Whats wrong with my Nikon?

13 years 1 month ago #32686 by LukeWeymark
Hi All.

Last August I purchased a Nikon D90, which I absolutley loved.

Recently though, it has developed an intermittant problem where the aperture suddenly rises to f90. If I try and take a photo while it is at f90 then the display changes to show 'ERR'. If I try and turn the camera off by the switch, it wont actually shut down and the 'ERR' continues to stay on the display sccreen. The only way to turn the camera off, it to remove the battery.

Even after removing the battery this doesn’t always fix the issue. As when the camera is started up again, the camera aperture goes straight back up to f90 again.

After a while the camera then decides to go back to normal and continue shooting normally.

If anyone has experienced anything like this with their Nikon DSLR please let me know.

Or if anyone has any ideas as to what might be causing these issues?

Thanks again,

Luke

13 years 1 month ago #32703 by arkady001
Sounds like a lens interface problem.
Ensure the lens is correctly mounted - wiggle it - even if it clicked-in, it might still be slightly off...

It may also be a slight bit of fluff or moisture on the contacts - try cleaning them - lens and camera - carefully and with a dry cloth.

Assuming the lens is a pre G-Series lens with an aperture ring, ensure the ring is locked in place by selecting the minimum aperture (f/22, f/32 or whatever) and applying the locking button on the lens.

13 years 1 month ago - 13 years 1 month ago #32711 by Joves

arkady001 wrote: Sounds like a lens interface problem.
Ensure the lens is correctly mounted - wiggle it - even if it clicked-in, it might still be slightly off...

It may also be a slight bit of fluff or moisture on the contacts - try cleaning them - lens and camera - carefully and with a dry cloth.

Assuming the lens is a pre G-Series lens with an aperture ring, ensure the ring is locked in place by selecting the minimum aperture (f/22, f/32 or whatever) and applying the locking button on the lens.

:goodpost:
This is where a majority of problems are. This is especially true if it is a third party lens. I had some Tamrons that could shift themselves off the contacts. I clean the cameras contacts with a Qitip spraying some electronics cleaner. If either resetting the lens or cleaning does not work then the lens could have a bad chip, you check this by mounting another lens to be sure it isnt the body or its contacts.

13 years 1 month ago #32712 by LukeWeymark
Thanks guys i'll definitely check the lens interface and camera contacts. I'm assuming the signs will be pretty obvious if they have a dust or grime build up.

Arkady001 - i'm not entirely sure what a pre G-Series lens is, but the the lens is a genuine Nikon 18-105mm lens which i purchased with the camera last year.

Thanks again for your help guys.

Cheers,
Luke

13 years 1 month ago #32795 by effron
I've read a few threads at various sites describing the same problem. Seems there might be a glitch in the D90....
see this...
photocamel.com/forum/nikon-forum/128460-d90-err-msg.html

Why so serious?
Photo Comments
13 years 1 month ago #33081 by arkady001

effron wrote: I've read a few threads at various sites describing the same problem. Seems there might be a glitch in the D90....
see this...
photocamel.com/forum/nikon-forum/128460-d90-err-msg.html

Sounds more like what I said - if it's only occurring on a new camera body, it may be caused by the contacts not being fully in contact.

If turning the lens to and fro several times cures the problem (as seems to be the case as mentioned in your link) then maybe the chroming on the lens mating surface is a few microns too thick.
Either that or there's some other contaminant (maybe assembly lube?) on the contacts when the cameras are shipped that is scoured off by turning vigourously a few times.

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024
Get 600+ Pro photo lessons for $1

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024