear light bulb replaced with a new halogen light. Camera on tripod staring into the slide viewer, a 10mm extension tube to assist close focussing and very careful alignment to square things up.

Colour temp was easy to match and once the setup was locked into place on the tabletop it was insert & click ... insert and click

I suggest you not waste time with cleaning all slides before copying - only do dust-spotting in the computer if/when you're going to print or view publicly

Hope this helps
Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

Phil from the great land Downunder
www.flickr.com/photos/ozzie_traveller/sets/

1 year 11 months ago #736520 by Nikon Shooter
I use Nikon's ES solutions for that and with great pleasure.
I am looking for a for a PB-6 but not to copy slides.

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments
1 year 11 months ago #736523 by RESEARCH
Thanx Scott, Phil, Nikon Shooter and others ....(nice to see you guys again)

Nikon Shooter mentioned 'ES Solutions'. So yes there are several kits on ebay. Specifically the ES-2 package includes a a variety of accessories. The ES-1 does not. Here's one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/265651110890

But again, to be clear; we're still talking about a Fixed Focal Length Micro 40mm F2.8 Lens  Correct? We're also confirming the ES-2 lens adapter ring kit will fit the F Mount on my D90? correct? I don't mind picking one up this extra equipment for that task. I have hundreds of negatives and slides that all reguire transfer (and they're reasonably priced).

Unless one invests in a FAST GOOD QUALITY Flat Bed Scanner, I've only had marginal results scanning slides and Negs. I'm trying to avoid that route ... Prints turn out fine No Problem... But NOT negatives ...

So yes I'm going to invest in a Fixed Micro 40mm 2.8 Lens (and) the Nikon ES-2 lens adapter kit.

Thanx Again!

1 year 11 months ago #737872 by Nikon Shooter
You got the right kit with the ES2! Have a good time!

Light is free… capturing it is not!
Photo Comments

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024

Self-critique is an important component of your journey to improving as a photographer. Use these simple tips about critiquing your work as a means to make faster progress with your art.

Apr 08, 2024