Primes or Zoms - Whats your choice?

12 years 11 months ago #49017 by jjharr1
[attachment:1]C:\Documents and Settings\jjharr1\My Documents\My Pictures\flowers.bmp[/attachment]
There is an old debate dating back to the early 60's when Nikon produced their 1st zoom lens.
It goes something like this...Which is better, fixed focal lenses (the term 'PRIME' came much later)
or zoom lenses.

Share which lens type you use most, and why. Thanks...Enquiring minds and all that.

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #49018 by jjharr1
My question.
My answer:
I have selected primes over zooms.
Yes, the cost is higher, but I am crazy for sharpness and control. Primes give me all that, and keep my feet moving, too.
;)
My camer bag includes: 24mm, 50mm, 85mm. and yes, a 80-200.

12 years 11 months ago #49300 by Joves
Actually both for me. I see lenses as strictly tools and I use the right tool for the job Im doing.

12 years 11 months ago - 12 years 11 months ago #49339 by Stealthy Ninja
What's a ZOM? :p

Now seriously....

Depends on which zoom and which prime...

There are zooms out there that are just as sharp (or sharper) than an a prime of the same aperture.
Canon 70-200 2.8L IS II
Nikon 70-200 2.8 VRII
Nikon 24-70 2.8
Nikon 14-24 2.8

for example

There's some pretty soft primes out there too.
Most 50 1.8 lenses are soft IMHO as well as some of the other 'budget' primes.

The benefit of a prime over a good sharp zoom is this.

Speed (wider aperture) and the shallow DOF that comes with it.
PERHAPS Cost... there are some primes that are very sharp and don't cost that much, Sigma's 50 1.4 and 85 1.4 are great examples. Also there's a much of 1.8 primes that give people a taste of shallow DOF for a reasonable price.

I have all the Nikon 2.8 zooms and a 50 1.4 (sigma). I use them all for various situations. I'm planning on getting a Sigma 85 1.4 for head shots eventually. The 50 1.4 looks great for this, but for head shots I have to get too close and the perspective distortion at that distance sorta makes heads look slightly too big.
12 years 11 months ago #50179 by JLBrown
My current gear consists of 3 primes ( Nikon 35, 50,180m ) and 2 zoom lenses ( Sigma 10-20, and Tamron 28-75). I made a move from Olympus to Nikon about 1 year ago. If money grew on trees, I would shoot with nothing but " Primes ". As a way to save money, I recently started exploring the older AI/ AIS primes and it tends to fit my shooting style better.

12 years 11 months ago #50186 by Screamin Scott

JLBrown wrote: My current gear consists of 3 primes ( Nikon 35, 50,180m ) and 2 zoom lenses ( Sigma 10-20, and Tamron 28-75). I made a move from Olympus to Nikon about 1 year ago. If money grew on trees, I would shoot with nothing but " Primes ". As a way to save money, I recently started exploring the older AI/ AIS primes and it tends to fit my shooting style better.

I have quite a few Nikkor Ai/Ais Primes...20,24,28,50,55 Micro,100,105,200,300 & also several zooms, 35-70, 36-72,35-135,50-135...Then I've got my AF lens (but I won't list those now)

Scott Ditzel Photography

www.flickr.com/photos/screaminscott/

Photo Comments
12 years 11 months ago #50520 by Jim Kyrn
I'd rather go with the Zoom lenses if I had to pick between the two.

12 years 11 months ago #50540 by chasrich
I like the long lens for candid portraits and unobtrusive street shots. It is a must for shooting critters that won't let you get too close. For proper framing though you sometimes need to zoom out so you get more than a few pores of a closer subject and for landscapes. I like the versatility a good optical range provides.

That being said I'm anxious to get a prime for my bag so I can get some of the image quality those lens often give you. Particularly in Macro shooting which I am anxious to embrace.

Zoom for now but likely to change in the short term.

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent
12 years 11 months ago #51047 by Exposure
Complex debates :) I shot both Prime or zoom depending on the situation. For instance while travelling when you don't really know what you'll see the flexibility of a zoom is great. In this situation I usually go for a 14-24, 24-70 and 70-200. For portrait shooting I prefer prime lenses like 50, 85, 135 and 200.

12 years 10 months ago - 12 years 10 months ago #76419 by Stealthy Ninja
ZOM ZOMS

12 years 10 months ago #76421 by McBeth Photography

Stealthy Ninja wrote: ZOM ZOMS

Quite disturbing.

It is what it is.
12 years 10 months ago #76423 by Stealthy Ninja
Quite RAD you mean?!
12 years 10 months ago #76427 by McBeth Photography

Stealthy Ninja wrote: Quite RAD you mean?!

lol. If rad means disturbing in the East, then yes, I meant rad. :blink: :banana: :ohmy: lol.

It is what it is.
12 years 10 months ago #76433 by Stealthy Ninja
OK RAD it is.!
12 years 10 months ago #76479 by chasrich

Stealthy Ninja wrote: ZOM ZOMS

I'm thinking Wonder Bread has a RAD law suit in the making...

“Amateurs worry about equipment, professionals worry about money, masters worry about light, I just make pictures… ” ~ Vernon Trent

• Facebook

817,251 / Likes

• Twitter

241,000 / Followers

• Google+

1,620,816 / Followers

Latest Reviews

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

The Sony FE 70-200mm f/2.8 GM OSS II is Sony’s flagship mirrorless zoom lens. As such, it’s loaded with features and has a top-shelf build quality that makes it a top pick!

Mar 27, 2024

The Leica SL2-S is an attractive, premium mirrorless camera with photo and video specs that are sure to impress. And with the legendary Leica name, you know this camera exudes quality!

Mar 26, 2024

Forum Top Posters

Latest Articles

The Olympus OM-D E-M10 Mark IV is a micro four thirds camera released in 2020. It’s an entry-level system along with the OM-D E-M5 Mark III. Use this guide to determine which one is best for you!

Apr 17, 2024

Blue hour photography might not be as well known as golden hour photography, but it is every bit as good a time to create epic images of landscapes. Learn how in this quick tutorial!

Apr 17, 2024

Nikon’s retro-looking Nikon Zfc is anything but retro. Under its classic body is a host of features and amenities that make it a worthwhile compact mirrorless camera for 2024.

Apr 15, 2024

Moving from taking snapshots of your dog to creating beautiful images doesn’t have to be that difficult! Use the tips outlined in this dog photography guide, and you’ll get better results in no time.

Apr 15, 2024

Acrylic print photos are a beautiful way to display your favorite images. But they don’t come without some questions. Get all the answers you need about this medium in this guide!

Apr 15, 2024

Where do you get your landscape photography inspiration? Is it from masters like Ansel Adams? Or perhaps viewing art from other genres? We’ve got these and a few other sources for you to check out!

Apr 10, 2024

The Canon EOS R50 is one of the newest R-system cameras from Canon. Is it worth your money? Find out all the details you need to know in this comprehensive review.

Apr 10, 2024

Too often, affordable online printing companies don’t meet your expectations of what a print should look like. But there are some choices that combine affordability with superb quality!

Apr 09, 2024